PDA

View Full Version : Robert Taft Club in Arlington Virginia Report

Primbs
10-11-2007, 09:29 PM
Standing room only for the speech.

Ron Paul spoke for about and hour and half. There was C Span and other reporters there. Ron Paul took questions.

Ron Paul stated he would like to go on Glenn Beck.

kylejack
10-11-2007, 09:32 PM
The video feed was terrible. Video was alright, but the audio was terrible. We didn't hear hardly a word of it, so we're hoping for a better copy to show up.

frasu
10-11-2007, 09:33 PM
cool... Glenn Beck has his man now

kylejack
10-11-2007, 09:33 PM
cool... did anybody tape this?

He said CSPAN was there. We'll get tape soon.

Dave Wood
10-11-2007, 09:34 PM
Standing room only for the speech.

Ron Paul spoke for about and hour and half. There was C Span and other reporters there. Ron Paul took questions.

Ron Paul stated he would like to go on Glenn Beck.

AND????? Please update! We all knew he was going there tonight but havnt heard anything until now..........pleeeeezz. how did it go????:confused:

terlinguatx
10-11-2007, 09:34 PM

mrchubbs
10-11-2007, 09:35 PM
CSPAN is airing it tomorrow I believe.

kylejack
10-11-2007, 09:37 PM
CSPAN is airing it tomorrow I believe.

I believe that's an interview, actually. I'm assuming they booked it with him when they taped the thing tonight...which makes me wonder if the campaign has been responding to phone/e-mail media requests.

robatsu
10-11-2007, 09:50 PM
AND????? Please update! We all knew he was going there tonight but havnt heard anything until now..........pleeeeezz. how did it go????:confused:

Ok, I was there. I'm really glad I RSVP'ed directly to the Robert Taft people on 10/2, because I got to go in right away and get a real good seat, right behind Carol Paul & a Paul granddaughter. Sitting next to me was Michael Dougherty, assistant editor of American Conservative, we had a nice chat.

It was a pretty small room, paneled, very Republican looking. Eventually, they packed a couple hundred people into the room, the vast majority standing.

Very DC event, everyone in suits and ties, none of the scruffy Ron Paulians of the unofficial campaing, EXCEPT ME - the invitation said business attire and in my business (software startup) we wear red UGA sweatshirts, jeans, and 2 week growth of beard, or at least I did today.

NBC was there, and they made a beeline for me, I guess figuring if they were going to interview anyone, it had to be the guy who looked like he might be a loon. First, I engaged in some debate with a fellow named Doug Adams, who I am now finding out is the producer of NBC nightly news or something. He kept on going on about wasting votes, etc, I'm responding that we're doing a heck of alot better now than anyone ever thought, he said RP's chances were "infinitesimal", etc. Anyhow, he then apparently sent someone over to interview me, because the next thing I knew, I had a camera stuck in my face, blinding light, and some fellow asking me questions. I answered calmly and rationally, always getting back to the Constitution, sound money issues. I took some pains to try to get across that although I looked pretty scruffy, I'm actually a highly educated guy that makes a lot of money in a hot industry. Anyhow, according to the guys in suits sitting around me, I did well.

RP spoke for about an hour. He did a very good job of tying together how our unsound monetary policies fuel the warfare state - this was essentially the theme of his talk. He seemed well rested/jovial, sometimes a little rambly, but if you gotta say this stuff a million times a day, well.. Anyhow, no one could fault his performance. Plenty of applause, some nice jokes here and there, and obviously, a hugely friendly crowd.

Following this, he took some questions. I asked him one about where would tax revenues come from in a Paul administration, also pointing out that my brother who is piloting Blackhawks in Afghanistan reports that RP is "wildly popular" among the troops there (the audience loved this).

Again, a very positive event. RP seemed energized by the reception, I found myself amazed that he could do this day after day, and his granddaughter is as attractive in person as she is in the videos.

kylejack
10-11-2007, 09:53 PM
and his granddaughter is as attractive in person as she is in the videos.
Amen to that. Texas City event was niiice.

Primbs
10-11-2007, 09:59 PM
Ok, I was there. I'm really glad I RSVP'ed directly to the Robert Taft people on 10/2, because I got to go in right away and get a real good seat, right behind Carol Paul & a Paul granddaughter. Sitting next to me was Michael Dougherty, assistant editor of American Conservative, we had a nice chat.

