PDA

View Full Version : Local reactions to Rand Paul news stories?

Moxxar
05-21-2010, 12:56 PM
I have a question to you Kentuckians active here and active in supporting Rand. Can you give us a sense of the local reactions to Rand and the news stories about him?
It's all well and good to see national reactions, but in November only the reactions by Kentuckians will count. Can you tell us about it?

DeadheadForPaul
05-21-2010, 12:57 PM
I have a question to you Kentuckians active here and active in supporting Rand. Can you give us a sense of the local reactions to Rand and the news stories about him?
It's all well and good to see national reactions, but in November only the reactions by Kentuckians will count. Can you tell us about it?

agreed

Would love to hear this

Are your family/friends asking about it?
Are local GOP commenting on it?
What about people who vote but pay little attention to politics?

KanTuck22
05-21-2010, 01:00 PM
All of the non-Rand Paul supporters that I have talked to are siding with Rand on this one. They believe that it is an old campaign tactic by the left and some of them said that the media was really being unfair to Rand. This is nothing new to Kentuckians. We have been called racists for years, if you have ever followed Kentucky Basketball you know what I am talking about.

TruthisTreason
05-21-2010, 01:00 PM
The only thing I'm hearing is

Jack Conway is a pro-choice liberal!

I don't think the national media or the national supporters really "get" Kentucky.

libertygrl
05-21-2010, 01:05 PM
So perhaps the more the Left slams Rand, the more sympathy he may receive from those who are also Greyson Republicans?

TruthisTreason
05-21-2010, 01:06 PM
So perhaps the more the Left slams Rand, the more sympathy he may receive from those who are also Greyson Republicans?

I can't stress enough how many democrats are DINOs here. Roughly 1/3 or 1/2 of the democrat party are Grayson Republicans in Kentucky.

Patrick Henry
05-21-2010, 01:08 PM
My wife is from KY and all of her family still lives there. They could care less about this what is IMO a non issue. In fact, I think that they admire Rand more. Granted, they are an intelligent bunch that really don't listen to a thing the MSM says anyway. Even the few members who do not support Rand are capable of understanding that Rand isn't a racist nor is he calling for the repeal of the CRA.

MRK
05-21-2010, 01:09 PM
All of the non-Rand Paul supporters that I have talked to are siding with Rand on this one. They believe that it is an old campaign tactic by the left and some of them said that the media was really being unfair to Rand. This is nothing new to Kentuckians. We have been called racists for years, if you have ever followed Kentucky Basketball you know what I am talking about.

This is good anecdotal information. What are the age/gender demographics of these people?

Jordan
05-21-2010, 01:11 PM
I can't stress enough how many democrats are DINOs here. Roughly 1/3 or 1/2 of the democrat party are Grayson Republicans in Kentucky.

So true.

There's a lot of very conservative people registered as Democrats due only to the old school unions of the past.

SWATH
05-21-2010, 01:16 PM
The people I've spoken to here don't see it as an issue. They agree with Rand and don't care about the hype.

Inkblots
05-21-2010, 01:18 PM
The people I've spoken to here don't see it as an issue. They agree with Rand and don't care about the hype.

This jives with what I've been thinking. With the right media finessing, I think the Paul campaign can win this news cycle.

Think about it - 3 months from now, what are people going to look back on most unfavorably: the fact that Rand Paul took a nuanced and principled position on a difficult issue, or the fact that career politician and lawyer Jack Conway demagogued him and out and out lied about Rand's position on national television?

If you thought the "intellectually dishonest" line of attack worked well on Trayson, you ain't seen nothing yet!

KanTuck22
05-21-2010, 01:19 PM
This is good anecdotal information. What are the age/gender demographics of these people?

Not a huge sample number, lol, 4 people. All registered Democrats but consider themselves conservative. Age is about 40 - 60. We were just shooting the breeze about politics, they didn't know that I was a Paul supporter.