PDA

View Full Version : Congress: Cap ATM fees at 50 cents

TheBlackPeterSchiff
05-15-2010, 12:51 PM
Congress: Cap ATM fees at 50 cents
By David Ellis, staff writerMay 15, 2010: 8:31 AM ET

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- As Congress debates the new rules of the road for the U.S. banking industry, some lawmakers have an ambitious proposal: They want to cut ATM fees.

Last week, a trio of Democratic senators led by Iowa's Tom Harkin proposed capping automated teller machine fees at just 50 cents

The number of cash-dispensing machines located across the country has nearly doubled in a matter of a decade.

Currently, banks and other ATM operators are free to charge consumers whatever they want for using their machine. And backers of the amendment maintain that those who tend feel the brunt of those fees are lower- and middle-income Americans, precisely those who can't afford it.

Indeed, ATM fees aren't cheap these days. Last year, consumers were assessed $3.54, on average, every time they used an ATM that isn't controlled by their own bank, according to Bankrate.com.

Despite this, experts suggest that the Harkin proposal is a long shot. With so many amendments vying for the attention of lawmakers to make the final draft of the financial regulatory reform bill, chances are this one will get left on the cutting room floor.

But suppose it did pass - would lower ATM fees really deliver a much-needed break for cash-strapped American consumers?

Not necessarily.

In fact, some experts suggest that capping fees might result in more harm than good for consumers.

One likely consequence would be a reduction in the number of ATMs. At the end of last year, there were roughly 425,000 cash-dispensing machines across the country, according to industry figures. About half of them were controlled by independent operators like Cardtronics (CATM) and Louisville, Ky.-based firm Payment Alliance.

Experts said these companies would be devastated by a fee cap since they earn nearly all of their revenue from charging customers that visit their machines.

Independent operators, as a result, might choose to operate only in locations that generated a lot of foot traffic, where a greater volume of transactions would offset the decline in fees. Some community lenders and credit unions might also rethink whether it's worth having so many ATMs for their customers.

Consumers, of course, might argue that a decline in the number of ATMs wouldn't necessarily be a terrible thing, given the glut of cash-dispensing machines.

But some experts fear the contraction would be far more severe than people expect.

"You could get an ATM wasteland," said Nicole Sturgill, research director in delivery channels for consulting firm TowerGroup.
How high is too high?

Still, wouldn't some consumers be willing to tolerate fewer ATMs as a side effect of lower fees? One of the reasons consumers are angry about high ATM charges is because they are paying extra simply to access their own checking or savings accounts.
0:00 /2:05The dangers of debt consolidation

Industry groups are quick to point out that the fees are necessary and help to cover a wide variety of costs involved with setting up and running an ATM.

According to industry figures, it costs between $9,000 to $50,000 to purchase an ATM. Banks and other operators then have to pay an additional $12,000 to $15,000 annually to keep the machine running.

What consumer advocates have taken issue with however, is that some banks and ATM operators charge far beyond the simple processing fee.

The Harkin amendment estimates that it only costs banks somewhere in the neighborhood of 36 cents to carry out an ATM transaction - far less than what consumers typically pay.

"Banks shouldn't be able to turn accessing your own money into a profit center," said Jean Ann Fox, director of financial services for the Consumer Federation of America.

Experts suggest that number is a little bit low, but not that far off.

What does trouble them however are some of the other unintended consequences from capping ATM fees, including stifling innovation.

Operators may no longer see the value, for example, in offering the latest technology such as allowing consumers to email receipts.

Even more worrisome is the possibility that banks could decide to impose a fee on all of their ATM users in order to compensate for the costs of running their ATMs, notes TowerGroup's Sturgill.

"When you use another bank's ATM you are helping defray the costs for everyone using that ATM," she said. "I think that is a piece that gets lost in there."

Talkback: Would you be willing to travel further to get to an ATM in exchange for lower fees? Leave your comments below or click here to e-mail the reporter of this story. To top of page

http://money.cnn.com/2010/05/14/news/companies/atm_fees/index.htm?hpt=T1

I hate paying that ATM fee as much as anyone, but this is just f'ing ridiculous. They are providing a service, giving you access to your money without going to your actually bank which houses your deposit.

One of the other unintended consequences this article does not point out, is the ATM Service Providers that would get put out of job because of the cut back in revenue and ATM's to service. People service those 425k ATM's, how would they suffer from this?

And of course, WHERE DOES THE GOVERNMENT GET THE RIGHT TO TELL A PRIVATE COMPANY HOW MUCH TO CHARGE FOR A SERVICE?!??!???!?

