PDA

View Full Version : Young People Don't Want to Fund Baby Boomers' Retirement...

michaelwise
10-12-2007, 05:05 AM
The Young People Don"t Want to Fund the Baby Boomer's Retirement to a Point Where There is Nothing Left for Them!

And her in lyes the crux of the matter, which no one dare speak of. Why all the support for Ron Paul from the younger voters? One of the main reasons. This point of truth will help us win over older voters, who do not want to see their children suffer unnecessarily. Please discuss.

Mortikhi
10-12-2007, 05:08 AM
Is it bad for me to say that I absolute hate the "Me generation"?

michaelwise
10-12-2007, 05:11 AM
This is not about "me", it's about reality. People still do think logically.

LibertyEagle
10-12-2007, 05:23 AM

Well, then you would be hating the same people who put Dr. Paul in office and who have been keeping him there for YEARS.

Look, the reason the social security trust fund is broke, is because our illustrious public servants in Washington, D.C. stole, errr.. "borrowed" the money out of that fund and SPENT IT, some time ago. The baby boomers were not the generation who agreed to this stupid trust fund. Yet, it was our money which was extracted from us by force, put in this fund and then stolen by our government. We're just as ticked as you are!!!

So, for those of you young people who are irritated because for a few years, you've paid into a system, that you know you will never see one dollar back from. Imagine how those of us who were forced to pay into this system for 30 years plus feel like. When we know WE won't see a dime either!!

Sematary
10-12-2007, 06:09 AM
The Young People Don"t Want to Fund the Baby Boomer's Retirement to a Point Where There is Nothing Left for Them!

And her in lyes the crux of the matter, which no one dare speak of. Why all the support for Ron Paul from the younger voters? One of the main reasons. This point of truth will help us win over older voters, who do not want to see their children suffer unnecessarily. Please discuss.

I hate to tell you this but I funded my own damn retirement. Don't blame me because the government spent it all.

constituent
10-12-2007, 06:37 AM
It is true though. much of the me generation, like so many of my own are expecting some magical retirement land called sixty-five, the thing is they
expect to hang on for another forty years, and congratulations to those who
do..

but that's 35 years of breakfast at dennys on everyone else's dime... hey, i could
probably eat out every once in awhile too if i had a check coming worth even a couple hundred bucks each month (it's probably been two years since I ate out, atleast three since i've seen a movie). so until i stop seeing retirees coming in and out of dennys and ihop every morning, I will be ultra opposed to continuing their checks, even next month.... cut it off, or move it to a lonestar type program.

sorry, the money you paid (retired gen) is gone. now, just like anyone else who looses their job, you're going to have to suck it up and work some job you just don't have the energy for (wal-mart greeter, telemarketer), or go be dependent on your friends/family/community... or accept that payment will no longer be in the form of a check... pretty simple

as for the me generation's guilty parties' redemption, they've got one chance as I see it. I'm sure they won't let us down.

thuja
10-12-2007, 07:12 AM
no matter what your ages, you denny's eaters won't last long anyway, so no worries.

LibertyEagle
10-12-2007, 07:17 AM
but that's 35 years of breakfast at dennys on everyone else's dime...

That's an odd way of thinking about it. These people paid into what the government said, was a trust fund. If the government had not STOLEN it, it would be this money that they woulde be getting. Not anyone else's. You know, their OWN money.

Now, I didn't say I agreed with Social Security, because I don't. I never have. But, to imply that seniors are free-loaders is not exactly accurate. Most didn't want this SS system anymore than you do and would be quite happy to have their own damn money that was stolen from them, to be returned to them.

10thAmendmentMan
10-12-2007, 07:20 AM
Social security was the biggest pyramid scheme ever devised. It works fine as long as your population and economy grow fast enough but, unfortunately for the practicality of SS, having an infinite number of people doesn't work; it has to break down at some point.

jointhefightforfreedom
10-12-2007, 07:20 AM

There isn't enough young people to pay for them anyways !
See my blog here The Single Greatest Threat to America (http://www.jointhefightforfreedom.com/node/88)

DjLoTi
10-12-2007, 07:23 AM
I have an idea... lets pass a law that'll make every generation below us pay for our retirement..... hmmm... what do you think???

