PDA

View Full Version : How to increase libertarianism?

yokna7
05-20-2010, 10:04 PM
The dire condition of our country has produced the libertarian bounce, unfortunately it seems the most popular aspect of libertarianism is the belligerent oppostion to the federal government in the form of middle-aged, white militias. Which I love, but this is easy pickings for the liberal media to deduce to "racist" or "extremism".

So, in this current climate how do we increase libertarianism and lose the stereotypes?

I think we simply have to romanticize the already romantic principle of self-determination. This is an issue that would appeal to the entire spectrum. Would it make more sense pr wise to put less emphasis on gun rights, and use the term "states rights" less? I acknowledge these are very essential pieces to puzzle, but the strongest aspect of libertarianism is self-determination.

And personally I don't think we need to lose the stereotypes, but in regards to gaining voters it may be a positive?

Sentient Void
05-20-2010, 10:35 PM
I believe the strongest and most powerful message of libertarian philosophy, while encompassing it easily - is the NAP (Noon-Aggression Principle) on force, theft and fraud.

Focus on this. This is informative, basic and simple to understand - and can introduce tons of debate to stem from it.

chadhb
05-20-2010, 10:58 PM
If Libertarians are for no borders, then i'll stick with Republicans. I'm asking because that is what i've been hearing around here.

JCF
05-20-2010, 11:02 PM
Anti-authoritarian message to the young crowd... Personally I'm not AS extreme as the liberals are on the issue because we have to look at the reality of things, most people calm down and start to not care. If we just play the "FUCK THE POLICE!" card they (the mainstream American) will start to ignore us as they do the liberals, eventually.

We need to take a good hard look at the issue and start to explain our positions without coming off as foaming-at-the mouth liberals.

yokna7
05-20-2010, 11:05 PM
If Libertarians are for no borders, then i'll stick with Republicans. I'm asking because that is what i've been hearing around here.

Staunch libertarians do support open borders, but most reject this concept in a welfare state. It would be preferable to abolish welfare than to regulate immigration.

Sentient Void
05-20-2010, 11:11 PM

It's not that simple. Those who are espousing elimination of all borders, etc are probably talking about reaching the 'ideal' libertarian society - which for some may mean an anarcho-capitalist society where all land, water, property, etc are privatized - at that point there will be no need for borders - as they'd be irrelevant.

Under the current system of government we have, due to the welfare state and other policies, any libertarian with a functional brain doesn't support open and eliminated borders.

Libertarians are generally split between minarchists and the anarcho-capitalists I mentioned above. Minarchists generally believe in borders and protecting those borders, but also having a pretty loose immigration policy (which is VERY good for the economy, btw, as this country was built by immigrants, as an example).

Libertarians also agree on the majority of issues, but there is some debate about things such as abortion, etc.

cindy25
05-20-2010, 11:22 PM
focus on what in Libertarianism is popular, such as being against bank bailouts, against a draft/national service, no benefits for illegals.

avoid attacking their precious ponzi schemes (SS, Medicare)

Taco John
05-20-2010, 11:28 PM

Where is this silly idea that you are either a libertarian or a republican coming from?