PDA

View Full Version : NJ Gov. Chris Christie stands up to teachers unions...cuts spending

Fr3shjive
05-13-2010, 06:26 PM
Upon taking office Christie declared a state of emergency, signing an executive order that froze spending, and then, in eight weeks, cutting $13 billion in spending. In March he presented to the Legislature his first budget, which cuts 9 percent of spending, including more than $800 million in education funding; seeks to privatize numerous government functions; projects 1,300 layoffs; and caps tax increases.

Teachers unions are incensed, fighting Christie’s proposal that — in order to avoid cuts to education — teachers accept a one-year wage freeze and contribute 1.5 percent to the generous-by-every-standard healthcare plans they now enjoy for free. New Jersey, which has the highest unemployment in the region and highest taxes in the country, lost 121,000 jobs in the private sector in 2009 while adding 11,300 new education jobs. During the last eight years, K-12 enrollment rose just 3 percent while education jobs increased more than 16 percent. According to the Newark Star-Ledger, during the recession that has cost many residents their homes and jobs and scaled back hours and pay for the employed, teachers’ salaries rose by nearly 5 percent, double the rate of inflation.

Christie is adamant about lowering taxes. After taxes were raised 115 times in the last eight years, he said the wealthy are tapped out. Property taxes rose nearly 70 percent in the last decade, and studies show top earners — the 1 percent of taxpayers paying 40 percent of income tax — are fleeing the Garden State.

The goal is not just to crawl out of crisis but ultimately to lead, said Christie in his budget address. “If we make the tough decisions now, we will be one year ahead of 80 percent of the states in the race to economic growth. If we fail to act, we will fall even further behind ... by going first, we can become first.”

Can Christie succeed? We will find out on June 30, when the Legislature must pass a budget . But no matter the political price, Christie is determined. “You just have to stand and grit your teeth and know your poll numbers are going to go down — and mine have — but you gotta grit through it because the alternative is unacceptable,” he told The Wall Street Journal.

The alternative is unacceptable — words a growing majority of Americans desperately want to hear from their elected officials.

http://thehill.com/opinion/columnists/ab-stoddard/97603-nj-gov-sets-tone-for-us

Brooklyn Red Leg
05-13-2010, 06:35 PM
Unless Christie forces the scumbag administrators to scale back their outrageous pay, things are gonna get ugly. Its not the that are teachers are overpaid, its the stupid administrators that get scads of money. At least that is how it is where I am.

specsaregood
05-14-2010, 09:32 AM
//

JosephTheLibertarian
05-14-2010, 10:00 AM
That's my governor!

silverhandorder
05-14-2010, 10:10 AM
Christie is a badass.

Cowlesy
05-14-2010, 10:17 AM
Well you are in NJ, things are a bit different here in NJ where we have the highest price/student rate in the nation.

And that doesn't include their "cadillac" health plan for the entire family that they don't have to pay 1cent for. And doesn't include their very generous pension plan. And up until this year, their automatic 4% yearly pay raise.

This press conference from the other day was great:
YouTube - Gov Christie Shreds Thin-Skinned Reporter Press Conference (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UK_CZdS0K6o)

That report dun got owned.

itshappening
05-14-2010, 10:23 AM
I think Gov. Christie will make an excellent cabinet member in a Paul administration

Cowlesy
05-14-2010, 10:28 AM
I think there is a lesson to be learned on a larger scale in regards to what Governor Christie is trying to do.

People are absolutely boiling mad at him, and others absolutely love him. But those who are angry at him are spending money like crazy to try and thwart his agenda of cutting spending. I think this is why you never see cuts at the Federal level, as a President and his congress would get murdered (metaphorically) for trying to actually cut spending.

specsaregood
05-14-2010, 10:29 AM
//

specsaregood
05-14-2010, 10:35 AM
I think there is a lesson to be learned on a larger scale in regards to what Governor Christie is trying to do.

People are absolutely boiling mad at him, and others absolutely love him. But those who are angry at him are spending money like crazy to try and thwart his agenda of cutting spending. I think this is why you never see cuts at the Federal level, as a President and his congress would get murdered (metaphorically) for trying to actually cut spending.

