PDA

View Full Version : Why do we suddenly care so much about what Turkey thinks about us?

terlinguatx
10-11-2007, 03:50 PM

noxagol
10-11-2007, 03:53 PM
Massacre of 1.5 million Americans? what?

Tsoman
10-11-2007, 03:55 PM
Armenians

Adamsa
10-11-2007, 03:56 PM
Might be a move by democrats to make the war in Iraq that much harder to maintain. I think this and that SCHIP bill are in preperation to make Republicans look as bad as possible for the elctions.

coastie
10-11-2007, 04:04 PM
Ummm....because Turkey is very short hop by air for us to Syria, Iran, Iraq, if the need arose.

But they've already denied us entry (airspace) recently, and will probably deny it again.

They are deeply important for strategic military reasons, look at a map..

reaver
10-11-2007, 04:07 PM
Turkey has refrained from going into Iraq to fight the Kurds in the north... If this goes through they may not have that restraint anymore.

constituent
10-11-2007, 04:09 PM
Because Turkey is actively engaged with rebel forces and seperatists operating out of Iraq.

Syren123
10-11-2007, 04:10 PM
Once Uncle Sam yanks the $2 billion in foreign aid, they'll do what they're told. This is just the latest tantrum. And yes, Turkey is important to us strategically plus we have an airbase there. My uncle was the US Embassy CM there in the 90s.

constituent
10-11-2007, 04:12 PM
^what's a CM?

retrorepublican
I'm a Turkish Cypriot. Although I do think it was a genocide (albeit more a result of inefficient and imperial bureaucracy than anything else), I think the government has absolutely NO authority on this. Whether or not you recognize it as such is a personal matter. The Fed is just supposed to protect our rights. Plus, where in the Constitution does it say that Congress can waste taxpayer money to legislate history?

Also, the way the Armenian Genocide played out is very similar to the Trail of Tears under Andrew Jackson. Perhaps, the U.S. should recognize that as genocide. Wait, that's unconstitutional, too.

Syren123
^what's a CM?

Chief of Mission. Under the Ambassador.

Syren123
10-11-2007, 04:13 PM
I'm a Turkish Cypriot. Although I do think it was a genocide (albeit more a result of inefficient and imperial bureaucracy than anything else), I think the government has absolutely NO authority on this. Whether or not you recognize it as such is a personal matter. The Fed is just supposed to protect our rights. Plus, where in the Constitution does it say that Congress can waste taxpayer money to legislate history?

Also, the way the Armenian Genocide played out is very similar to the Trail of Tears under Andrew Jackson. Perhaps, the U.S. should recognize that as genocide. Wait, that's unconstitutional, too.

Exactly.

Kregener
10-11-2007, 06:07 PM
Um..er..Turkey is a NATO member.

Corydoras
10-11-2007, 06:47 PM
Methinks all the gripe is coming from our neocon media bosses who don't won't anything to compete with Holocaust Inc.

I think exactly the opposite, lol! I think this is all part of the "Islamofascism" propaganda shtick. As if to say: "The Islamofascists got the Armenians, now they'll go after Israelis." Crazy propaganda.

derdy
10-12-2007, 12:55 AM
Let's not forget about Sibel Edmonds (http://www.justacitizen.com/). She uncovered espionage within the FBI which was linked to Turkey and other high ranking US officials and has since been under gag per John Ashcroft.

See the trailer to her story-made-documentery, "Kill The Messenger" here (http://www.justacitizen.com/KillTheMessenger.html).

You can find the torrent here (http://www.torrentbox.com/torrent_details?id=99113)

And, she's smokin hot! yoW!!:D