Nefertiti
10-12-2007, 07:28 AM
but that's 35 years of breakfast at dennys on everyone else's dime... hey, i could
probably eat out every once in awhile too if i had a check coming worth even a couple hundred bucks each month (it's probably been two years since I ate out, atleast three since i've seen a movie). so until i stop seeing retirees coming in and out of dennys and ihop every morning, I will be ultra opposed to continuing their checks, even next month.... cut it off, or move it to a lonestar type program.

You have a point there. The US is a wealthy country, even a lot of the poor here are actually wealthy compared to the average person in some countries. Even those on welfare have ipods and microwave ovens. I see fancy haircuts on people buyng prepackaged junk food at the supermarket with a Link card. Even some people officially living in poverty own cars. Until you have been to a third world country, you don't know what poverty really is. Most Americans can cut back on their spending if they actually wanted to do so.

Nefertiti
10-12-2007, 07:30 AM
Social security was the biggest pyramid scheme ever devised. It works fine as long as your population and economy grow fast enough but, unfortunately for the practicality of SS, having an infinite number of people doesn't work; it has to break down at some point.

That is one reason to legalize all the illegals. They are young and would increase the working taxpayer base.

thuja
10-12-2007, 07:32 AM
That's an odd way of thinking about it. These people paid into what the government said, was a trust fund. If the government had not STOLEN it, it would be this money that they woulde be getting. Not anyone else's. You know, their OWN money.

Now, I didn't say I agreed with Social Security, because I don't. I never have. But, to imply that seniors are free-loaders is not exactly accurate. Most didn't want this SS system anymore than you do and would be quite happy to have their own damn money that was stolen from them, to be returned to them.

thanks! i thought it was an odd way of thiking about it too, but words failed me. i just couldnt help seeing a picture of malnourished breakfast people coming out of fast food places.

thuja
10-12-2007, 07:37 AM
I have an idea... lets pass a law that'll make every generation below us pay for our retirement..... hmmm... what do you think???

good idea. i always thought youth should not be wasted working.i am going to start working someday soon.

Sematary
10-12-2007, 08:26 AM

I'll take my $60 grand right now and they can opt me out!
Oh - and I want 30 years interest on that money as well. If there are any social security people out there, pm me and I'll tell you where you can stuff the check. :)

Sematary
10-12-2007, 08:27 AM

They did. Social Security.

Sematary
10-12-2007, 08:28 AM
That is one reason to legalize all the illegals. They are young and would increase the working taxpayer base.

Key word is ILLEGAL. Toss them out for breaking our laws and then allow them to re-enter LEGALLY!

LibertyEagle
10-12-2007, 08:29 AM
They did. Social Security.

No, actually our money was supposedly going to be invested and "saved" for us, because they told us we were too stupid to do it for ourselves.

LibertyEagle
10-12-2007, 08:30 AM
I'll take my $60 grand right now and they can opt me out!
Oh - and I want 30 years interest on that money as well. If there are any social security people out there, pm me and I'll tell you where you can stuff the check. :)

I totally agree. :)

Sematary
10-12-2007, 08:33 AM
I totally agree. :)

Let's see, 60 grand with an interest rate (I'll be fair) of 8% (I would have gotten at least that in the stock market), compounded daily, blah blah blah - Let's see, some quick bullshit math and the government owes me.....

I think 2 mil will do it. :D

thomaspaine23
10-12-2007, 08:34 AM

There have been many legal rulings etc in which the courts said SS is not insurance, nor a trust fund, but merely a TAX and optional benefits plan (paid out or not paid out at the discretion of the gub'ment).

