PDA

View Full Version : CSPAN now Libertarianism

sratiug
05-18-2010, 07:23 AM
The author of Libertarianism fom A to Z on cspan now.

Bruno
05-18-2010, 07:34 AM
Thanks! Watching now online

Talking about CA marijuana law

tsopranos
05-18-2010, 07:48 AM
This guy is killing it. Excellent answers, very persuasive for the libertarian philosophy. I've heard of his book before, "Libertarianism: From A to Z"... but have never heard him speak.

Does CSPAN archive all of their shows? This would be an excellent primer for those who don't understand the libertarian philosophy or for those who have a distorted view of what libertarianism actually is.

Bruno
05-18-2010, 07:50 AM
Liked the "crony capitalism" response to that caller as well

yatez112
05-18-2010, 07:51 AM
This guy is killing it. Excellent answers, very persuasive for the libertarian philosophy. I've heard of his book before, "Libertarianism: From A to Z"... but have never heard him speak.

Does CSPAN archive all of their shows? This would be an excellent primer for those who don't understand the libertarian philosophy or for those who have a distorted view of what libertarianism actually is.

CSPAN archives everything. :) Video library is badass.

tsopranos
05-18-2010, 08:10 AM
Did you hear the last caller's assumptions of what libertarianism has been....basically attributing slavery, and the taking of land by our founders from American Indians, as de facto libertarianism? He continued on the timeline of our nation's history, to then put the blame of the Great Depression on libertarianism.

Jeffrey Miron answered the Great Depression claim very well I thought, but they ran out of time and he didn't address the other man's claims. I think it's key that a good canned answer to the caller's claims is addressed because that's what many liberals have been led to believe.

Anyone have any thoughts on how they would address those claims in a relatively short answer? I say short, because you will lose the people's attention who believe this if you try and skirt around the issue. Then a more complete answer could be given.

Brian Defferding
05-18-2010, 09:17 AM
Did you hear the last caller's assumptions of what libertarianism has been....basically attributing slavery, and the taking of land by our founders from American Indians, as de facto libertarianism? He continued on the timeline of our nation's history, to then put the blame of the Great Depression on libertarianism.

Jeffrey Miron answered the Great Depression claim very well I thought, but they ran out of time and he didn't address the other man's claims. I think it's key that a good canned answer to the caller's claims is addressed because that's what many liberals have been led to believe.

Anyone have any thoughts on how they would address those claims in a relatively short answer? I say short, because you will lose the people's attention who believe this if you try and skirt around the issue. Then a more complete answer could be given.

That "freedom = slavery" viewpoint that is not only stupidly appalling and straight from bizarro world, but also disturbing and tragically unfortunate on how often I run into this claim in other debates.

HOLLYWOOD
05-18-2010, 09:47 AM
That "freedom = slavery" viewpoint that is not only stupidly appalling and straight from bizarro world, but also disturbing and tragically unfortunate on how often I run into this claim in other debates.

Hegelianism - their typical Antithesis to everything. Whata paradox eh?

JamesButabi
05-18-2010, 09:49 AM
I just saw this book in a small shop the other day. Never heard of the guy but I made a mental note to read it. A porcupine symbol caught my eye on the cover since that is the Free State Project mascot :)

tsopranos
05-18-2010, 09:49 AM

Hey Brian... I don't think it's so much of a claim that "Freedom = slavery", but these people sort of play this guilt by association game.

I'll post this in bullet-format, because I'm not sure how to flesh this out into a talking point yet...

Libertarians seem to uninamously point to our "Founding fathers", the Constitution, etc. as the ideal as far as the construct of government is concerned. Limited government, states rights, equal justice under the law (again, the slavery argument comes up).
How do you explicitly argue what the "founders" stood for, when you can make the case that our founders were split themselves as to what this country should look like (powers delegated to the Fed vs. state...i.e. - Hamilton).
Didn't Thomas Jefferson advocate publicly funded schooling for children?
Who do you point to as the "founding fathers"? Didn't George Mason (founder?) rail against the act of slavery amongst others (Jefferson)? (Although they kept slaves for themselves).

So I guess what I'm trying to say is...

1. You have to start by telling the listener all founding fathers did not think alike (makes their beliefs turn into more of a stereotype, puts them on the defensive)
2. You have to guide the listener towards those that you think got it right, MOST of the time (Jefferson, Adams, etc.).
3. You then begin to show that our country became great, because of freedom, because of equal justice under the law, because of our Constitution, etc.

It's a philosophical battle, tied in with such a distorted view of history by many, that it's hard to get to a good starting point.

I always go back to this letter, written by Wayne Dyer (self-help guru).
http://www.ofspirit.com/drwaynedyer1.htm

Put the person on the defensive by making them realize that it's always been the people, through true freedom of choice (both personal & economic), that have made this country the way it is... not by government force.

I feel like I'm rambling now :D
It's time for lunch

haaaylee
05-18-2010, 10:55 AM
http://www.cspan.org/Watch/Media/2010/05/18/HP/A/33029/Jeffrey+Miron+Author+Libertarianism+from+A+to+Z.as px

BuddyRey
05-18-2010, 01:28 PM
Awesome!

^ Thanks for the link!