PDA

View Full Version : Write your former teachers

jcbraithwaite7
06-07-2007, 11:12 AM
I was imagining where I could write and get the best ripple effect. I was on the newspaper staff in high school and remembered where I heard about free speech. Mrs. Niefer was an infuential teacher. She continues to teach about media, writing and the press. Her students are seniors and will be ready to vote... besides teachers can always use a thank you from the past! This is a letter I wrote to her.

Mrs. Niefer,

I have been thinking about you a lot lately. I remember my journalism days and some of the great things I learned at Elmwood High in my Government and Journalism classes. Regardless of political parties no one can deny that our country is in sad shape. I tuned into the debates both Democrat and Republican to be involved in the political process. I have recently been shocked and saddened by what is going on in the media today. Our political process has been hijacked. There is no freedom of the press. News Corporation is represented by Rudy Guiliani’s company. The public is being shown the candidates that the mainstream media wants us to see. The media is burying stories about candidates like Ron Paul and Dennis Kuchinich and minimizing their support. Ron Paul wins every online poll, is one of the most searched google terms, has more myspace and youtube friends and subscribers than any other candidate but that doesn’t make the news. He stands up against the war in Iraq and says we should not use a preemptive nuclear strike against Iran and the only thing CNN reports on is the fact that he flew first class! ( http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2007/06/06/which-gop-candidate-flies-first-class/ He won their online poll and they removed it along with all the positive comments about Ron Paul on the blogs.

As a former Fox News groupie I watched as the spin machine twisted Ron Paul’s fact based opinion that we need to evaluate our foreign policy into “We deserved 911” Dr. Paul beat Guiliani in the text poll after the debate and Fox buried the story. Ron Paul is left off polls that include lesser candidates who aren’t even running. Now I consider Bill O’Reilly… Bill O’Really?

A credentialed journalist was arrested for felony trespassing for asking a question of one of Guiliani’s reps in the Spin Room after the CNN debate. He wasn’t removed at the request of CNN but Guiliani’s people. http://www.jonesreport.com/articles/050607_reporter_arrested_giuliani_orders.html This bias, lack of freedom and violation of the rights you taught me about is a travesty. Please use these examples to teach your current students, future journalists and voters. You helped mold my thoughts on freedom and expression and I will never forget it. Please keep your students aware of the changing tides in the media.

JoshLowry
06-07-2007, 02:05 PM
Good stuff, thanks for the idea. :)

denvervoipguru
06-07-2007, 04:22 PM
Being part of a true grassroots campaign is incredible. The ideas that rise to the top when you have thousands of activist are incredible!

I'll write Ms. Lange, my seventh grade teacher.

Wonder if she still where's those tight-fitting slacks...oohhh man. When she would write on the chalk board her...OOPS sorry, I drifted there.

angelatc
06-07-2007, 05:15 PM
My son is going into 7th grade next year. eeeewwwww!