PDA

View Full Version : How Rand Paul became the Tea Party's Obama

bobbyw24
05-14-2010, 06:45 AM
His father's libertarian army and Rush Limbaugh's "Dittoheads" aren't natural allies. But Rand Paul has united them

http://www.salon.com/news/feature/2010/05/14/rand_paul_tea_party_obama/md_horiz.jpg

On the afternoon of Dec. 16, 2009, the 236th anniversary of the Boston Tea Party, Rand Paul left the office of his small ophthalmology practice in Bowling Green and drove 30 miles to Russellville, Ky. In an election year without the Tea Party movement, Rand Paul's campaign to become Kentucky's next U.S. senator would be just as quixotic as the bid his father, Ron Paul, made for the Republican presidential nomination in 2008. The younger Paul has never before run for political office, and he shares many of his father's unorthodox views, including a desire to abolish both the Federal Reserve and the Department of Education. Yet, today he would address Kentucky's Logan County Republicans as the race's front-runner.

At the Republican Party headquarters in Russellville, Paul took the podium. Dimpled and handsome, 47 years old, with boyishly tousled salt-and-pepper hair, he surveyed the audience, a crowd of mostly retirement-age GOP stalwarts. Then, in a casual and articulate drawl, Paul committed an act of heresy that would have once doomed any Kentucky Republican: He attacked the state's senior senator, the minority leader, Mitch McConnell. The oratory opened with a display of subtle rhetorical agility worthy of Mark Antony.

"I got into this initially because there were rumors they were trying to push Jim Bunning out of office," Paul began. "I said to a reporter, 'I think that's wrong.'"

The two-term Sen. Jim Bunning was the slain Caesar of the stump speech. Playing the role of Brutus, of course, was McConnell, whose hand rests on the GOP's national fundraising taps, and who, with a twist of the wrist, had effectively forced Bunning into retirement. Without directly accusing the honorable Republican leader, Paul decried Bunning's martyrdom.

"I think he's done a good job for us," he said. "He has been conservative, and when the bank bailout came up, Jim Bunning had the courage to vote against it." Paul didn't need to tell this group that Bunning had done so in defiance of McConnell -- and he was too gentlemanly to belabor the point. The implication was clear: The party boss had taken Bunning down for his principles.

To take Bunning's place, McConnell had groomed Trey Grayson, a five-generation Kentuckian and fellow graduate of the University of Kentucky Law School -- the "leadership academy" of Kentucky politics, as some call it -- who is Kentucky's current secretary of state. Most impressive on Grayson's political résumé is that he won reelection in 2007, even as the state overwhelmingly elected a Democratic governor. In a state where 60 percent of voters are registered Democrats, Grayson (who is himself a lapsed Democrat) had valuable crossover appeal. When McConnell began assessing Bunning's electoral prospects in early 2009, Grayson must have seemed especially appealing in contrast. The insubordinate and gaffe-prone Bunning had recently responded to Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg's diagnosis of pancreatic cancer by coldly forecasting that she would be dead within a year.

Grayson started the race with party backing, a reputation for competence, an ideal political résumé, and a 6-foot-5 frame that gave him an air of authority that his unspectacular public speaking sometimes lacked. When the first polling was done in September '09, Grayson had a 34-25 percent lead. Within four months, though, the numbers had reversed, and Paul told the Logan County Republicans why.

"If there's ever a year for an outsider who has never held office before, this is the year," Paul said. He recounted tales of Tea Party events. Seven hundred people in his hometown of Bowling Green had rallied on April 15; there were 4,000 in Louisville a few months later. By contrast, Paul said, "The biggest GOP event I've been to in the last seven months -- 200 people in Louisville. You can see how the Tea Party movement is big and it captures the discontent that's out there, and sometimes discontent with both sides."

