PDA

View Full Version : A Teaching Moment for Rand Paul

michaelwise
05-20-2010, 05:38 PM
This is a teaching moment for Rand Paul, what with all the Civil Rights questions flying about. This is a chance to teach the masses what this Libertarian thing is all about. They keep hearing the word but aren't sure what it means. Libertarian ideology and philosophy is aliened with what libertarians believe about their views on the Civil Rights Act. This is one thing that differentiates them from Democrats and Republicans. Rand should use this time right now while he is still hot in the news to explain this Libertarian thing to the people watching.

dannno
05-20-2010, 05:40 PM
You're right, I actually had a leftist friend of mine email me today saying that he wasn't thrilled with the way Rand was treated on Maddow.. and he's a big supporter of Air America and such.

He understood what Rand was saying before the first couple minutes of the interview were even over.

ItsTime
05-20-2010, 05:46 PM
This is a teaching moment for Rand Paul, what with all the Civil Rights questions flying about. This is a chance to teach the masses what this Libertarian thing is all about. They keep hearing the word but aren't sure what it means. Libertarian ideology and philosophy is aliened with what libertarians believe about their views on the Civil Rights Act. This is one thing that differentiates them from Democrats and Republicans. Rand should use this time right now while he is still hot in the news to explain this Libertarian thing to the people watching.

I am glad this is all happening. It is giving us an opportunity to show the hypocrisy of race laws and how often they do more harm than good.

aspiringconstitutionalist
05-20-2010, 05:54 PM
Unfortunately Rand capitulated and now says he wouldn't support any efforts to repeal the 1964 Civil Rights Act... :( sigh...

I'm beginning to see why Lew Rockwell despises all involvements with politics. Politics really corrupts people. Even someone like Rand Paul.......

michaelwise
05-20-2010, 06:06 PM
Libertarians are very very close to what Republicans used to be like 100 years ago. Rand should use this statement in his Libertarian classes.

michaelwise
05-20-2010, 06:46 PM
There is virtually no racism in the United States anymore. There are very few police reports or criminal charges of discrimination today. The Civil Rights Act and Martin Luther King's contribution went a long way in making that happen. A minor change I might have made would not have made much of a difference in getting us where we are today. It's a minor difference in ideology. There, Rand can say that too.

AlexMerced
05-20-2010, 06:59 PM
I think Rand handled that fine, and his statement was acurate and honest, in that while he doesn't agree with certain parts of the bill, it's not on his agenda to repeal, which is something there trying to make it out to be... it's a perfectly fine statement

rich34
05-20-2010, 07:02 PM
Unfortunately Rand capitulated and now says he wouldn't support any efforts to repeal the 1964 Civil Rights Act... :( sigh...

I'm beginning to see why Lew Rockwell despises all involvements with politics. Politics really corrupts people. Even someone like Rand Paul.......

Come on now! You wanna get a liberty candidate elected or not? News flash! Ron wasn't as "pure" when he was trying to get elected back into the house in 97! You people need to lighten up a little. Sometimes you gotta dance in order to get elected. How many Ron Paul's are in congress again? Oh that's right 1 and it's because of this mindset!

Justinjj1
05-20-2010, 07:13 PM
Come on now! You wanna get a liberty candidate elected or not? News flash! Ron wasn't as "pure" when he was trying to get elected back into the house in 97! You people need to lighten up a little. Sometimes you gotta dance in order to get elected. How many Ron Paul's are in congress again? Oh that's right 1 and it's because of this mindset!

Rand Paul should get on Dancing with the Stars with all the dance moves he's been doing politically. Im beginning to wonder if he thinks he's MC fucking Hammer.

michaelwise
05-20-2010, 07:33 PM
The left wing media is making the 1 nuanced point Rand holds as a Libertarian out to be the Clarance Thomas incident where there was his pubic hair placed on the Coke can by him. Same thing.

MN Patriot
05-20-2010, 07:36 PM
If I were Rand here is what I would reply to all the smears of racism: It is nothing more than intellectual and moral cowardice that compels people to immediately charge a person as a racist when they seek to defend our unalienable right to own property. The Civil Rights Act appropriately addressed government discrimination, but overstepped Constitutional bounds when it sought to control private property. The free market will address irrational discrimination in due time. The people who condemn me as a racist conveniently ignore that government has been the most discriminatory institution in our history. Free minds and free markets solve problems better than government.

