PDA

View Full Version : McConnell & the Kentucky GOP will unite for Tuesday's winner in the general election

bobbyw24
05-16-2010, 02:18 PM
In Kentucky, Republicans are fighting it out in a race that splits Tea Party activists against establishment GOP.

Kentucky Secretary of State Trey Grayson is backed by Washington Republicans like McConnell and former Vice President Dick Cheney. Rand Paul, the son of Republican Rep. Ron Paul, has the support of 2008 GOP vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin, retiring Sen. Jim Bunning and evangelical leader James Dobson.

At a dinner Saturday night, Paul, an eye surgeon, cast the contest in the most serious terms.

"I think that the times we live in are troubling," he said. "I think we face a day of reckoning."

Paul leads by double digits in most polls. The eventual Republican Senate nominee in Kentucky will likely face a well-funded Democrat in the general election. Lt. Gov. Daniel Mongiardo and Attorney General Jack Conway are the front-runners in a close race for the Democratic nomination.

Kentucky is solidly Democratic by voter registration, but tends to vote Republican in federal races. McConnell said Sunday, whoever wins the GOP primary, the party will unite for the general election.

"I think Trey Grayson would be a stronger candidate in November. But I expect Kentucky is going to be in a pretty Republican mood this fall. I'm optimistic that whoever wins the primary will be the next senator from Kentucky," he said.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/05/16/tough-senate-primary-races-pit-washington/

Agorism
05-16-2010, 02:25 PM
Will Grayson be there or he switching back to Democrat? Charlie Crist like

eduardo89
05-16-2010, 03:02 PM

Can he still run as an Independent?

sailingaway
05-16-2010, 03:03 PM

He said he'd be there. He'll be there.

Just as Rand would have been had things been reversed.

ljwestmcsd
05-16-2010, 03:05 PM
Can he still run as an Independent?

No, he would have to have changed his registration by last Dec. 31st.
He could change for his run for Governor next year, if he runs.

My prediction: Grayson will try to get on as Lt. Governor for Richie Farmer. As I see it, it's the only way he will ever win another election.

sailingaway
05-16-2010, 03:06 PM
No, he would have to have changed his registration by last Dec. 31st.
He could change for his run for Governor next year, if he runs.

My prediction: Grayson will try to get on as Lt. Governor for Richie Farmer. As I see it, it's the only way he will ever win another election.

He can't be secretary of state again? People seem to like him as secretary of state.

ljwestmcsd
05-16-2010, 03:09 PM
He can't be secretary of state again? People seem to like him as secretary of state.

Kentucky has term limits for state positions -- Trey is already in his second (and last) term as SofS. He could run for State Treasurer or some other position next year, but unless no one else runs, he won't win.

sailingaway
05-16-2010, 03:25 PM
Kentucky has term limits for state positions -- Trey is already in his second (and last) term as SofS. He could run for State Treasurer or some other position next year, but unless no one else runs, he won't win.

Ouch.

On the other hand, if that is so he will DEFINITELY be at the unity dinner -- restoring ties and mending bridges.

specsaregood
05-16-2010, 05:12 PM
On the other hand, if that is so he will DEFINITELY be at the unity dinner -- restoring ties and mending bridges.

I hope Rand brings along a food taster to this dinner. I kid, sorta.

TheFlashlight.org
05-16-2010, 06:12 PM
I am looking forward to Rand being the definition of a magnanimous warrior at this event. I expect he can afford to be a little self-deprecating and honor his former foe as a good dad, etc. Grayson's gotta lose BIG in front of his daughters and I really feel for that, assuming Rand clobbers him like we expect. This could go very far in bringing the party together, so that the Dem is absolutely steamrolled in November. Should be some touching, funny moments.

sailingaway
05-16-2010, 06:47 PM
I am looking forward to Rand being the definition of a magnanimous warrior at this event. I expect he can afford to be a little self-deprecating and honor his former foe as a good dad, etc. Grayson's gotta lose BIG in front of his daughters and I really feel for that, assuming Rand clobbers him like we expect. This could go very far in bringing the party together, so that the Dem is absolutely steamrolled in November. Should be some touching, funny moments.