Sematary
10-12-2007, 08:37 AM
There have been many legal rulings etc in which the courts said SS is not insurance, nor a trust fund, but merely a TAX and optional benefits plan (paid out or not paid out at the discretion of the gub'ment).

It is a PROMISE that the government will not be able to keep. Guess I'll never see my 2 mil, huh?

LibertyEagle
10-12-2007, 08:39 AM

That is not what they said when they started it. I remember. I was a child at the time, but I remember how very ticked off my parents were. I remember them talking about how it was all a lie. That it was not a trust fund as the government was calling it. I remember my parents then, referring to it as the SS TAX! They were often corrected and told, oh no, it is a TRUST FUND. My parents knew that the gummit would pull this crap and lo and behold, they did.

DjLoTi
10-12-2007, 08:42 AM
No, actually our money was supposedly going to be invested and "saved" for us, because they told us we were too stupid to do it for ourselves.

So in other words, they stole the money of the people back then, and now it's spiraling out of control so fast (because of health advancements) they're losing the treasury.

oh yeah, i guess it hasn't been too long that the average lifespan has been over the age of 65

LibertyEagle
10-12-2007, 08:46 AM
So in other words, they stole the money of the people back then, and now it's spiraling out of control so fast (because of health advancements) they're losing the treasury.

oh yeah, i guess it hasn't been too long that the average lifespan has been over the age of 65

No DJ. They stole the money out of this fund, YEARS AGO. So, it was not there to be invested. Most of the baby boomers are still working, by the way.

And no, I did not say I agreed with social security. It pisses me off and it always has. It also pisses me off that they stole all my money under a complete lie and still continue to do so. If you go back and read what they told people when they were pushing this thing on the American people, you will see that it was pitched as a savings account. Where they would be saving and investing YOUR OWN money, which they would dole out to you when you retired.

constituent
10-12-2007, 08:47 AM

Well hell yeah LibertyEagle, we hadn't dialogued in a little while... glad it got your eyes...

My problem is that there is a generation and a half who cried and moaned against "communism" because they didn't want any of the negatives, but now
they've gotten older and want all of the "positives (we get shafted with all of the negative, none of the positive... i don't consider "univeral healthcare" a positive)"

now this does not apply to everyone and many have done their part.... but there is a high level of correlation between seniors and boomers who have done their part and not using the VA/Medicare, not relying on their social security check for anything (thought they still receive it). these folks also don't eat fast-food breakfast but maybe on a very rare occassion. and of course there are exceptions to everything, and a broad spectrum of individuality amongst seniors as amongst youth... but our nation is awfully liberal with mischaracterisations and collective thinking in regards to the younger generations, so why not?

Here's the other thing, still on paragraph 1 from the quote, do you keep an eye on your investments? You're a smart lady, so of course you do. I'm sorry, but those are your resources you worked hard for... if you're going to trust your elected officials to take care of it for you, hadn't you better keep a good eye on those politicians? Hadn't you better give some serious thought to the actions those elected officials are taking, and the consequences of those actions in terms of what our society can and cannot afford?

This is the same generation that out of some warped, t.v. borne patriotic furvor handed over the keys to their children's education, the economy, their own future to the fascists who've been running the show for the last half-century. I'm sorry they were ill-informed and misdirected by the broadcast networks, but i've done my part to stay informed and take action based on the information i come across and process.

As it is, I've got the next generation to worry over, and cannot afford to pick up the slack left by two generations of rampant consumerism (that has not stopped mind you). The economy is in s* shape, i don't care what the smiley faces on t.v. say... our future has been mortgaged by the war mongers and their enabling voters to China and Saudi Arabia, hell of legacy.

-rant.

LibertyEagle
10-12-2007, 09:01 AM
Here's the other thing, still on paragraph 1 from the quote, do you keep an eye on your investments? You're a smart lady, so of course you do. I'm sorry, but those are your resources you worked hard for... if you're going to trust your elected officials to take care of it for you, hadn't you better keep a good eye on those politicians? Hadn't you better give some serious thought to the actions those elected officials are taking, and the consequences of those actions in terms of what our society can and cannot afford?

