PDA

View Full Version : My Argument For Drug Legalization in One Page or Less

rmcc4444
05-15-2010, 07:50 AM
When I suggest to someone that all drugs should be legalized, 90% of the time I am told how evil drugs are and how they lead to more crime and legalizing them would instantly turn the country into a violent hell hole. Anyone with an open mind can be shown how this is absolute nonsense. The fact that drugs are illegal doesn’t mean they will magically disappear. All it does is transfer the sale of drugs from a voluntary free market to a violent underground black market and then enforces these laws through the violent force of government. Legalizing drugs does not mean those who use drugs would not commit acts of violence, however, those who have a tendency to commit violence aren’t really concerned with drug laws in the first place.

Most people seem to confuse the advocacy of legalizing drugs with also advocating its use. I don’t advocate drug use, including alcohol and nicotine, which are somehow magically legal in this logically flawed society we live in. I also don’t know a single person who would start doing cocaine if it were legalized tomorrow or a single person who would stop using drugs if the laws were made twice as harsh tomorrow.

Those who morally object to drug legalization will generally ignore facts, logic and consistency and stick to their moral reasoning as to why drugs should remain illegal. How a person can make a moral argument against the legalization of drugs because they fear drugs will lead to violence while at the same time advocating government violence as a means to keep drugs illegal is irrational and by definition, insane. Am I the only one that see’s these things? I often feel like I’m living in some other dimension when I try to have these conversations with people.

You can’t support legislating individual choice and morality because you fear not doing so would lead to violence and also support a system that enforces these “laws” by ALSO USING VIOLENCE! Initiating violence against someone is either a good thing or a bad thing. You can’t have it both ways and expect to be considered a rational thinking person.

If you just can’t seem to grasp what I’m getting at, try walking down the street smoking crack and see if the police don’t threaten you with violence if you don’t drop the drugs or violently throw you in a cage.

Again, my argument isn’t that drugs are good. The argument is that violence is bad and people should be left alone to do as they wish until they violate someone elses life, liberty or property.

If we can’t come up with non-violent solutions to the social issues we face, we will remain fundamentally stuck as human beings. It’s time for everyone to grow up, think rationally and only support solutions to social issues that aren’t enforced at the barrel of a gun. This is not what freedom is supposed to look like.

By Jericho McCain @ reboottherepublic.com (http://www.reboottherepublic.com/blog/liberty/my-argument-for-drug-legalization-in-one-page-or-less/)

noxagol
05-15-2010, 09:30 AM
With prohibition of alcohol, it was still consumed and the first mobs came about because of it. When it was repealed, people still consumed alcohol, but the crime associated with it magically vanished. Therefore, it is reasonable to assume that the same would happen if prohibition of currently illegal substances was repealed.

speciallyblend
05-15-2010, 09:51 AM
both of you win the rpf cookie award :) oops i used the wrong butter!!

awake
05-15-2010, 10:04 AM
Here is my argument in one sentence: We spend billions of dollars prosecuting certain plants?

Teaser Rate
05-15-2010, 10:47 AM
I can see where you’re coming from, but I doubt that your arguments will win many people over.

Most people are statists who don’t see the government as the initiation of violence. Stressing that point accomplishes little besides discrediting your position in their eyes; it’s the same reason why the argument that all taxation is theft never got anywhere.

The general beliefs that drugs are bad and that government intervention to fight them is good are deeply rooted in people’s subconscious and can’t be swayed by rational arguments, because those beliefs aren’t rational to begin with.

IMO the most effective argument against drug criminalization or any other government policy has to come down to a simple thought that can appeal to everyone: It doesn’t work.

speciallyblend
05-15-2010, 11:01 AM
I can see where you’re coming from, but I doubt that your arguments will win many people over.

Most people are statists who don’t see the government as the initiation of violence. Stressing that point accomplishes little besides discrediting your position in their eyes; it’s the same reason why the argument that all taxation is theft never got anywhere.

The general beliefs that drugs are bad and that government intervention to fight them is good are deeply rooted in people’s subconscious and can’t be swayed by rational arguments, because those beliefs aren’t rational to begin with.

IMO the most effective argument against drug criminalization or any other government policy has to come down to a simple thought that can appeal to everyone: It doesn’t work.

never say never folks in my 3 surrounding counties we have majority votes of 52,56,72% county wide;) and that was in 2006;) The Legalize Marijuana/Decrim personal or medical is the Largest Voting blocks in our counties;) and we are making our goal to remove anyone in office willing to defend 75 yrs of lies in 2010!!!!!!! simple yes or no question!!! this is beyond marijuana now. It is about stopping insane policies and insane laws! anyone defending these insane laws shouldn't be allowed to run for office let alone be competent enough to vote!! i suggest you'alllll(said with southern accent) move to Leadville/Vail/Avon/Breck/Blue River/Frisco/Silverthorne/Twin Lakes/Fairplay/South Park/Alma Area Colorado:) see below
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=2695275

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=243574&highlight=leadville+liberty+project