PDA

View Full Version : NJ Mom Recognizes Census Worker as Sex Offender

Bruno
05-19-2010, 01:17 PM
http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/local-beat/NJ-Mom-Recognizes-Census-Worker-as-Sex-Offender-94185994.htmlq

A man with a U.S. census badge knocked on Amy Schmalbach’s door on May 4. Thinking that answering the door to a government worker was a safe bet, she did. And then she wondered why he looked so familiar.

As soon as the man left her Pennsauken home, Schmalbach realized where she had seen him before: on the state’s sex-offender registry.

"I figured this is a government worker, I'm safe," Schmalbach, 33, told the Inquirer. She had given him names and birthdates of her family to the man who called himself “Jamie.”

The man’s real name is Frank J. Kuni, but goes by many aliases, including Jamie Shepard. It was under the name “Jamie Shepard” that he applied for a door-to-door job with the census bureau.

Schmalbach verified on the sex-offender registry that the man who was knocking on doors in her neighborhood was indeed the 47-year-old Kuni who has been convicted of assaulting an underage girl, and having “inappropriate contact with two other victims,” according to the registry.

Then Schmalbach called police and warned her neighbors.

"If I had not recognized who this person was, none of my neighbors would have, and I believe he would have continued to go door to door," Schmalbach told the Inquirer.

Kuni was arrested Monday on charges of false representation and impersonating a public official, according to police.

A census official told the Inquirer that a “Jamie Shepard” had been hired in late April after passing the name check, but was fired May 5, as he failed the fingerprint check.

The census hired about 600,000 people to work home visits in the last week of April, Fernando E. Armstrong, director for the Philadelphia region, told the Inquirer.

"When you are looking at 600,000 people going through this check, you can understand that it doesn't always work the way it should," Armstrong said.

dannno
05-19-2010, 01:22 PM
I thought sex offenders already had to go door to door to tell everybody that they are a pederast or whatever.

squarepusher
05-19-2010, 01:28 PM
I thought sex offenders already had to go door to door to tell everybody that they are a pederast or whatever.

booosh

FSP-Rebel
05-19-2010, 02:02 PM
Very effective background check by the feds..

Sarge
05-19-2010, 02:59 PM
They are spending more time on back ground checks on high school students where BO is going to speak for graduation. Checking the kids for citizenship, SS numbers and a back ground check. The same BO who is bad mouthing AZ. Yep, it is OK to do a check on a kid who has not done anything against the law.

What will you all say if the kid doesn't want to do it, and still wants to go to graduation?

Wait, don't tell me BO refuses to prove his citizenship, his correct SS number and he is requiring that of a high school student?

They let people break into a WH dinner with no background check. It is all a joke anymore. Sad joke.