It could get interesting about his state SC pick and the legislature saying they won't even hold hearings to approve her.
I found this suggesting intriguing:
http://blog.savejersey.com/2010/05/05/christie-should-invoke-article-v-to-force-democrats-hand.aspx

So since Sweeney, Scutari & Co. don't seem to have much respect for the state constitution, I want to bring their attention to another constitutional provision that the Dems also clearly haven't read before - Article V, Section 1, Paragraph 12:

12. The Governor shall communicate to the Legislature, by message at the opening of each regular session and at such other times as he may deem necessary, the condition of the State, and shall in like manner recommend such measures as he may deem desirable. He may convene the Legislature, or the Senate alone, whenever in his opinion the public interest shall require. He shall be the Commander-in-Chief of all the military and naval forces of the State. He shall grant commissions to all officers elected or appointed pursuant to this Constitution. He shall nominate and appoint, with the advice and consent of the Senate, all officers for whose election or appointment provision is not otherwise made by this Constitution or by law.

That's right, Save Jerseyans. Governor Christie can summon the State Senate and make them sit in the State House until doomsday if he so chooses. It's a procedural weapon that the Governor can and should consider using against the Democrats if the need exists this summer. Then we'll really separate the men from the boys, won't we?

If he does that, things will get fun, quick.

RichieLibertarian
05-14-2010, 10:41 AM
im form nj and I held serious reservations about christie....i supported lonegan for obvious reasons...but after a few months now, i can honestly say i have been quite impressed with christie.....hey when the unions start to hate you, you know you are doing something right....

Stary Hickory
05-14-2010, 11:06 AM
im form nj and I held serious reservations about christie....i supported lonegan for obvious reasons...but after a few months now, i can honestly say i have been quite impressed with christie.....hey when the unions start to hate you, you know you are doing something right....

I agree, Christie may not be the perfect candidate but he is doing a lot of good here. For once a politician is showing some backbone and dealing with the leeches and their cronies. I have to support this guy in what he is doing.

It's not like this is the end...it's just beginning. These kinds of cuts are going to happen at every level throughout the country. They have to happen

specsaregood
05-14-2010, 11:09 AM
I'm always amazed by how many NJ forum members we have. The RP groups in the state were very active even though it didn't help much in the primary results.

The Patriot
05-14-2010, 11:22 AM
Good job, he should stand up to those psychotic and parasitical leftist teacher unions who indoctrinate children into radical leftism, anti-capitalism and multiculturalism. They hate him so much they passed around a memo praying for his death.

http://biggovernment.com/kolson/2010/04/13/death-prayer-for-nj-gov-christie-is-yet-another-tasteless-attack-on-reform-minded-state-leaders/

Brooklyn Red Leg
05-14-2010, 11:25 AM
Well you are in NJ, things are a bit different here in NJ where we have the highest price/student rate in the nation.

But is that from Teacher pay (which I doubt) or from Administrative pay and costs (which is what I suspect)? I know where I lived, starting pay for teachers was 32k a year, while a Principle started at 60-70k, and the Superintendent of Schools got 250k a year to administer to 4 measly schools. Its the higher admins that eat up most of the budget. They love to throw 'junkets' to 'learn' for their paid cronies to eat up. That's how they buy favors with the Teacher's Unions.

specsaregood
05-14-2010, 11:29 AM
//

damiengwa
05-14-2010, 12:45 PM
tinkering on the edges wiht a broken system. NJ spends $16k/year per student. Do you all have any idea what kind of wonderful education you can give a kid for that?

Keep in mind that 16K is for all students. k-12. Do you need that kind of funding for kindergarden and grade school?

Hows about they fire every teacher in the state, and allow them to take over the buildings and set up their own private business. Give every family only half that, $8K CASH to spend on their kids education, or home school if they want. You really think half the kids in Trenton would be functionally illiterate by the time the "graduate."

Public education FAIL. NJ State budget FAIL...