PDA

View Full Version : A couple of questions in Zogby's poll

furface
05-15-2010, 06:11 AM
I'm taking Zogby's interactive poll this morning and was surprised at the following questions:

As new technologies emerge, one issue for parents will be whether to track their child through global positioning satellite (GPS) technology. If available at a reasonable cost and safe, how likely would you be to implant a chip in your child to track their whereabouts?

Do you agree or disagree with the following statement: Regardless of how necessary or successful the Troubled Asset Relief Program may turn out to be, the federal government should never purchase the equity or assets of private banks.

Given the wide variety of ways people use the Internet today, how likely are you to agree that the Internet could replace a significant other for a period of time?

sevin
05-15-2010, 07:34 AM
Given the wide variety of ways people use the Internet today, how likely are you to agree that the Internet could replace a significant other for a period of time?

wtf kind of question is that?

moostraks
05-15-2010, 07:40 AM
wtf kind of question is that?

Girl starved to death while parents raised virtual child in online game

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/mar/05/korean-girl-starved-online-game

This came to mind...

Anti Federalist
05-15-2010, 07:51 AM
As new technologies emerge, one issue for parents will be whether to track their child through global positioning satellite (GPS) technology. If available at a reasonable cost and safe, how likely would you be to implant a chip in your child to track their whereabouts?

70 percent or better.

sevin
05-15-2010, 03:24 PM
Girl starved to death while parents raised virtual child in online game

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/mar/05/korean-girl-starved-online-game

This came to mind...

yeah. But I'm just trying to understand why they would ask that question.

KCIndy
05-15-2010, 03:27 PM
70 percent or better.

Hey, I was chipped when I was a kid, and it was NO FUN AT ALL, lemme tell ya!

Anti Federalist
05-15-2010, 05:27 PM
70 percent or better.

Not quite but still a majority:

In this age of nationwide Amber Alerts and regular news reports of child abductions, a slight majority - 52% - said they would approve of geographic tracking devices attached to children, under the age of 12, if those devices transmitted signals to a password-protected website that the parents could monitor. Another 40% were opposed to the idea, while eight percent said they were unsure.

Women were slightly more likely than men to approve of such a device, as 55% of women and 51% of men favored use of such a device.

Interestingly, the older the respondent, the more likely they were to support the use of such a tracking device. Among those 18 to 24 years old, just 35% said they would favor the use of such technology, but 56% of those 55 to 69 years old and 59% of those 70 years of age and older favored using such equipment.

Ideologically, liberals were more likely to approve of the device than conservatives, by a 54% to 45% margin. But political moderates - who usually split the differences between the ideological poles in opinion surveys - are instead taking a stand in favor of this technology, as 61% said they would approve of tracking the whereabouts of children over the Internet.

http://www.zogby.com/News/ReadNews.cfm?ID=1707

moostraks
05-15-2010, 05:58 PM
yeah. But I'm just trying to understand why they would ask that question.

I guess to see how low we have gone morally as to whether we would admit to replacing real people for a cyber replacement. Fairly selfish personality if they are inclined to feel that way.

Makes me think of the Stepford Wives.

NYgs23
05-15-2010, 06:12 PM
In this age of nationwide Amber Alerts and regular news reports of child abductions, a slight majority - 52% - said they would approve of geographic tracking devices attached to children, under the age of 12, if those devices transmitted signals to a password-protected website that the parents could monitor. Another 40% were opposed to the idea, while eight percent said they were unsure.

Women were slightly more likely than men to approve of such a device, as 55% of women and 51% of men favored use of such a device.

Interestingly, the older the respondent, the more likely they were to support the use of such a tracking device. Among those 18 to 24 years old, just 35% said they would favor the use of such technology, but 56% of those 55 to 69 years old and 59% of those 70 years of age and older favored using such equipment.

Ideologically, liberals were more likely to approve of the device than conservatives, by a 54% to 45% margin. But political moderates - who usually split the differences between the ideological poles in opinion surveys - are instead taking a stand in favor of this technology, as 61% said they would approve of tracking the whereabouts of children over the Internet.

This should be considered child abuse, a violation of the child's right to privacy. Why not install cameras in the school restrooms as well? Another reason for me to despise the ongoing "sexual predator" hysteria.

KCIndy
05-15-2010, 09:05 PM
Hey, I was chipped when I was a kid, and it was NO FUN AT ALL, lemme tell ya!

Rats.

I can't believe no one took the bait and asked me....

http://legalplanet.files.wordpress.com/2009/08/cow-chips1.jpg
and no, that's not me in the photo.
:)