PDA

View Full Version : Are we sure Kentucky will lean Republican in November?

paulaholic
05-18-2010, 05:14 PM
It looks to me as if the Democratic primary has a lot bigger turnout than the Republican primary. Could this perhaps have to do with the fact that the results coming in are from the Eastern part of the state?

silverhandorder
05-18-2010, 05:16 PM
Close primaries motivate voters to get to the polls.

LibertyBrews
05-18-2010, 05:17 PM
It looks to me as if the Democratic primary has a lot bigger turnout than the Republican primary. Could this perhaps have to do with the fact that the results coming in are from the Eastern part of the state?

There are more registered Democrats than Republicans in Kentucky. It's the independents that will decide the outcome in Nov, and i'm pretty sure the majority of them will go for Paul.

tnvoter
05-18-2010, 05:38 PM
There are more registered Democrats than Republicans in Kentucky. It's the independents that will decide the outcome in Nov, and i'm pretty sure the majority of them will go for Paul.

this^^

sailingaway
05-18-2010, 05:40 PM

I was thinking the same thing, actually. The polls have all showed Rand ahead of both, though, and until really late in the attack ad campaign, Rand had hugely high favorables with independents.... that did go down the last time PPP measured it...

gls
05-18-2010, 05:44 PM
I am just glad it looks like they are nominating Conway. He is much more vulnerable than Mongiardo would have been, especially on Cap and Trade and Obamacare. Even Republicans and independents not entirely comfortable with Rand will come out for him just to oppose the Obama agenda.

klamath
05-18-2010, 06:27 PM
There is a huge amount of democrats that vote Rep in KY. McCain won the state with 57%.

TheFlashlight.org
05-18-2010, 06:29 PM
I am just glad it looks like they are nominating Conway. He is much more vulnerable than Mongiardo would have been, especially on Cap and Trade and Obamacare. Even Republicans and independents not entirely comfortable with Rand will come out for him just to oppose the Obama agenda.

Don't be so sure. I've been secretly pulling for Mongiardo, who seems weaker to me froma superficial perspective. Ladies go gaga for Jack. Rand's going to have to save some babies from burning buildings, and then nurse a puppy back to health to get the lady vote.

Edit:
Though, I'm sure the independents will all swing for Paul, and the sympathetic libertarian dems. He could win general in a landslide too, but we're going to be super serious about Jack. Even his name is harder to make fun of, dang it.

cswake
05-18-2010, 06:32 PM
The WHAS11 Political Analyst said that the Democratic Senatorial Committee will target the Kentucky race since "it will be considered to be in play". Says Paul will need money and a lot of help from the Tea Party and the Republican Party.

JRegs85
In 2010, yes. It's an entirely different story two, four, or six years ago.

georgiaboy
There is a huge amount of democrats that vote Rep in KY. McCain won the state with 57%.

lal

Agorism
05-18-2010, 06:36 PM
2:1 dems to reps right?

But it's a red stat still. kind of weird.