PDA

View Full Version : Jim DeMint leads rightward shift of GOP candidates nationwide

bobbyw24
05-17-2010, 04:46 AM
By James Rosen | McClatchy Newspapers

WASHINGTON — When voters go to the polls Tuesday for U.S. Senate primary elections in Kentucky and Pennsylvania, they'll write a new act in the ongoing shake-up of the Republican political establishment that's being led by conservative freshman Sen. Jim DeMint of South Carolina.

In Kentucky, GOP voters will choose between Trey Grayson — the handpicked choice of the state's most powerful Republican, Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell — and DeMint-backed Rand Paul, son of former Libertarian Party presidential candidate — and current Texas congressman — Ron Paul.

In Pennsylvania, Democrats will select Rep. Joe Sestak or incumbent Sen. Arlen Specter, who bolted the Republican Party last year after DeMint became the first Republican senator to endorse Specter's opponent, former Rep. Pat Toomey, in the GOP primary.

DeMint's impact — through endorsements and money from his Senate Conservatives Fund — has also been felt in recent weeks in Florida, Indiana and Utah, and it will reverberate throughout the summer in California, Colorado and beyond.

Around the country, DeMint is backing conservative underdog challengers who are running against more moderate Republican establishment candidates such as Carly Fiorina in California and Jane Norton in Colorado.

"This has not gone over real well with my colleagues," DeMint told conservative activists who were gathered last month at a retreat in Santa Barbara, Calif.

DeMint's intrusion into McConnell's home state with his endorsement of Paul on May 5, a day after McConnell backed Grayson, raised eyebrows in Republican congressional offices on Capitol Hill.

The move sparked published and online reports that DeMint wants McConnell's job as the top Senate Republican, compelling DeMint to reject the reports out of hand.

"Anyone who wants to be a leader in the Senate doesn't rock the boat, which is clearly my style," DeMint told McClatchy on Thursday. "I want to continue doing what I'm doing. Leadership is a liability for somebody like me, who's trying to build grass-roots support around the country for conservative candidates."

Continue

http://www.mcclatchydc.com/2010/05/16/94188/demint-affects-campaigns-nationwide.html

Matt Collins
05-17-2010, 08:06 AM
DeMint is either running for minority leader (better than Mitch) or President. I hear he's pretty good, except for an imperial foreign policy.

Stary Hickory
05-17-2010, 08:13 AM
DeMint is either running for minority leader (better than Mitch) or President. I hear he's pretty good, except for an imperial foreign policy.

His foreign policy is his Achilles Heel. He is a good candidate besides this. I doubt he would be any worse than Obama or Bush on foreign policy. Of course this is not saying much at all.

Fozz
05-17-2010, 08:19 AM

Foreign policy isn't his priority, and for all we know, he could be more of a realist than a neocon. The Southern Avenger is hoping that Rand Paul can influence DeMint on foreign policy and make him less hawkish.

Aratus
05-17-2010, 09:48 AM
ex-gov sarah palin's "drill, baby, drill" was only slightly set back by the BP fiasco
and thusly jim demint is carefully watching the percentiles of the Kentucky primary

speciallyblend
05-17-2010, 12:10 PM
doesn't trust jim demint! he is a beckin! this guy should not be trusted!!