PDA

View Full Version : AZ Cutting the Power to Los Angeles?

MelissaWV
05-19-2010, 01:17 PM
If Los Angeles wants to boycott Arizona, it had better get used to reading by candlelight.

That's the message from a member of Arizona's top government utilities agency, who threw down the gauntlet Tuesday in a letter to Los Angeles Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa by threatening to cut off the city's power supply as retribution.

Gary Pierce, a commissioner on the five-member Arizona Corporation Commission, wrote the letter in response to the Los Angeles City Council's decision last week to boycott the Grand Canyon State -- in protest of its immigration law -- by suspending official travel there and ending future contracts with state businesses.

Noting that a quarter of Los Angeles' electricity comes from Arizona power plants, Pierce threatened to pull the plug if the City Council does not reconsider.

"Doggone it -- if you're going to boycott this candy store ... then don't come in for any of it," Pierce told FoxNews.com.

related links
McCain, Kyl Call on Diplomat to Apologize for Arizona Law Comment to Chinese
In the letter, he ridiculed Villaraigosa for saying that the point of the boycott was to "send a message" by severing the "resources and ties" they share.

"I received your message; please receive mine. As a statewide elected member of the Arizona Corporation Commission overseeing Arizona's electric and water utilities, I too am keenly aware of the 'resources and ties' we share with the city of Los Angeles," Pierce wrote.

"If an economic boycott is truly what you desire, I will be happy to encourage Arizona utilities to renegotiate your power agreements so Los Angeles no longer receives any power from Arizona-based generation."

Appearing to tap into local frustration in Arizona over the raft of boycotts and threatened boycotts from cities across the country, including Los Angeles, Pierce warned that Arizona companies are willing and ready to fight boycott with boycott.

"I am confident that Arizona's utilities would be happy to take those electrons off your hands," Pierce wrote. "If, however, you find that the City Council lacks the strength of its convictions to turn off the lights in Los Angeles and boycott Arizona power, please reconsider the wisdom of attempting to harm Arizona's economy."

Pierce told FoxNews.com that he was speaking for himself, not the entire commission, though he has the support of at least one other member. But Arizona has some serious leverage over Los Angeles, as well as the rest of California. The state and city get electricity from a nuclear power plant outside Phoenix, as well as from coal-fired power plants in northern Arizona and two giant hydroelectric power generators along the Colorado River.

Despite that, the Los Angeles City Council voted overwhelmingly last week to ban future business with Arizona -- a decision that could cost Arizona millions of dollars in lost contracts.

Los Angeles officials were furious with the Arizona immigration law passed last month and joined local officials in cities across the country in pushing boycotts to register their dismay. Critics say the law will lead to racial profiling and civil rights abuses.

Arizona officials have defended the law, saying the state needed to take its illegal immigration problem into its own hands. Pierce said he's "supportive" of the state's efforts to control the border.

The law requires local law enforcement to try to verify the immigration status of anyone they have contact with whom they suspect of being an illegal immigrant. It empowers them to turn over verified illegal immigrants to federal custody. The legislation explicitly prohibits screening people based solely on race or national origin.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/05/19/arizona-official-threatens-cut-los-angeles-power-payback-boycott/

nf7mate
05-19-2010, 01:20 PM
"Doggone it -- if you're going to boycott this candy store ... then don't come in for any of it"

Love it.

dannno
05-19-2010, 01:24 PM
ooops

John Q. Revere
05-19-2010, 01:24 PM
This here story is classic. I've been sayin' to people here who want to boycott AZ "Where the hell do yall think we get our water from?"

Tool fans anyone? "Learn to swim, see you down in Arizona Bay."

nf7mate
05-19-2010, 01:26 PM
"The law requires local law enforcement to try to verify the immigration status of anyone they have contact with whom they suspect of being an illegal immigrant."

Give me a break. That makes it sound like a witch hunt is about to happen. Here is from the text of the bill:

20 B. FOR ANY LAWFUL CONTACT MADE BY A LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICIAL OR AGENCY
21 OF THIS STATE OR A COUNTY, CITY, TOWN OR OTHER POLITICAL SUBDIVISION OF THIS
22 STATE WHERE REASONABLE SUSPICION EXISTS THAT THE PERSON IS AN ALIEN WHO IS
23 UNLAWFULLY PRESENT IN THE UNITED STATES, A REASONABLE ATTEMPT SHALL BE MADE,
24 WHEN PRACTICABLE, TO DETERMINE THE IMMIGRATION STATUS OF THE PERSON. THE
25 PERSON'S IMMIGRATION STATUS SHALL BE VERIFIED WITH THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT
26 PURSUANT TO 8 UNITED STATES CODE SECTION 1373(c).

rancher89
05-19-2010, 01:27 PM
Well written letter by the Power Commisioner...

If you are going to throw down, make sure you can pay the price...

dannno
05-19-2010, 01:28 PM
This here story is classic. I've been sayin' to people here who want to boycott AZ "Where the hell do yall think we get our water from?"

Tool fans anyone? "Learn to swim, see you down in Arizona Bay."

I hate L.A. so much.

