PDA

View Full Version : Rand on Capital Punishment?

FreeTraveler
05-21-2010, 09:11 AM
Somebody asked me, so I went looking. I can't find a statement of his position anywhere. Can anyone help? Anyone? Bueller?

MRoCkEd
05-21-2010, 09:15 AM
He supports it.
That's all I know.

specsaregood
05-21-2010, 09:18 AM
He supports it.
That's all I know.

Yup, he said he supports it in one of the debates/forums (i think it was the last one). He didn't look like he was happy about taking that position though. -My impression only.

sirgonzo420
05-21-2010, 09:42 AM
What's wrong with supporting it?

To me, capital punishment is more merciful than life imprisonment.

specsaregood
05-21-2010, 09:45 AM
What's wrong with supporting it?

To me, capital punishment is more merciful than life imprisonment.

I think the problem some have with it is a lack of trust in the judicial system and the government in general. I'm not sure I trust the system not to send innocent people to death.

jmdrake
Has his opponent taken an issue on it? No? Then neither should Rand. It's not a campaign issue.

dr. hfn
he supports it? :(

sirgonzo420
05-21-2010, 09:47 AM
I think the problem some have with it is a lack of trust in the judicial system and the government in general. I'm not sure I trust the system not to send innocent people to death.

But you trust them enough for them to have the power to imprison innocent people for life (or if not life, a loooong time)?

MRoCkEd
05-21-2010, 09:47 AM
Has his opponent taken an issue on it? No? Then neither should Rand. It's not a campaign issue.
Jack Conway is a huge supporter of the death penalty, and has on many occasions worked to speed up the execution process.

specsaregood
05-21-2010, 09:48 AM
But you trust them enough for them to have the power to imprison innocent people for life (or if not life, a loooong time)?

Nope, but at least with imprisonment there is a remote chance of being redeemed later on. eg: people that have been released in recent years due to DNA testing.

Jack Conway is a huge supporter of the death penalty, and has on many occasions worked to speed up the execution process.
Yup

DeadheadForPaul
05-21-2010, 09:49 AM
Capital punishment is a state issue

Let's try to avoid talking about state issues as much as possible

specsaregood
05-21-2010, 09:51 AM
Capital punishment is a state issue

Let's try to avoid talking about state issues as much as possible

It isn't a state issue for federal crimes. When he was asked about it in the debate, they specifically asked about federal crimes.

sirgonzo420
05-21-2010, 09:53 AM
Nope, but at least with imprisonment there is a remote chance of being redeemed later on. eg: people that have been released in recent years due to DNA testing.

Yup

I figured that was your angle (the possibility of eventual release), and I don't completely disagree, but I think it's a bit extreme to hand out life sentences instead of death sentences to those convicted beyond reasonable doubt of a crime worthy of capital punishment.

It costs a whooooole lot to imprison someone for life.

jmdrake
05-21-2010, 09:53 AM

Then do the majority of people in KY support the death penalty? If yes then Rand has no reason to bring it up no matter what his position is. If no then I doubt Conway would want to make an issue of it. Single focus people....single focus.

sirgonzo420
05-21-2010, 09:54 AM
Then do the majority of people in KY support the death penalty? If yes then Rand has no reason to bring it up no matter what his position is. If no then I doubt Conway would want to make an issue of it. Single focus people....single focus.

A good deal in Kentucky support the death penalty.

specsaregood
05-21-2010, 09:54 AM
I figured that was your angle (the possibility of eventual release), and I don't completely disagree, but I think it's a bit extreme to hand out life sentences instead of death sentences to those convicted beyond reasonable doubt of a crime worthy of capital punishment.

I'm with you. Personally I'd probably just suicide myself if I was sent to prison for life without a chance for parole and I was guilty. But if I was innocent, I'm not so sure I would.

jmdrake
05-21-2010, 09:57 AM

It costs a whooole lot to keep someone in prison long enough to exhaust their appeals and eventually get the death penalty too. On a year by year basis death penalty imprisonment is more expensive because of the higher security. And there are times when people have been found guilty "beyond a reasonable doubt" of a capital crime only to find out later that they were innocent "beyond a reasonable doubt". (Once you've been convicted the burn of proof shifts to you). That's the death penalty appeal process is so long. Anyway, it's not a campaign issue. Rand isn't running for AG of KY.

sirgonzo420
05-21-2010, 09:58 AM
It costs a whooole lot to keep someone in prison long enough to exhaust their appeals and eventually get the death penalty too. On a year by year basis death penalty imprisonment is more expensive because of the higher security. And there are times when people have been found guilty "beyond a reasonable doubt" of a capital crime only to find out later that they were innocent "beyond a reasonable doubt". (Once you've been convicted the burn of proof shifts to you). That's the death penalty appeal process is so long. Anyway, it's not a campaign issue. Rand isn't running for AG of KY.

I agree.

And you're right - it shouldn't be a campaign issue.

Paulitical Correctness
05-21-2010, 10:17 AM
It's disappointing nonetheless.

FreeTraveler
05-21-2010, 10:20 AM
At the Federal level, or State level? Anybody got a link?

DeadheadForPaul
05-21-2010, 10:24 AM
It isn't a state issue for federal crimes. When he was asked about it in the debate, they specifically asked about federal crimes.

Ah

my bad

Brett85
05-21-2010, 10:26 AM
It's disappointing nonetheless.

I don't see why. I've never really understood the libertarian position on the death penalty. In my opinion somebody who takes an innocent human life should give up any liberties they once had. The death penalty is a just punishment for the worst crimes. It usually takes about ten years to get carried out once all the appeals are exhausted. It's not like the death penalty takes away liberty from people who did nothing wrong.

Paulitical Correctness
05-21-2010, 10:27 AM
I don't see why. I've never really understood the libertarian position on the death penalty. In my opinion somebody who takes an innocent human life should give up any liberties they once had. The death penalty is a just punishment for the worst crimes. It usually takes about ten years to get carried out once all the appeals are exhausted. It's not like the death penalty takes away liberty from people who did nothing wrong.

If I had faith in our justice system then sure, I'd support the death penalty. If just one innocent life is lost because of a corrupted system, though, then that's enough for me to oppose it.

sirgonzo420
05-21-2010, 10:28 AM
If I had faith in our justice system then sure, I'd support the death penalty. If just one innocent life is lost because of a corrupted system, though, then that's enough for me to oppose it.

Is an innocent life "lost" when an innocent man serves a life sentence?

Paulitical Correctness
05-21-2010, 10:32 AM
Is an innocent life "lost" when an innocent man serves a life sentence?

More or less.

MRoCkEd
05-21-2010, 10:35 AM
On principle I'm not opposed to the death penalty, but I would prefer not to have it considering how incompetent and corrupt the government is.

DeadheadForPaul
05-21-2010, 10:36 AM
Capital punishment is one of those where I flip back and forth

It's not even in my top 30 issues

TruthisTreason
05-21-2010, 10:39 AM
Conway also supports capital punishment.