PDA

View Full Version : Sen. Feinstein: Supreme Court justice's religion shouldn't matter

bobbyw24
05-17-2010, 04:20 AM
On CBS' "Face the Nation," Feinstein was asked about a column last week in which Pat Buchanan lamented that "if Kagan is confirmed, Jews, who represent less than 2 percent of the U.S. population, will have 33 percent of the Supreme Court seats."

Religion of the nominee, Feinstein said, should not matter. "I really do not believe it makes that kind of a difference," she said.

Buchanan accused Democrats of being against diversity by not putting a Protestant on the court, "though Protestants remain half the nation and our founding faith."

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/98069-feinstein-supreme-court-nominees-religion-shouldnt-matter

Mini-Me
05-17-2010, 04:22 AM
Agreed; the legitimate beef with Kagan is that she doesn't seem to believe in a single Constitutional limit on government power.

Live_Free_Or_Die
05-17-2010, 04:42 AM
I support holding Supreme Court nominees to the same standards the court has legislated from the bench

2003 - The Supreme Court handed down its decisions in Grutter v. Bollinger, 539 U.S.(2003) and Gratz v. Bollinger, 539 U.S. (2003). In Grutter, the Court held that the University of Michigan’s use of race among other factors in its law school admissions program was constitutional because the program furthered a compelling interest in obtaining “an educational benefit that flows from student body diversity”. The Court also found that the law school’s program was narrowly tailored; it was flexible, and provided for a “holistic” review of each applicant. In Gratz, the Court rejected the undergraduate admissions program at the College of Literature, Science and the Arts, which granted points based on race and ethnicity and did not provide for a review of each applicant’s entire file.

Congress ought to consider a "holistic" review of each nominee and a diverse SCOTUS. :cool:

stu2002
05-17-2010, 05:39 AM
I wonder what Feinstein would be saying if there was gonna be NO Jews on the Court?? Would she feel the same way?

Southron
05-17-2010, 06:00 AM
Perhaps religion shouldn't matter where you expect strict interpretation of the law.

But the reality is that it does matter when it comes to activist judges.

literatim
05-17-2010, 06:07 AM
The fact that there are no Protestant judges makes me think that religion does matter. Meaning, you must be a Catholic or a Jew to get nominated as a Supreme Court justice.

bobbyw24
05-17-2010, 06:09 AM
The fact that there are no Protestant judges makes me think that religion does matter. Meaning, you must be a Catholic or a Jew to get nominated as a Supreme Court justice.

That was Pat Buchanan's Point

Are Liberals Anti-WASP?

By Patrick J. Buchanan

“A chorus of black commentators and civic leaders has begun expressing frustration over (Elena) Kagan’s hiring record as Harvard dean. From 2003 to 2009, 29 faculty members were hired: 28 were white and one was Asian American.”

CNN pundit Roland Martin slammed “Kagan’s record on diversity as one that a ‘white Republican U.S. president’ would be criticized for.”

This is an excerpt from the Washington Post about the rising anger in a black community, which voted 24-1 for Obama, that one of their own was once again passed over for the Supreme Court.

Not since Thurgood Marshall, 43 years ago, has a Democratic president chosen an African-American. The lone sitting black justice is Clarence Thomas, nominated by George H. W. Bush. And Thomas was made to run a gauntlet by Senate liberals.

Indeed, of the last seven justices nominated by Democrats JFK, LBJ, Bill Clinton and Barack Obama, one was black, Marshall; one was Puerto Rican, Sonia Sotomayor. The other five were Jews: Arthur Goldberg, Abe Fortas, Ruth Bader Ginsberg, Stephen Breyer and Elena Kagan.

If Kagan is confirmed, Jews, who represent less than 2 percent of the U.S. population, will have 33 percent of the Supreme Court seats.

Is this the Democrats’ idea of diversity?

But while leaders in the black community may be upset, the folks who look more like the real targets of liberal bias are white Protestants and Catholics, who still constitute well over half of the U.S. population.

Not in living memory has a Democratic president nominated an Irish, Italian or Polish Catholic, though these ethnic communities once gave the party its greatest victories in the cities and states of the North.

What happened to the party of the Daleys, Rizzos and Rostenkowskis?

And not in nearly half a century has a Democratic president nominated a white Protestant or white Catholic man or woman.

The last was Byron “Whizzer” White, the all-American running back from the University of Colorado, nominated by his friend Jack Kennedy. White cast one of the only two votes against Roe v Wade.

What of the record of Republican presidents?

http://buchanan.org/blog/are-liberals-anti-wasp-4062

JosephTheLibertarian
05-17-2010, 06:12 AM
On CBS' "Face the Nation," Feinstein was asked about a column last week in which Pat Buchanan lamented that "if Kagan is confirmed, Jews, who represent less than 2 percent of the U.S. population, will have 33 percent of the Supreme Court seats."

Religion of the nominee, Feinstein said, should not matter. "I really do not believe it makes that kind of a difference," she said.

Buchanan accused Democrats of being against diversity by not putting a Protestant on the court, "though Protestants remain half the nation and our founding faith."

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/98069-feinstein-supreme-court-nominees-religion-shouldnt-matter

I agree with her in that I believe religion is bs, but I know she's a sith, so her motives are always evil in nature. Kagan is a bad choice, but what do you expect from an evil scumsucker like Feinstein?

Inflation
05-17-2010, 07:43 PM
I wonder what Feinstein would be saying if there was gonna be NO Jews on the Court?? Would she feel the same way?

I'm sure DiFi was have no problem with ending the shocking, jaw-dropping hyper-representation of Jews on the USSC.

As long as they were replaced with another WASP hating Communist.

And were from a good oligarch family with the kilos of gold needed to send their kids to Harvard or Yale for undergrad and law degrees.

HOLLYWOOD
05-17-2010, 07:50 PM
I agree with her in that I believe religion is bs, but I know she's a sith, so her motives are always evil in nature. Kagan is a bad choice, but what do you expect from an evil scumsucker like Feinstein?

From Dianne Feinstein these words come... I wonder why?

If you do a background check on Dianne Feinstein you will see that she donates to the campaigns of only one religous group. Now I see why she made that comment.

Kagan in my book isn't even qualified, experience or has enough evidence (writtings, etc) to prove qualification. Get a Constitutional WASP on there and balance the judicial Altar.

Brian4Liberty
05-17-2010, 07:57 PM
The media made a concerted effort to make this about Kagan being from New York, Jewish, and a lesbian. All of these can be easily pushed aside, and will distract from the real issues: unlimited government.

Agreed; the legitimate beef with Kagan is that she doesn't seem to believe in a single Constitutional limit on government power.

That's the fact.