YouTube - Tool - Ænema [uncut version - hq - fullscreen] (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCEeAn6_QJo)

Some say the end is near.
Some say we'll see armageddon soon.
I certainly hope we will.
I sure could use a vacation from this

Bullshit three ring circus sideshow of
Freaks

Here in this hopeless fucking hole we call LA
The only way to fix it is to flush it all away.
Any fucking time. Any fucking day.
Learn to swim, I'll see you down in Arizona bay.

Fret for your figure and
Fret for your latte and
Fret for your hairpiece and
Fret for your lawsuit and
Fret for your prozac and
Fret for your pilot and
Fret for your contract and
Fret for your car.

It's a
Bullshit three ring circus sideshow of
Freaks

Here in this hopeless fucking hole we call LA
The only way to fix it is to flush it all away.
Any fucking time. Any fucking day.
Learn to swim, I'll see you down in Arizona bay.

Some say a comet will fall from the sky.
Followed by meteor showers and tidal waves.
Followed by faultlines that cannot sit still.
Followed by millions of dumbfounded dipshits.

Some say the end is near.
Some say we'll see armageddon soon.
I certainly hope we will cuz
I sure could use a vacation from this

Silly shit, stupid shit...

One great big festering neon distraction,
I've a suggestion to keep you all occupied.

Learn to swim.

Mom's gonna fix it all soon.
Mom's comin' round to put it back the way it ought to be.

Learn to swim.

Fuck L Ron Hubbard and
Fuck all his clones.
Fuck all those gun-toting
Hip gangster wannabes.

Learn to swim.

Fuck retro anything.
Fuck your tattoos.
Fuck all you junkies and
Fuck your short memory.

Learn to swim.

Fuck smiley glad-hands
With hidden agendas.
Fuck these dysfunctional,
Insecure actresses.

Learn to swim.

Cuz I'm praying for rain
And I'm praying for tidal waves
I wanna see the ground give way.
I wanna watch it all go down.
Mom please flush it all away.
I wanna watch it go right in and down.
I wanna watch it go right in.
Watch you flush it all away.

Time to bring it down again.
Don't just call me pessimist.
Try and read between the lines.

I can't imagine why you wouldn't
Welcome any change, my friend.

I wanna see it all come down.
suck it down.
flush it down.

MelissaWV
05-19-2010, 01:31 PM
"The law requires local law enforcement to try to verify the immigration status of anyone they have contact with whom they suspect of being an illegal immigrant."

Give me a break. That makes it sound like a witch hunt is about to happen. Here is from the text of the bill:

There are other parts to the bill, including a portion which allows for warrantless arrests of those police suspect of being illegals (without initial lawful contact/stops needed).

I would agree, though, that the characterization in the article is unfair. It doesn't "require" it; the law leaves it up to the officer in question. The sentence in the article makes it sound, to me, like the police have to ask everyone (the busboy, the person at the drive-thru, the maid at the hotel, the person mowing the lawn, the bus driver, the cashier at the grocery store, etc.) they come into contact with in everyday life to present ID. It's silly.

John Q. Revere
05-19-2010, 01:31 PM
[QUOTE=dannno;2703165]I hate L.A. so much.

That's exactly why you gotta help dig in in LA and lay down the gauntlet. LA is the source of what has spread nationwide so its gotta be where the solution is too

LA represents what we all want to change about US - so let's kick into high gear and get 'er done!

Sarge
05-19-2010, 03:16 PM
They are saving the we are cutting off your water letter until after they respond to our electron letter. Ever hear that water and electrons don't mix well?

I warned everyone and got called a Nazi. I am still pissed off on that one.

Astounding numbers ready to deep six CA based on a Fox, you guys love, survey. 104K to 4k in support of AZ and hacked at CA.

Pericles
05-19-2010, 03:47 PM
Lmao:D

WaltM
05-19-2010, 03:49 PM
http://www.smartpathtohappiness.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/hb-standoff.jpg

NoHero
05-19-2010, 04:12 PM
Fucking love Tool! And Bill Hicks, where they got the "Arizona Bay" line.

Anti Federalist
05-19-2010, 04:15 PM
Gives a whole new meaning to the term "Mexican Standoff" doesn't it?

Anti Federalist
05-19-2010, 04:20 PM
Fucking love Tool! And Bill Hicks, where they got the "Arizona Bay" line.

Off thread topic, one of my fav Tool songs:

YouTube - Tool - The Pot (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2F_hGwD26g&feature=related)

osan
05-19-2010, 04:32 PM
... (http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/05/19/arizona-official-threatens-cut-los-angeles-power-payback-boycott/)

Wow, I love that. Not only do the lamers in LA get their power from AZ, but most of their water as well. I'd cut both off and let them sweat. Actually, I'd let them die, but I'm really mean that way. :)

When the lights go out (pray pray pray), how many of the white folks do you think would be zooming out of there as if they had an F1 rocket motor up their ass? Cutting power for one day would see LA burning to the water line, I suspect.

BlackTerrel
05-19-2010, 04:43 PM
I have some issues with the bill but all these boycotts are a fucking joke. If individuals want to boycott Arizona that is 100% their right. But governments should stay out of it.

