PDA

View Full Version : History Channel's "America: The Story of US

TheBlackPeterSchiff
05-16-2010, 05:49 PM
Watching it now...

good stuff!!;)

http://www.history.com/shows/america-the-story-of-us

YouTube - America the Story of Us: Trailer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wk1nrgm55gQ&feature=fvsr)

rancher89
05-16-2010, 05:50 PM
I've watched the first and second episode, IMHO the series looks very promising.

Fredom101
05-16-2010, 06:36 PM
Watching it now...

good stuff!!;)

http://www.history.com/shows/america-the-story-of-us

YouTube - America the Story of Us: Trailer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wk1nrgm55gQ&feature=fvsr)

Really? Wow I thought it would be a propaganda piece on how great government is. :confused:

RforRevolution
05-16-2010, 06:43 PM
Sorry, I thought it was horrible. Of course, I saw only one episode and it was on the Civil War. Basically, it was the typical glorification of Lincoln instead of questioning whether a man who was responsible for the death of 600,000 men is worthy of such deification.

RforRevolution
05-16-2010, 06:44 PM
Really? Wow I thought it would be a propaganda piece on how great government is. :confused:

Your thoughts are correct.

Fozz
05-16-2010, 07:05 PM
I saw most of the first episode but I'd rather keep the politicians out of it.

I suspect this series has a pro-government perspective, and I notice that they suggest the Founders wanted democracy :rolleyes:

I can only imagine how much they will glorify Woodrow Wilson and FDR.

I think the John Adams miniseries is far more inspiring than this.

FreeTraveler
05-16-2010, 07:06 PM
This is government indoctrination school textbook stuff, but it's nicely produced.

Makes me want to barf in technicolor, at least. :D

I'm actually enjoying it, except for the parts where I scream and throw stuff at the screen.

ETA: Yeah, the John Adam miniseries was very good. I'm looking for one from the perspective of Jefferson, though. Anybody? Bueller?

moonshineplease
05-16-2010, 07:52 PM
Saw the first episode. It might be more enjoyable had they left out the in between commentary with all the politicians including: Obama, Rudy Giulaini etc...

Cowlesy
05-16-2010, 07:59 PM
The episode tonight is all about the cities. It's like there were no rural areas in America in the late part of the 19th century/early 20th century.

I think the scholars who write the Politically Incorrect guides would eyeroll at this.

PatriotOne
05-16-2010, 08:28 PM
I turned the channel as soon as I saw it was sponsered by Bank of America :rolleyes:.

NoHero
05-17-2010, 12:14 AM
I enjoy the production and quality of this show, but have problems with the history. First, the Civil War was glossed over and made all about slavery. It even says the Southern soldiers believe their cause "righteour," implying the poor farm boys were for slavery and not anti-tariff, pro states' rights, or just fighting for their homeland, which was mostly the case. And I do sympathize with Brown's Raid (which they discussed) and the plight of abolitionists like Thoreau, who were against the war and for seceding from the south to get away from slavery (which they didn't).

I had a problem with them glorifying Edison to and making it seem "his" light bulb revolutionized America. Several incandescent bulbs were around before Edison patented his. He was a scamster. Just like the movie camera was invented by a French guy before Edison patented it and that guy died. He also stole a bunch of Tesla's ideas. They also gloss over how scandelous the railroad and oil companies were.

TheBlackPeterSchiff
05-17-2010, 09:03 AM
Sorry, I thought it was horrible. Of course, I saw only one episode and it was on the Civil War. Basically, it was the typical glorification of Lincoln instead of questioning whether a man who was responsible for the death of 600,000 men is worthy of such deification.

I didnt catch the Civil War part.

But of course it's going to be told through the prism of how great the Federal govt is, but I thought it was still interesting.

angelatc
05-17-2010, 09:07 AM
I gave up on it fairly quickly.

Daamien
05-17-2010, 09:07 AM
I'm glad you enjoyed the propaganda.

rancher89
05-17-2010, 09:25 AM
Well, I haven't seen any of the episodes after no. 2, so....

and yes, it is a text book sanitized government approved "vision" of the past.

I actually learned something from the second show....
I wasn't home schooled, so forgive me for not knowing this before now...

The settlers had to deal with millions of squirrels raiding their crops. It was so bad, their was a bounty on the pelt of a squirrel. Marksmanship practice on squirrels really paid off: protected crops, meat on the table and bounty on the skin PLUS possibly recovering the lead for future shots....

No wonder the British lost! (and yes, I know it was more than marksmanship...)

Travlyr
05-17-2010, 09:26 AM
Courtesy of early international bankers... Meyer Amschel Bauer

From Wikipedia: "During the American Revolution, Great Britain hired mercenaries from Hesse, commonly known as Hessians, to fight the rebels in America. In fact, thousands of Hessians fought in the American Revolution and other conflicts as soldiers of fortune (though usually conscripted, the pay going to their Lord) on both sides."

If not. Why not?

TinCanToNA
05-17-2010, 09:57 AM
This is government indoctrination school textbook stuff, but it's nicely produced.

Makes me want to barf in technicolor, at least. :D

I'm actually enjoying it, except for the parts where I scream and throw stuff at the screen.

ETA: Yeah, the John Adam miniseries was very good. I'm looking for one from the perspective of Jefferson, though. Anybody? Bueller?

I agree completely. I especially like how Lincoln ended slavery (single-handedly and everywhere!). :rolleyes:

Very well produced though...

extrmmxer
05-17-2010, 09:59 AM
Saw the first episode. It might be more enjoyable had they left out the in between commentary with all the politicians including: Obama, Rudy Giulaini etc...

I usually love shows like this but when I saw cameos from Giulaini and other MSM talking heads I refused to watch it.

tjeffersonsghost
05-17-2010, 10:02 AM
It's not a bad show at all. Ive seen all the episodes and have enjoyed them all. You're never going to find any show or person who will agree with your perspective on everything when it comes to history. Just like truth, history is seen through the eyes of the beholder.

I agree though about having people like Guliani and company on there. Keep it to historians and not politicians.

klamath
05-17-2010, 10:11 AM
The only way you can find the truth about history it to read and view stuff from all opinions and sides. I have Never read a book or watched a history show that was not biased.

The only way you can find the truth in history is by triangulation of all the different opinions.