PDA

View Full Version : Ron Paul's Legacy Lives on in His Son's Kentucky Senate Campaign

bobbyw24
05-17-2010, 10:04 AM
Tuesday's GOP Senate Primary in Kentucky Could Be Victory for Tea Party Movement
By TEDDY DAVIS

May 17, 2010

Rep. Ron Paul did not win a single Republican primary in the 2008 presidential race. But his son, ophthalmologist Rand Paul, is poised to become the GOP Senate nominee from Kentucky in what is shaping up to be the second major Tea Party victory this month.

Even though Rand Paul is running for the GOP Senate nomination against Kentucky Secretary of State Trey Grayson, the hand-picked candidate of Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Ky., Paul is leading in nearly all the public polling and is widely expected to win on Tuesday.

Paul credits the energy behind his candidacy to the Tea Party movement.

"I feel a part of the Tea Party," Rand Paul told ABCNews.com's "Top Line" last month. "I probably was at the very first Tea Party in the country in 2007. I was also there in 2008, and the first campaign event I went to in Kentucky was a Tea Party -- April 15 of last year."

2010 Elections Map: Follow the Senate, House and Governor's Races

If Paul wins, his victory would come on the heels of the Tea Party win in Utah last weekend when three-term incumbent Sen. Bob Bennett was denied a place on the GOP primary ballot.

Paul has used McConnell's support for Grayson to tag him with the establishment label that no candidate wants to be wearing this cycle.

"I think most Kentucky voters want to decide for themselves," Paul said. "They don't want someone in Washington to dictate their candidate."

Even though Rand Paul is expected to win on Tuesday, Grayson's backers say Paul would be vulnerable in a general election because he wants to repeal the Patriot Act and do away with any federal role in either gay marriage or drug laws.

The anti-Paul argument was recently articulated by former New York Mayor Rudy Giuliani, who famously clashed with Ron Paul during the 2008 presidential debates.

"Trey Grayson is the candidate in this race who will make the right decisions necessary to keep America safe and prevent more attacks on our homeland," Giuliani said. "He is not part of the 'blame America first' crowd that wants to bestow the rights of U.S. citizens on terrorists and point fingers at America for somehow causing 9/11."

Sarah Palin Backs Rand Paul for Kentucky Senate

More

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/2010_Elections/ron-pauls-legacy-lives-sons-kentucky-senate-campaign/story?id=10652230

Aratus
05-17-2010, 10:09 AM
ron paul and barry goldwater, both!
the odds of rand winning in the fall
and then being re-elected are high!
he's got 12 to 18 years in the senate
as a potentiality if not a higher or equal
office. i do expect him to be on a ticket!
obama might or might not be re-elected.

stu2002
05-17-2010, 10:30 AM
ron paul and barry goldwater, both!
the odds of rand winning in the fall
and then being re-elected are high!
he's got 12 to 18 years in the senate
as a potentiality if not a higher or equal
office. i do expect him to be on a ticket!
obama might or might not be re-elected.

Amen