Jordan
05-15-2010, 12:54 PM
This is why I love my credit union.

I've get free witdrawals at their own ATMs as well as tens of others throughout the city that are owned by other credit unions.

Also, when I'm out of town, Discover's credit card allows me to get up to $80 cash back from one purchase. That's a major plus, considering I can just pop into a grocery store, buy a coke and get cash back for free.

People bitching about ATM fees should be smarter when they shop for a bank.

TheBlackPeterSchiff
05-15-2010, 01:02 PM
This is why I love my credit union.

I've get free witdrawals at their own ATMs as well as tens of others throughout the city that are owned by other credit unions.

Also, when I'm out of town, Discover's credit card allows me to get up to $80 cash back from one purchase. That's a major plus, considering I can just pop into a grocery store, buy a coke and get cash back for free.

People bitching about ATM fees should be smarter when they shop for a bank.

Not just that, they can also just get their money out of the bank, or go to their banking ATM. It makes no sense what Congress is trying to do.

People, that usually get hit with the fee are using an ATM thats not with their banking institution...the reason they are usually using that particular ATM is because of convenience...say, they need the money now, or the closest free ATM is a few miles away and they dont feel like driving.

But if they pass this law, this will cut down on the number of ATM's anyway so the convenience will be gone and they can just go to their ATM. On top of that, banks just might decide to charge the 50 cent fee far all atm transactions even if you bank with the institution...to spread out the cost burden. I swear, we have the dumbest fuckers in Congress it makes my head explode.

RSLudlum
05-15-2010, 01:15 PM
The banks will just raise their overall fees to all their customers which will negatively impact families like mine that take a specific amount of money out of the bank every week for spending. I have an ATM card but very rarely carry it around and in doing so limits any urges I might have to spend money on a whim.

Reason
05-15-2010, 01:24 PM
People still use ATM machines?

Jordan
05-15-2010, 01:30 PM

Drug dealers don't take debit cards. :p

Brooklyn Red Leg
05-15-2010, 02:28 PM

When I still had a bank account, you HAD to use the ATM. You got charged a fee if you came in more than a few times a month.

RonPaulwillWin
05-15-2010, 02:57 PM
Drug dealers don't take debit cards. :p

The only time I ever take money out of the atm is to buy weed.

TheBlackPeterSchiff
05-15-2010, 05:18 PM
I like using cash because I dont like my purchases being tracked.

MsDoodahs
05-15-2010, 05:35 PM
wage and price controls making a comeback....

bobbyw24
05-15-2010, 05:38 PM
They are providing a service, giving you access to your money without going to your actually bank which houses your deposit.

Ha ha. NO bank "houses your deposit." They lend it out 10 fold soon after you deposit it.

Athan
05-15-2010, 05:40 PM
I can't exactly shed a tear for banks here.

angelatc
05-15-2010, 05:46 PM
So they'll just start charging everybody $10 per month for the privilege of having the card, punishing those of us who are smart enough not to pay the fees.

Seriously, I wish Congress would worry more about the money they've already taken from me. I mean, I didn't have a choice about that. I do have a choice about where I bank.

TheBlackPeterSchiff
05-15-2010, 05:48 PM
Ha ha. NO bank "houses your deposit." They lend it out 10 fold soon after you deposit it.

I understand that, but as I said, the owner of the ATM machine, provides you with a service...access to your money.

muzzled dogg
05-15-2010, 06:02 PM
congress needa cap wut the fuck IT do

james1906
05-15-2010, 07:29 PM
Window dressing. Makes the people think that Congress is coming down on the banks. The banks will raise a fake stink to make it seem like this law will effect them, but it won't. The banks will still have those in power paid off.

These independent ATM companies will be effected, but that just means they'll shut down and more people are forced to go to the banks instead.

freshjiva
05-15-2010, 07:38 PM

+1.

With the way our government is going, pretty soon they'll be placing caps on every product/service available on the planet.

These people need to be voted out ASAP.

Anti Federalist
05-16-2010, 12:02 AM

Terrorist.

This is why we must pass the Cash Elimination and Debt Increase act of 2012 right away.

One more bar in the planetary prison grid....

Stary Hickory
05-16-2010, 12:24 AM
I can't exactly shed a tear for banks here.

Ah so you think this will hurt the banks? Well maybe the banks and private companies won't conveniently place those ATMs for you or service them. It's kinda of silly that you cannot see how stupid this is because of your hatred for corrupt bankers. This is one of those laws that does nothing but hurt things.

Price fixing causes shortages. In this case it will be a lack of ATMs.