Well, sure. We don't want hard feelings we can avoid in our own party, moving towards November.

itshappening
05-16-2010, 07:12 PM
I'm sorry but the way Trey has run his campaign Rand owes him nothing and he should finish him off for good in his victory speech

sailingaway
05-16-2010, 07:31 PM
I'm sorry but the way Trey has run his campaign Rand owes him nothing and he should finish him off for good in his victory speech

What about his supporters who might otherwise rally around Rand? The party is for Rand's benefit.

low preference guy
05-16-2010, 07:37 PM

No need to "finish him off" and piss his supporters. He is already finished. Did you see treyspends.com? That'll prevent him from running for office ever again.

boat6868
05-16-2010, 07:59 PM
No need to "finish him off" and piss his supporters. He is already finished. Did you see treyspends.com? That'll prevent him from running for office ever again.

I understand "ithappening"'s sentiment and on a base level I would like to see it myself...but I think "low perference guy" has the better strategy...use Trey and his supporters to the extent possible and put the screws to him behind the scenes in future elections.

TheFlashlight.org
05-16-2010, 08:17 PM
"Friends"
YouTube - Mr Show - McHutchence vs Greeley III (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCfMgqnq2uo)

Agorism
05-16-2010, 08:22 PM
Paul will have to play the good winner strategy and try to reach out to the other side. Of course one certain blogger is hopeless, but hopefully we can unify most of the party.

anaconda
05-16-2010, 09:29 PM
Is it possible that the GOP would rather have a blue dog dem in the senate instead of Rand? Maybe they will try to sabotage him in the general election.

rprprs
05-16-2010, 09:55 PM
Is it possible that the GOP would rather have a blue dog dem in the senate instead of Rand? Maybe they will try to sabotage him in the general election.

Your point is well taken. They may very well have that preference. But whether they dare act on that is another matter. Surely they must see which way the wind is blowing.

Matt Collins
05-16-2010, 10:15 PM
I wonder how many Grayson supporters will show up. Probably all 5 of them. Mitch will be there, eh?

I am willing to bet you can hear a pin drop in that room.

Thargok
05-16-2010, 10:17 PM
Your point is well taken. They may very well have that preference. But whether they dare act on that is another matter. Surely they must see which way the wind is blowing.

There isn't a blue dog really running other than Buckmaster and he will poll all of 8%

Fozz
05-16-2010, 10:22 PM

Getting a Democrat elected in that seat would be a huge blow to McConnell on a national level.

Fozz
05-16-2010, 10:23 PM
There isn't a blue dog really running other than Buckmaster and he will poll all of 8%

Mongiardo is pretty close to the center. The DailyKos thugs despise him and call him a DINO.

Thargok
05-16-2010, 10:29 PM
Mongiardo is pretty close to the center. The DailyKos thugs despise him and call him a DINO.

Mongiardo is running pretty close to center due to the national climate, but is certainly not that close to the center, he isn't a foaming at the mouth progressive liberal so they hate him.

Fozz
05-16-2010, 10:36 PM
Mongiardo is running pretty close to center due to the national climate, but is certainly not that close to the center, he isn't a foaming at the mouth progressive liberal so they hate him.

I guess you are more familiar with Mongiardo, but based on what I read on DailyKos and from Conway's ads, one would think that Mongiardo is a conservative.

Matt Collins
05-17-2010, 08:26 AM
http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x93/sonicspikesalbum/Rand%20Paul%202010%20Logos/MitchMcConnell-randpaulforsenate.jpg

bobbyw24
05-17-2010, 08:38 AM
http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x93/sonicspikesalbum/Rand%20Paul%202010%20Logos/MitchMcConnell-randpaulforsenate.jpg

Excellent Shot

bobbyw24
05-18-2010, 08:41 PM
I wanna see Mitch and Trey with Rand Paul pins on their lapels

boat6868
05-18-2010, 09:48 PM
i wanna see mitch and trey with rand paul pins on their lapels

lol