It was a pretty small room, paneled, very Republican looking. Eventually, they packed a couple hundred people into the room, the vast majority standing.

Very DC event, everyone in suits and ties, none of the scruffy Ron Paulians of the unofficial campaing, EXCEPT ME - the invitation said business attire and in my business (software startup) we wear red UGA sweatshirts, jeans, and 2 week growth of beard, or at least I did today.

NBC was there, and they made a beeline for me, I guess figuring if they were going to interview anyone, it had to be the guy who looked like he might be a loon. First, I engaged in some debate with a fellow named Doug Adams, who I am now finding out is the producer of NBC nightly news or something. He kept on going on about wasting votes, etc, I'm responding that we're doing a heck of alot better now than anyone ever thought, he said RP's chances were "infinitesimal", etc. Anyhow, he then apparently sent someone over to interview me, because the next thing I knew, I had a camera stuck in my face, blinding light, and some fellow asking me questions. I answered calmly and rationally, always getting back to the Constitution, sound money issues. I took some pains to try to get across that although I looked pretty scruffy, I'm actually a highly educated guy that makes a lot of money in a hot industry. Anyhow, according to the guys in suits sitting around me, I did well.

RP spoke for about an hour. He did a very good job of tying together how our unsound monetary policies fuel the warfare state - this was essentially the theme of his talk. He seemed well rested/jovial, sometimes a little rambly, but if you gotta say this stuff a million times a day, well.. Anyhow, no one could fault his performance. Plenty of applause, some nice jokes here and there, and obviously, a hugely friendly crowd.

Following this, he took some questions. I asked him one about where would tax revenues come from in a Paul administration, also pointing out that my brother who is piloting Blackhawks in Afghanistan reports that RP is "wildly popular" among the troops there (the audience loved this).

Again, a very positive event. RP seemed energized by the reception, I found myself amazed that he could do this day after day, and his granddaughter is as attractive in person as she is in the videos.

Reason Magazine was there interviewing people. What part of the navy were you in? You said submarine community?

0zzy
10-11-2007, 10:01 PM

She's young isn't she? I'm single :).
hah jk<3
cant wait for the vids!

Noog
10-11-2007, 10:02 PM
I'm just bummed I couldn't get a picture. We were crammed in there like sardines. But, a lot of fun.

ACJohn
10-11-2007, 10:04 PM
Note to self, do not let this group near my daughter.

robatsu
10-11-2007, 10:04 PM
Reason Magazine was there interviewing people. What part of the navy were you in? You said submarine community?

Dang, I wish I knew Reason was there. They cited one of my LewRockwell Ron Paul articles the other day.

Anyhow, I was a submarine officer from 1984 to 1989. After all the training this entails, I was on the USS Sam Houston out of Pearl Harbor, doing the Cold War thing, going up into the Bering Sea, hanging around Petropavlovsk, Sea of Okhotsk. We were also the Pacific fleet submarine fitted out to conduct SEAL missions, very James Bondish, launching miniature submersibles, etc.

Interesting times, those were.

kylejack
10-11-2007, 10:05 PM
Note to self, do not let this group near my daughter.
Hey, freedom really works! Let her Meetup with us! ;)

OptionsTrader
10-11-2007, 10:07 PM
I asked him one about where would tax revenues come from in a Paul administration

What was his response? I think I know his answer, but I think he needs to hit this more specifically for people to understand.

Perry
10-11-2007, 10:10 PM

Thanks for that! :)

robatsu
10-11-2007, 10:11 PM
What was his response? I think I know his answer, but I think he needs to hit this more specifically for people to understand.

He said some stuff about tariffs, excise taxes, and the point about if you do away with income taxes, you just go back to 2000 spending levels. But I was sort of wondering if you do away with Fed hidden taxes, that takes you back a whole lot farther & if we are to rely on tariffs, would we have to withdraw from WTO (which would be just dandy with me).

I wish I would have asked him if a Paul administration would allow neocons to be extradited to a truly free Iraq to stand trial for war crimes, of which they are assuredly guilty.

OptionsTrader
10-11-2007, 10:15 PM
Thanks Robatsu. I like it when he hits home with number of trillions we spend on foreign aid and foreign wars, and the number of military bases in the continental US vs the rest of the world to really hit home the policy of imperialism/conquest of recent administrations and how it is bankrupting us.