Well, of course everyone should keep an eye on their own investments. Nor, should anyone that has a brain, want to cede control of their own investments to some politicians, or ANYONE for that matter.

I'm not sure what your point is here. I have clearly said that I have been against the Social Security system since the 1st day I had to pay it. Actually even before that.

This is the same generation that out of some warped, t.v. borne patriotic furvor handed over the keys to their children's education, the economy, their own future to the fascists who've been running the show for the last half-century. I'm sorry they were ill-informed and misdirected by the broadcast networks, but i've done my part to stay informed and take action based on the information i come across and process.

It is not the boomers who let this POS legislation get passed. I realize it is easy to blame the current state of affairs on the older generation. That is what my generation did too, when we were in our 20s.

As far as who has stayed informed... good for you. I have too and I have also been fighting against this crap since I was a child and my parents had me running up and down streets, knocking on doors, handing out Goldwater campaign literature.

As it is, I've got the next generation to worry over, and cannot afford to pick up the slack left by two generations of rampant consumerism (that has not stopped mind you). The economy is in s* shape, i don't care what the smiley faces on t.v. say... our future has been mortgaged by the war mongers and their enabling voters to China and Saudi Arabia, hell of legacy.

I'm not sure how old you are, Constituent. But, how about you handle your own generation? You know, you who think you have to buy houses you cannot afford, apply for risky loans, those who seem to think they have a right to every new techie toy out there... ipods, iphones, the latest computer, the latest game system. The throw away generation. Toss it out and buy a new one.

Geez. At least my generation tried to take care of what we purchased. Of course, our parents were in the Depression. So, some of those lessons still filtered down to us. Heck, my mother washed aluminum foil and reused it, made her own lye soap, rarely used dry cleaners. We washed our own clothes, mowed our own lawns, painted our own houses, cleaned our own houses, took care of our equipment, etc.

Sematary
10-12-2007, 09:08 AM
Well, of course everyone should keep an eye on their own investments. Nor, should anyone that has a brain, want to cede control of their own investments to some politicians, or ANYONE for that matter.

I'm not sure what your point is here. I have clearly said that I have been against the Social Security system since the 1st day I had to pay it. Actually even before that.

It is not the boomers who let this POS legislation get passed. I realize it is easy to blame the current state of affairs on the older generation. That is what my generation did too, when we were in our 20s.

As far as who has stayed informed... good for you. I have too and I have also been fighting against this crap since I was a child and my parents had me running up and down streets, knocking on doors, handing out Goldwater campaign literature.

I'm not sure how old you are, Constituent. But, how about you handle your own generation? You know, you who think you have to buy houses you cannot afford, apply for risky loans, those who seem to think they have a right to every new techie toy out there... ipods, iphones, the latest computer, the latest game system. The throw away generation. Toss it out and buy a new one.

Geez. At least my generation tried to take care of what we purchased. Of course, our parents were in the Depression. So, some of those lessons still filtered down to us. Heck, my mother washed aluminum foil and reused it, made her own lye soap, rarely used dry cleaners. We washed our own clothes, mowed our own lawns, painted our own houses, cleaned our own houses, took care of our equipment, etc.

Hmmm, my generation (end of the boomers) smoked dope and skipped school. ;)

constituent
10-12-2007, 09:30 AM

^ you don't realize how funny that first paragraph is to me.
(furthermore, look at the stats, it wasn't my generation doing the buyer/selling, lending/borrowing)

handle my own generation? sorry, i'm busy raising my child, the next generation... they (my generation) can
sink or swim on their own.

the second paragraph.... i do that now... except for the lye soap part
'cuz you have to have a permit to do that.