The political divide between Paul and Grayson broadly represents a larger fault line within the GOP: It's Republicans who blame the Democrats versus Republicans who blame the government. A day earlier, on Dec. 15, 2009, a coalition of Tea Party groups had held an emergency "Code Red" rally in a park just north of the Capitol. Addressing the crowd was Sen. Jim DeMint of South Carolina, who appears to be making a bid to replace McConnell as the leader of the Senate Republicans.
http://www.salon.com/news/feature/2010/05/14/rand_paul_tea_party_obama

Brett85
05-14-2010, 07:16 AM
Has Rand actually said that he wants to abolish the Federal Reserve? In all of the debates he just talked about auditing the fed. My guess is that he may run away from that a little bit in the general election, because the Democrats may try to use that against him.

sailingaway
05-14-2010, 07:18 AM
When I posted this yesterday it was removed.

Maybe you have to spit when you say 'Rand Paul' and 'Obama' in the same sentence.

Or maybe its because people remember what a sell out Obama has been when measured against his campaign promises.

I didn't think it cast Rand in that light, but someone sure didn't like it.

sailingaway
05-14-2010, 07:20 AM
Has Rand actually said that he wants to abolish the Federal Reserve? In all of the debates he just talked about auditing the fed. My guess is that he may run away from that a little bit in the general election, because the Democrats may try to use that against him.

Even Ron says you can't end the fed now, you need it to unwind everything its done, at minimum. He's pushing for competing currencies, transparency, and regulation of the fed. I'm pretty sure I heard Rand mention competing currencies.

In fact, there is very little I have heard Rand mention that wasn't part of Ron's 'what we can do right now' agenda, as opposed to the ideals he uses to educate people on what form of government we should be working TOWARDS.

eok321
05-14-2010, 07:32 AM

This is on Rand's homepage

FEDERAL RESERVE

"With so much blame going around for the current financial crisis it is surprising that so few in the mainstream press have discussed the role of the Federal Reserve System. For too long the Federal Reserve has operated behind a shroud of mystery—as Senator I would make sure that all Americans understand the dangers of unsound monetary policy and shed light on this secretive organization."

I guess Rand thinks that once Americans find out what goes on at the Fed the people will want it abolished.

bobbyw24
05-14-2010, 07:36 AM
When I posted this yesterday it was removed.

Maybe you have to spit when you say 'Rand Paul' and 'Obama' in the same sentence.

Or maybe its because people remember what a sell out Obama has been when measured against his campaign promises.

I didn't think it cast Rand in that light, but someone sure didn't like it.

Guess that's why I din see it

Cardinal Red
05-14-2010, 09:30 AM
Title aside, this is one of the two or three most perceptive articles on Rand I've read in the mainstream media during this entire campaign. And I've read them all :o

bobbyw24
05-14-2010, 09:36 AM
Title aside, this is one of the two or three most perceptive articles on Rand I've read in the mainstream media during this entire campaign. And I've read them all :o

Yep-that is why I posted it

Jordan
05-14-2010, 09:39 AM
It took only 1.5 sentences before they unleashed the dirty word quixotic

bobbyw24
05-14-2010, 09:43 AM

Yeah and when he wins, they ain't gonna be alluding to ole Don no more

georgiaboy
05-14-2010, 10:20 AM

qft.

Is Salon always this polished? Reliable? I thought it was a bit less worthy of a read generally speaking. I'm re-thinking that based on this cogent article.

Badger Paul
05-14-2010, 10:23 AM
What the Pauls (and perhaps Rand does it better than Ron) are pointing out is that you can't say you are against big government and then happily accept its largess, and that includes the military industrial complex. You may think, Kentucky Republicans, that having Ft. Campbell is a good thing or having the TVA in your state is a good thing and there's nothing wrong with that. But there something wrong about biting the hand that feed you A lot of Republicans are starting to realize how far they've gone since 1994 and really since 1980 when Reagan said "Government isn't the solution but the problem." Well, which is it? People have got to choose otherwise the GOP is doomed. They might as well split up if they can't solve this contradiction. The Paul are basically saying "You've got to choose." Well, I think some are finally starting to make up their minds and no coincidence pork barrellers like McConnell and Rodgers are on the other side.

georgiaboy
05-14-2010, 10:28 AM
Not sure I understand the title of the article - how Rand became the Tea Party's Obama.

The article talks about uniting dittoheads and libertarians.

