PDA

View Full Version : Dick Armey: Ron Paul "the most successful Libertarian in history"

KramerDSP
05-19-2010, 01:31 PM
In a chat online at Washington Post, Dick Armey was asked "do you think the Tea party will become an official third party in the American political landscape?".

His response: "Great question. The Tea Party is a movement, and not a political organization. We will be a lot more effective if we take over the Republican party than if we try to create a new one.

Remember, Ron Paul is the most successful Libertarian in history, and he is
elected as a Republican."

KramerDSP
05-19-2010, 01:33 PM
Armey also says "I believe Ron is a representative of a movement in Congress, but Rand will make his impact as the next Barry Goldwater."

damiengwa
05-19-2010, 02:08 PM
Remember, Ron Paul is the most successful Libertarian in history, and he is
elected as a Republican."

I thought Thomas Jefferson was the most politically successful libertarian...wasn't he PRESIDENT.

RCA
05-19-2010, 02:26 PM
I thought Thomas Jefferson was the most politically successful libertarian...wasn't he PRESIDENT.

twice!

Stary Hickory
05-19-2010, 02:31 PM
Yeah but TJ was a Liberal....a classical liberal not the impostors that took the name..

damiengwa
05-19-2010, 02:34 PM
Yeah but TJ was a Liberal....a classical liberal not the impostors that took the name..

No he wasnt. Jefferson was a Democrat-Republican.... Liberal didn't exist back then.

Meatwasp
05-19-2010, 02:36 PM
Why do they call Ron and Rand libertarians. they have a lot of Libertarian points, but they are still republicans

Cowlesy
05-19-2010, 02:39 PM
I believe Dick Armey wrote his doctoral thesis on Austrian economics, and I often hear him defend it on CNBC.

Freedomworks identified Rand as a great candidate in the primary, and I'd be happy to have them add some engine boost to his campaign for the fall.

AGRP
05-19-2010, 02:46 PM
This is one of the most common passive agressive comments the neocons make as an effort to divide and eliminate constitutionalists:

Label them as something other as a republican. Cast them as something off the beaten path; something strange and untested. Does this mean barry goldwater was "a weird libertarian guy"? George washington? Regan loved ron paul! OMGZ Dont vote for them! SCARY!

I just dont get it. Its as if many on the right are attempting to confuse and destroy. Or maybe dick just changes his mind a lot like the rest of us.

tremendoustie
05-19-2010, 02:49 PM
Definitely not even close to the most successful libertarian in history.

In our day, however, I'd say he is.

anaconda
05-19-2010, 03:15 PM

:D

Stary Hickory
05-19-2010, 03:19 PM
No he wasnt. Jefferson was a Democrat-Republican.... Liberal didn't exist back then.

LOL ok then, Ron Paul is not a libertarian he is a Republican...Geez

cmasslibertarian
05-19-2010, 03:19 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Classical_liberal

Cowlesy
05-19-2010, 03:23 PM
Thomas Jefferson is whatever you want Thomas Jefferson to be for you.

Meatwasp
05-19-2010, 03:26 PM
This is one of the most common passive agressive comments the neocons make as an effort to divide and eliminate constitutionalists:

Label them as something other as a republican. Cast them as something off the beaten path; something strange and untested. Does this mean barry goldwater was "a weird libertarian guy"? George washington? Regan loved ron paul! OMGZ Don't vote for them! SCARY!

I just don't get it. Its as if many on the right are attempting to confuse and destroy. Or maybe dick just changes his mind a lot like the rest of us.

You hit the nail on the head. If they can push the Libertarian label on Ron and Rand they can destroy them. Most people think of Libertarians as pro choice not realizing there are two divisions. We have to counter this and keep the Republican label on them.

KramerDSP
05-19-2010, 04:07 PM
I'm just curious, but how do you think Kristol, Hannity, et al view Goldwater? You would think Armey calling Rand Paul the next Goldwater would be a positive thing.

jclay2
05-19-2010, 04:22 PM
Watch out people. These commentators and pundits are extremely short sighted. Sure we have them in our pocket now, but what happens when we go against their play book? Its easy to accept rand when he is "riding the wave of the tea party", but do you really expect the same thing to happen when Rand tries to talk about ending the empire and the welfare state? This is good that we are now getting exponentially more recognition than previously. However, it is important to remember that their opinion will change with the political winds? Remember what happened with Debra Medina, hannity marginalizing paul (Frank Luntz/Polling), Beck calling RP supporters Terrorists, and pretty much every mainstream "conservative" commentator calling RP crazy. Enjoy it while it lasts. It won't be long before we are again the target.

klamath
05-19-2010, 04:28 PM
Watch out people. These commentators and pundits are extremely short sighted. Sure we have them in our pocket now, but what happens when we go against their play book? Its easy to accept rand when he is "riding the wave of the tea party", but do you really expect the same thing to happen when Rand tries to talk about ending the empire and the welfare state? This is good that we are now getting exponentially more recognition than previously. However, it is important to remember that their opinion will change with the political winds? Remember what happened with Debra Medina, hannity marginalizing paul (Frank Luntz/Polling), Beck calling RP supporters Terrorists, and pretty much every mainstream "conservative" commentator calling RP crazy. Enjoy it while it lasts. It won't be long before we are again the target.
Dick Armey supported Rand before he won. Why must people turn and stab the person that is supporting them?? I am seeing some extremely short sightedness right here.

brandon
05-19-2010, 04:34 PM
Well Ron doesn't really have much competition in that category.

jmdrake
05-19-2010, 04:42 PM

Is starting the public school system a "libertarian" idea? Just saying....

therepublic
05-19-2010, 04:43 PM
Why do they call Ron and Rand libertarians. they have a lot of Libertarian points, but they are still republicans

Open letter from Lew Rockwell.com
For libertarians, no such letter should be necessary. Ron Paul is a libertarian and, moreover, the only presidential candidate in either the Republican or Democratic Parties who is a libertarian. http://www.lewrockwell.com/gordon/gordon31.html

Galileo Galilei
05-19-2010, 05:02 PM
Galileo and James Madison were the most successful Libertarians in history

Meatwasp
05-19-2010, 05:40 PM
Galileo and James Madison were the most successful Libertarians in history
Yes but I am not sure they advocated pro choice then.