Villaragosa has enough issues to deal with in his own city - stay out of Arizona's business

Mini-Me
05-19-2010, 04:49 PM
It would be ironic if this didn't get the Commerce Clause treatment by the feds, because preventing this just might possibly be the ONLY Constitutional use of the Commerce Clause I've seen in my entire lifetime. ;)

Brian4Liberty
05-19-2010, 04:53 PM
It would be ironic if this didn't get the Commerce Clause treatment by the feds, because preventing this just might possibly be the ONLY Constitutional use of the Commerce Clause I've seen in my entire lifetime. ;)

The Commerce Clause can force someone to do business?

Brian4Liberty
05-19-2010, 04:54 PM
Many have argued that Border Control is exclusively a State's right. Perhaps Arizona will close all of it's borders.

Slutter McGee
05-19-2010, 05:02 PM

Yes, in a way. The commerce clause is meant to keep regular interstate commerce. Basically to keep states from placing tarriffs on each other. This is the closest we have ever gotten to such a thing in my life time.

I don't know if it would apply unless these boycotts became legislated. Then it very well might.

Sincerely,

Slutter McGee

Mini-Me
05-19-2010, 05:08 PM

I was under the impression we were talking about a government-run utility that was threatening to cut service across state lines? The Commerce Clause is meant to give the feds the power to prevent the states from erecting trade barriers against each other, so government-run utilities cutting service would probably fall under that (more so than any other use of the Commerce Clause I've ever heard of, at least). As Slutter said, this is the closest we've ever gotten to a state imposing tariffs against another in my lifetime, AFAIK.

legion
05-19-2010, 05:18 PM
TURN IT ALL OFF!

Those animals drain the Colorado until there isn't a drop left to drip into the Gulf of California.

Let the damn beast starve itself from its own consumption.

I want this recession to be like watching the Grapes of Wrath in reverse.

Perry
05-19-2010, 05:18 PM
ooops

This.

Brian4Liberty
05-19-2010, 05:54 PM
I was under the impression we were talking about a government-run utility that was threatening to cut service across state lines? The Commerce Clause is meant to give the feds the power to prevent the states from erecting trade barriers against each other, so government-run utilities cutting service would probably fall under that (more so than any other use of the Commerce Clause I've ever heard of, at least). As Slutter said, this is the closest we've ever gotten to a state imposing tariffs against another in my lifetime, AFAIK.

Yeah, suppose the Hoover dam is Federal, so nothing that AZ could do with that.

Mini-Me
05-19-2010, 05:59 PM
Yeah, suppose the Hoover dam is Federal, so nothing that AZ could do with that.

Well, technically, the state of Arizona could take it by eminent domain for great justice (and ironic lulz)! Still, even if they got away with that without the feds going apeshit, the Commerce Clause would still legally allow the feds to prevent them from cutting off out-of-state service by law/decree/etc. After all, it regulates what state governments are allowed to do with respect to other states, so that would apply to state-owned utilities just as much as federally-owned utilities.

Brian4Liberty
05-19-2010, 06:10 PM
Well, technically, the state of Arizona could take it by eminent domain for great justice (and ironic lulz)! Still, even if they got away with that without the feds going apeshit, the Commerce Clause would still legally allow the feds to prevent them from cutting off out-of-state service by law/decree/etc. After all, it regulates what state governments are allowed to do with respect to other states, so that would apply to state-owned utilities just as much as federally-owned utilities.

That would be ironic, because when Enron was shutting down power generation in Arizona and blackmailing California, the Feds were as silent as rats with mouths full of cheese...

Mini-Me
05-19-2010, 07:02 PM
That would be ironic, because when Enron was shutting down power generation in Arizona and blackmailing California, the Feds were as silent as rats with mouths full of cheese...

That's ironic in any case, considering the feds regularly use the Commerce Clause to regulate anyone and anything anyway; it kind of shows the special treatment corporations like Enron get.

rancher89
05-19-2010, 07:11 PM
snicker

and where are all the Enron files.....?

Razmear
05-19-2010, 07:26 PM
This amuses and I hope it continues to escalate. It's like watching two people you hate for different reasons go at each other in the parking lot at work, priceless.
Bonus is this might spur one or the other to attempt to secede and the whole republic might finally crumble back into a confederation of states. (k, i'm dreaming, but still very amused).

eb

rancher89
05-19-2010, 07:29 PM
It is entirely entertaining to those not directly affected by the gratuitious decisions by those in power...

That being said....with the gauntlet being thrown down, I'm not sure that I would have responded differently. It was not an agressive response......all things being considered....

Live_Free_Or_Die
05-19-2010, 07:45 PM
Until I am no longer surrounded by a nation of Nazi's who think ID is required for free people to live, work, or travel I find little point in further discussing the infringements upon liberty AZ law presents.

Now it is being argued a public utility funded by the people of AZ can not refuse service beyond state borders?

JK/SEA
05-19-2010, 08:24 PM
Instead of cutting Lost Angeles power and water, just charge more for any lost revenue from the boycott(s).