PDA

View Full Version : Cold Calling in a Key State

adpierce
10-11-2007, 10:48 PM
Today I spent my evening with the Ron Paul HQ in Des Moines, IA. I was calling registered republicans to try to see if we could get a feel for how many ron paul supporters there actually are in the party. I had to confess I was somewhat dejected at the amount of "I don't know who that is" (referring to Ron Paul) and No, I don't like him. However, the worst answer of all was, "No, I don't know who he is and I don't care to either." Was this the idea of a republic the framers had in mind? People who are don't understand the value of engaging the political system ought to move to Canada. I'm a fairly stoic person, but this sort of attitude was disturbingly common and got under my relatively thick skin. I'd rather a person have reasons for why they don't like Ron Paul then for a person to not know who he is and not care to know who he is. What horrible citizens. Granted they could be simply busy, but it didn't sound like it since we were willing to send them letters in the mail which they could read at their own leisure.

However, cold calling was all in all a good thing. If you get a chance you should do it. Many "top tier" republicans are having computers dial people. This is absolute crap and the only reason why they don't have real live people to call people is because nobody is willing to take time out of their schedules to support a candidate who believes in absolutely nothing. They don't have the volunteers that we can draw from. It makes a real difference that this campaign has real live human support backing it. It's not financed by big corporate lobbies, the money coming over the web is support of that, but that's not enough! Get involved in your state, engage people, and most of all believe in the message because Dr. Paul is delivering a message of truth.

steph3n
10-11-2007, 10:50 PM
This is the truth, everyone READ IT.

Today I spent my evening with the Ron Paul HQ in Des Moines, IA. I was calling registered republicans to try to see if we could get a feel for how many ron paul supporters there actually are in the party. I had to confess I was somewhat dejected at the amount of "I don't know who that is" (referring to Ron Paul) and No, I don't like him. However, the worst answer of all was, "No, I don't know who he is and I don't care to either." Was this the idea of a republic the framers had in mind? People who are don't understand the value of engaging the political system ought to move to Canada. I'm a fairly stoic person, but this sort of attitude was disturbingly common and got under my relatively thick skin. I'd rather a person have reasons for why they don't like Ron Paul then for a person to not know who he is and not care to know who he is. What horrible citizens. Granted they could be simply busy, but it didn't sound like it since we were willing to send them letters in the mail which they could read at their own leisure.

However, cold calling was all in all a good thing. If you get a chance you should do it. Many "top tier" republicans are having computers dial people. This is absolute crap and the only reason why they don't have real live people to call people is because nobody is willing to take time out of their schedules to support a candidate who believes in absolutely nothing. They don't have the volunteers that we can draw from. It makes a real difference that this campaign has real live human support backing it. It's not financed by big corporate lobbies, the money coming over the web is support of that, but that's not enough! Get involved in your state, engage people, and most of all believe in the message because Dr. Paul is delivering a message of truth.

bbachtung
10-11-2007, 10:51 PM
Thank you for doing what you're doing. The people who aren't paying attention will not care enough to show up to the caucuses.

steph3n
as much as I'd like to believe it, no many of them will go and vote for the biggest ego.

Thank you for doing what you're doing. The people who aren't paying attention will not care enough to show up to the caucuses.

paulitics
how many people said yes out of 100? was it 4?

adpierce
10-11-2007, 11:10 PM
I in the several hours I was there didn't have a single yes. I wouldn't get too worked up about that because we have two lists... independents and republicans. The statistic that I kept hearing get thrown around was 1 in 25 calls you'd find a ron paul supporter. Of course that would be higher if you were working from the independent list. Also the state of Iowa is an increasingly elderly one, which won't/can't use the web to evaluate candidates. It's all about the msm for them unfortunately. Also, honestly there were a lot of undecided voters as well, they just don't understand that right now is the most important time in determining if a candidate has a real future in getting elected. Well I need sleep now, but get engaged in this process, because if we don't it means Dr. Paul's candidacy might be over. Money can only do so much.

paulitics
10-11-2007, 11:12 PM
I in the several hours I was there didn't have a single yes. I wouldn't get too worked up about that because we have two lists... independents and republicans. The statistic that I kept hearing get thrown around was 1 in 25 calls you'd find a ron paul supporter. Of course that would be higher if you were working from the independent list. Also the state of Iowa is an increasingly elderly one, which won't/can't use the web to evaluate candidates. It's all about the msm for them unfortunately. Also, honestly there were a lot of undecided voters as well, they just don't understand that right now is the most important time in determining if a candidate has a real future in getting elected. Well I need sleep now, but get engaged in this process, because if we don't it means Dr. Paul's candidacy might be over. Money can only do so much.

ok, so about 4% of registered republicans, and about what 8% of independents?

steph3n
10-11-2007, 11:13 PM
own words:

in the several hours I was there didn't have a single yes

transistor
10-11-2007, 11:21 PM
let's hope their apathy keeps them away from the primary

awigo50
10-11-2007, 11:23 PM
"No, I don't know who he is and I don't care to either."

Despite how disheartening this may sound... I'm not suprised. My reaction would probably have been the same around august. I'm not saying that the telephone isn't a good tool, but I tend to go with my father's philosophy: "If I don't know you, and you call me, I don't want to talk to you."

I worked at a moving company, a year back or so. I asked if they ever bothered checking the real estate listings and leaving buisness cards at the houses. To which several of my coworkers laughed. "They tried that a few years back, until they realized nobody who got the cards hired us"

Nonagressive methods are often the best. I hate people who call me. Sorry.:(

klamath
10-11-2007, 11:31 PM
Unfortunately Iowa is not our best chance. A good showing would be great but remember Iowa voted for old man Bush over Ronald Reagan

Primbs
10-12-2007, 12:12 AM
Ron Paul has an edge because his supporters will show up to a caucus in bad weather. The other candidates don't have that loyalty. But we still have a tremendous amount of work to do in Iowa. Thank god we have five million in the bank.

Badger Paul
10-12-2007, 09:10 AM
We have to build a support base in Iowa who will turnout on Caucus night Jan. 3 and reach that top three plateau.