LibertyEagle
10-12-2007, 09:30 AM
Hmmm, my generation (end of the boomers) smoked dope and skipped school. ;)

Perhaps it was who you chose to hang with. ;)

LibertyEagle
10-12-2007, 09:47 AM
^ you don't realize how funny that first paragraph is to me.
(furthermore, look at the stats, it wasn't my generation doing the buyer/selling, lending/borrowing)

handle my own generation? sorry, i'm busy raising my child, the next generation... they (my generation) can
sink or swim on their own.

It was you who took off blaming everything on the boomers. So, unless you want the same thing said about your own generation and it WILL BE, perhaps you should focus on your own generation. As far as the lending/borrowing goes, your generation is doing plenty of it your own selves. Not to mention not fathoming the need to save anything. It's all seems to be about immediate gratification.

I have never said that my generation was anything to write home about, but this BS about blaming all the problems on us, is beyond ludicrous and comes off as just a bunch of whining.

...if you're going to trust your elected officials to take care of it for you, hadn't you better keep a good eye on those politicians? Hadn't you better give some serious thought to the actions those elected officials are taking, and the consequences of those actions in terms of what our society can and cannot afford?

And what, pray tell, do you mean by this statement? I don't trust my elected officials with anything, much less my money.

constituent
10-12-2007, 10:01 AM
i didn't blame on these problems on the boomers, i think you need to step away and reread the thread, or just move along. but please, calm down. discussion forum, discussion.

LibertyEagle
10-12-2007, 10:25 AM
i didn't blame on these problems on the boomers, i think you need to step away and reread the thread, or just move along. but please, calm down. discussion forum, discussion.

I saw things like this, constituent.

angelatc
10-12-2007, 10:27 AM
Note that the government doesn't include the debt of the SS obligation in their accounting, much to the dismay of the GAO. The government argued that it should not have to show it as a long term obligation because they have the power to merely stop paying benefits when they choose to.

I also saw a socialist progressive support taking the money for SCHIP out of the funding for MEdicare, because apparently the children are more important than the retirees.

She actually made a (rather mean spirited) argument that somebody who funded a program their entire working life should not be allowed to draw as much as they needed from it if it meant the children were going to suffer.

Chilling stuff.

LibertyEagle
10-12-2007, 10:29 AM
Yeah, so why do so many people trust the government to manage their money and their lives? Do they not think?

Tin_Foil_Hat
10-12-2007, 10:37 AM
All I have to say is...

I would have opted out for the last 40 years. But no, I didn't have that possibility. Now that I'm ready to start collecting, there better be some money for me or someone is going to get hurt.

I don't care how they fix this problem but I better see some of my freakin' money.

Matt Collins
10-12-2007, 11:08 AM
You have a point there. The US is a wealthy country, even a lot of the poor here are actually wealthy compared to the average person in some countries. Even those on welfare have ipods and microwave ovens. I see fancy haircuts on people buyng prepackaged junk food at the supermarket with a Link card. Even some people officially living in poverty own cars. Until you have been to a third world country, you don't know what poverty really is. Most Americans can cut back on their spending if they actually wanted to do so.I think you are confusing 'being poor' with 'being broke'. The two are not one in the same.

paulitics
10-12-2007, 11:12 AM

The older generation don't give 2 craps about the kids. They want their social security, medicare, prescription drug benefits, and to hell with the next generation who will be bankrupt because of it. I'm speaking from experience who has talked to thousands of senior citizens about this.

Why do you think they vote for the most socialistic politicians, both republican and democrat alike.

And there are exceptions to this rule of course, but I would say about 75% of them are pretty callous.

michaelwise
10-12-2007, 12:33 PM
With so many young people supporting the campaign, and knowing the truism of the subject of this thread, I just wanted to get ahead of this subject, and have a discussion on it, before the MSM gets a chance to spin a story concerning this, against us. I am also considered a boomer, born in '61. I understand that SS will be a big mess, and needs to be cleaned up.

This campaign must not be misconstrued, into an us against them. This campaign not be seen as dividing the young vote from the old vote. This campaign must unite the younger generation with the older generation, because we still do care about each other, and need each other. Lets get it together.