PDA

View Full Version : It's all about name recognition + how to do radio ads)

Matt Collins
10-12-2007, 12:24 AM
The key to getting people to vote for Ron Paul is name recognition. The more times they hear, see, or read his name, the better chance we have of turning someone into a voter for RP.

This means we need to up the amount of impressions per person. For instance, every potential voter should get at least 6 different impressions of the name "Ron Paul" across multiple media (word of mouth, tv, radio, paper etc) before they will take interest.

Now think about in the course of an average day how many times the average voter sees the name "Ron Paul"... Probably not many, IF any!

In Nashville, running 2.5 days worth of radio advertising DURING DRIVE TIME cost us around $1250. Here is what I suggest to every Meetup to get Ron's impressions increased...

Start with conservative talk radio, that's kind of our target audience. Contact your local talk stations, try to go with the larger stations. Ask them what a run-of-schedule ad will cost for a week. This means that you will buy x amount of ads and they will play these ads randomly throughout the day. Once they give you a price ask them to throw in overnights for free. For a simple branding/top-of-mind-advertising/imaging/name recognition ad, you don't want to do the most expensive time of day which is drive times. (not yet anyway).

I work in conservative talk radio, and I have a minor in marketing. This situation worked for us to drive people to the largest rally at the time, Nashville, last Saturday. If anyone gets to this point, let me know, and I will help them develop a good ad (possibly for free).

Again, the ultimate goal is to get voters to promise to vote for RP. The way to do that is to get them to learn about RP, and the best way to prompt them to investigate RP on their own is to increase RP's name recognition. Running ads this early on will indeed create a buzz.

McDermit
10-12-2007, 12:29 AM
if someone hooked us up with a quality, non-area specific ad, we'd run it. But i dont have the time or knowledge to make an ad myself.

Lord Xar
10-12-2007, 12:30 AM
uhmmm.. check out the radio ads on my site. See if they tickle you at all. I am getting two more done - 30 second ads, more 'item' specific.

but see if you like the ones on my PAC site.

www.unitedforliberty.com

click "radio and tv" top right.

there are 10,30 and 60 second ads.

Matt Collins
10-12-2007, 12:36 AM
if someone hooked us up with a quality, non-area specific ad, we'd run it. But i dont have the time or knowledge to make an ad myself.

Yes - they need to be 30 second spots.

I can probably get one created for free. Zip me a personal message if you are serious about this.

McDermit
10-12-2007, 12:46 AM
Yes - they need to be 30 second spots.

I can probably get one created for free. Zip me a personal message if you are serious about this.

I didn't realize Dean had some available. I'll give those a listen when I get home, and I'll get in touch with you if we want something different. Thank you though, we've been wanting to get ads on the air here for a while.

Lord Xar
10-12-2007, 12:49 AM
the ads I have are decent, but not definitive. I just posted what I had. I am getting two additional ones, 30 second spots.

I currently have '2' 30 second spots that I actually like. One is 'serious' and one is 'uplifting'. give it a listen, can't hurt.

jointhefightforfreedom
10-12-2007, 12:50 AM

Here is a newspaper ad you can use!
http://jointhefightforfreedom.com/node/83

Lord Xar
10-12-2007, 01:01 AM
actually, here is one of the better ones I have...

energetic
http://www.unitedforliberty.com/audio/30_second_music.mp3

total Vendetta style:
http://www.unitedforliberty.com/audio/letstalk_w_music.mp3

McDermit
10-12-2007, 01:08 AM
I really like that 30 sec one.

Matt Collins
10-12-2007, 10:14 PM
Xar - I sent you a message!

Matt Collins
11-24-2007, 08:36 PM
I really like that 30 sec one.
They've been getting some airplay

Sandra
11-25-2007, 09:40 PM
I'm having a real problem getting any info from conservative radio when they hear it's for a Ron Paul ad. One salesperson actually said it would be rough getting it to run BECAUSE it's Ron Paul. Anybody else getting flak from stations?

James R
11-25-2007, 09:54 PM
The key to getting people to vote for Ron Paul is name recognition. The more times they hear, see, or read his name, the better chance we have of turning someone into a voter for RP.

This means we need to up the amount of impressions per person. For instance, every potential voter should get at least 6 different impressions of the name "Ron Paul" across multiple media (word of mouth, tv, radio, paper etc) before they will take interest.

Now think about in the course of an average day how many times the average voter sees the name "Ron Paul"... Probably not many, IF any!

In Nashville, running 2.5 days worth of radio advertising DURING DRIVE TIME cost us around $1250. Here is what I suggest to every Meetup to get Ron's impressions increased...

Start with conservative talk radio, that's kind of our target audience. Contact your local talk stations, try to go with the larger stations. Ask them what a run-of-schedule ad will cost for a week. This means that you will buy x amount of ads and they will play these ads randomly throughout the day. Once they give you a price ask them to throw in overnights for free. For a simple branding/top-of-mind-advertising/imaging/name recognition ad, you don't want to do the most expensive time of day which is drive times. (not yet anyway).

I work in conservative talk radio, and I have a minor in marketing. This situation worked for us to drive people to the largest rally at the time, Nashville, last Saturday. If anyone gets to this point, let me know, and I will help them develop a good ad (possibly for free).

Again, the ultimate goal is to get voters to promise to vote for RP. The way to do that is to get them to learn about RP, and the best way to prompt them to investigate RP on their own is to increase RP's name recognition. Running ads this early on will indeed create a buzz.

Matt, don't forget to narrow down the market even further for maximum punch. Such as by targeting Immigrants, gun enthusiasts, arab americans, doctors, etc.

Matt Collins
11-25-2007, 10:21 PM
Matt, don't forget to narrow down the market even further for maximum punch. Such as by targeting Immigrants, gun enthusiasts, arab americans, doctors, etc.
Absolutely - Next month we will begin to have a rotator of issue ads which will target specific demographics for sure.

Matt Collins
11-25-2007, 10:22 PM
I'm having a real problem getting any info from conservative radio when they hear it's for a Ron Paul ad. One salesperson actually said it would be rough getting it to run BECAUSE it's Ron Paul. Anybody else getting flak from stations?

Stations CAN NOT turn down radio advertising because of political affiliation. To do so is against FCC rules.

Our conservative talk station runs ads for Citgo and we hate it, but we dont have a choice because the law forces us to. It's the same for campaign advertising.

If someone tells you they wont run a RP ad ask them if they are familiar with the law.

Sandra
11-25-2007, 10:59 PM
Clear Channel?

Matt Collins
11-26-2007, 12:09 PM
Clear Channel?

Tell them to put it in writing.

Matt Collins
11-29-2007, 11:50 AM
Any news on that?