HOLLYWOOD
05-20-2010, 07:49 PM
http://www.riehlworldview.com/carnivorous_conservative/2010/05/demint-suddenly-concerned-with-rand-pauls-positions.html
DeMint Suddenly Concerned With Rand Paul's Positions

One would think that people like DeMint, Palin and Erick at Redstate who so often claim to support people on principles and positions would take the time to fully understand same as regards the people they endorse, wouldn't one? Evidently DeMint never quite got around to it (http://politicalwire.com/archives/2010/05/20/demint_clearly_frustrated_with_paul.html). Paul isn't simply wrong here, he's being ideologically pure and purely Libertarian stupid politically. And the issues extend far beyond race.

DeMint, who endorsed Paul in the Kentucky Senate primary, flatly stated that he supports the 1964 Civil Rights Act, adding, "I'm going to talk to Rand about his positions."

1000-points-of-fright
05-20-2010, 07:53 PM
There is virtually no racism in the United States anymore. There are very few police reports or criminal charges of discrimination today.

It's true. Now it's not just the white cops beating up black kids.

michaelwise
05-20-2010, 08:02 PM
It's true. Now it's not just the white cops beating up black kids.Human nature is human nature.

Athan
05-20-2010, 08:16 PM
I only wish Debra Medina had this type of support from some of our beck loving members.

ravedown
05-20-2010, 08:47 PM
these last two days have absolutely floored me.
i have been reading blogs and watching numerous tv talk shows all day today regarding rands statements to maddow and have concluded that the general blog reader and tv talk show watcher aren't ready or even interested in the most basic/fundamental Libertarian principles and are unwilling to honestly comprehend the concepts or at the least, entertain them. the current political climate sees no room for these radical views and is only interested in marginalization. if this can happen in one relatively small state primary- imagine what will happen when RP begins his run and both parties lay in. This experience has opened my eyes...we are facing immeasurable obstacles.
example:
http://gawker.com/5543215/rachel-maddow-vs-the-senate-candidate-who-thinks-businesses-have-the-right-to-exclude-blacks

torchbearer
05-20-2010, 08:48 PM
I think it is a good thing to bring up the debates they are scared to have.
this is a serious issue. if he doesn't act ashamed of it, people might actually listen.

TER
05-20-2010, 08:58 PM
these last two days have absolutely floored me.
i have been reading blogs and watching numerous tv talk shows all day today regarding rands statements to maddow and have concluded that the general blog reader and tv talk show watcher aren't ready or even interested in the most basic/fundamental Libertarian principles and are unwilling to honestly comprehend the concepts or at the least, entertain them. the current political climate sees no room for these radical views and is only interested in marginalization. if this can happen in one relatively small state primary- imagine what will happen when RP begins his run and both parties lay in. This experience has opened my eyes...we are facing immeasurable obstacles.
example:
http://gawker.com/5543215/rachel-maddow-vs-the-senate-candidate-who-thinks-businesses-have-the-right-to-exclude-blacks

Every tree starts as a small seed. First Kentucky, then the nation.

Vessol
05-20-2010, 09:11 PM
I love how they are taking it out of context and not letting him explain himself. Rand himself isn't doing a good job by backpedaling.

AuH20
05-20-2010, 09:13 PM
I love how they are taking it out of context and not letting him explain himself. Rand himself isn't doing a good job by backpedaling.

I agree. He got singed so he may as well stay on principle. The damage has been done. Don't placate the statists but rather flesh out your nuanced opinion.

Aratus
05-21-2010, 06:52 AM
I only wish Debra Medina had this type of support from some of our beck loving members.

if RAND & Debra Medina campaign
for the hopeful candidates out
there...come fall... RANDSLIDE!!!

michaelwise
05-21-2010, 12:57 PM
Most libs don't have a high enough IQ to understand Libertarian principals.

AuH20
05-21-2010, 12:59 PM
Most libs don't have a high enough IQ to understand Libertarian principals.

That's not necessarily true. They're just obsessed with race and perceived inequalities. One track minds they have.