Did Obama do a similar thing on the 'left' side of the political spectrum? I don't see the connection.

georgiaboy
05-14-2010, 10:29 AM
btw, be sure and click through to the comments.

low preference guy
05-14-2010, 10:31 AM
Not sure I understand the title of the article - how Rand became the Tea Party's Obama.

The article talks about uniting dittoheads and libertarians.

Did Obama do a similar thing on the 'left' side of the political spectrum? I don't see the connection.

It just means Rand is becoming the leader of the Tea Party. It's a weak connection, just to get attention.

sailingaway
05-14-2010, 10:34 AM
qft.

Is Salon always this polished? Reliable? I thought it was a bit less worthy of a read generally speaking. I'm re-thinking that based on this cogent article.

They are ok, biased progressive, but give real info.

lukeman
05-14-2010, 10:36 AM
I enjoyed the article.

It's funny—the local 9/12 group was sending out warnings to members that the author was fishing around for interviews and to not speak with him.

low preference guy
05-14-2010, 10:44 AM
I enjoyed the article.

It's funny—the local 9/12 group was sending out warnings to members that the author was fishing around for interviews and to not speak with him.

hahaha

Brett85
05-14-2010, 11:16 AM
What the Pauls (and perhaps Rand does it better than Ron) are pointing out is that you can't say you are against big government and then happily accept its largess, and that includes the military industrial complex. You may think, Kentucky Republicans, that having Ft. Campbell is a good thing or having the TVA in your state is a good thing and there's nothing wrong with that. But there something wrong about biting the hand that feed you A lot of Republicans are starting to realize how far they've gone since 1994 and really since 1980 when Reagan said "Government isn't the solution but the problem." Well, which is it? People have got to choose otherwise the GOP is doomed. They might as well split up if they can't solve this contradiction. The Paul are basically saying "You've got to choose." Well, I think some are finally starting to make up their minds and no coincidence pork barrellers like McConnell and Rodgers are on the other side.

It's our overseas military bases that need to be closed down, not the bases here at home. The bases that we have here at home provide jobs for people and make us safer. I don't believe that either Ron or Rand support closing down military bases here in the U.S.

sailingaway
05-14-2010, 11:58 AM
It's our overseas military bases that need to be closed down, not the bases here at home. The bases that we have here at home provide jobs for people and make us safer. I don't believe that either Ron or Rand support closing down military bases here in the U.S.

No, in fact Ron said even if we kept the military in service, but brought them home, the economic impact from velocity of their pay being spent here, not there, would be insane for the economy.

RM918
05-14-2010, 12:55 PM
Another hit piece, comparing Rand to Obama! Insulting!

jabf2006
05-14-2010, 01:29 PM
Another hit piece, comparing Rand to Obama! Insulting!

Did you read it?

Distinguished Gentleman
05-14-2010, 01:33 PM
I was reluctant to read this, but it was factually correct without the typical snark. I'm pretty sure the allusions to Glen Beck were meant to be a subtle put down, but hey, they're writing for their audience.

The talk of "the social contracts that would need to be met with [our] newly gained freedom" reminded me a lot of my old sociology professors. I used to debate them in papers, but they ultimately have little faith in spontaneous order and have difficulty understanding macro arguments.

Matt Collins
05-14-2010, 01:39 PM
I think that it's in the AP Style Book that all reporters and media writers reference. I would bet money it describes Ron in there.

jabf2006
05-14-2010, 01:52 PM
I was reluctant to read this, but it was factually correct without the typical snark. I'm pretty sure the allusions to Glen Beck were meant to be a subtle put down, but hey, they're writing for their audience.

Indeed, and for this reason I believe the title was meant to be a compliment, not the insult we might view it as.

I thought overall, it was a very enjoyable read.

SilentBull
05-14-2010, 02:44 PM
I've met Bob Dwyer. Funny that he is featured in this article. We went to the RNC to support Ron.

RM918
05-14-2010, 08:34 PM
Did you read it?

I was being sarcastic.

bobbyw24
05-15-2010, 06:23 AM
http://amconmag.com/headline/1834/index.html