PDA

View Full Version : New Liberty website launched!

Roxi
05-12-2010, 11:51 PM
http://www.laughterandliberty.com

check it out... feedback?

0zzy
05-13-2010, 12:00 AM

I believe in some sort of centralized website for the liberty movement. CampaignForLiberty should of been that place. CFL should of been a Huffington Post/Daily Kos for the libertarian/constitutional conservatives. But they failed with that mission.

several different websites will only minimize overall readership and quality in a relatively small movement which offers very much the same ideas. I don't know why all the best sites don't just form into a conglomerate superpower for liberty forums, news and media.

nayjevin
05-13-2010, 02:52 PM

I believe in some sort of centralized website for the liberty movement. CampaignForLiberty should of been that place. CFL should of been a Huffington Post/Daily Kos for the libertarian/constitutional conservatives. But they failed with that mission.

several different websites will only minimize overall readership and quality in a relatively small movement which offers very much the same ideas. I don't know why all the best sites don't just form into a conglomerate superpower for liberty forums, news and media.

Let's call it the United Nations!

But seriously, more websites is more competition. Networking and expanding base is key, especially on the Internet. It's a matter of understanding traffic and how de-centralization wins.

RPF gets excellent search results. A base of tangential sites surrounding and linking through and around it broadens and strengthens the foundation of everything we do.

Whether this particular site will last the test of time is immaterial - more sites are better for diversity, competition, exposure etc.

There is a saturation point - but we can trust the market to determine it.

0zzy
05-13-2010, 03:11 PM
Let's call it the United Nations!

But seriously, more websites is more competition. Networking and expanding base is key, especially on the Internet. It's a matter of understanding traffic and how de-centralization wins.

RPF gets excellent search results. A base of tangential sites surrounding and linking through and around it broadens and strengthens the foundation of everything we do.

Whether this particular site will last the test of time is immaterial - more sites are better for diversity, competition, exposure etc.

There is a saturation point - but we can trust the market to determine it.

To each there own I do suppose ! I like decentralization but I do not believe the "liberty website" market is at all saturated. Though as far as competition goes, I am a loyal patron of the Liberty Forest :).

RM918
05-13-2010, 04:02 PM
Bit of an eyesore in some ways, reminds me of websites from the 90s. Too long.

LittleLightShining
05-14-2010, 08:10 AM
I love it.

Roxi
05-14-2010, 03:28 PM
thanks LLS :) This isn't a website dedicated to centralizing anyone, This website is an attempt to make people laugh with photos, articles, and videos that also inform people of current events that no one hears about. In honesty, I didn't expect people super involved in the liberty movement to love it, because my goal is to bring in people who would never otherwise be looking at things like independent news sites. I want a place people like our moms and sisters and cousins and aunts can send their friends to who would otherwise be getting all of their information from Nancy Grace. Plus I took a very long much needed break from politics and am ready to voice my opinion in my own way. I also am hosting free ad space on my site and promoting other important liberty causes, like Porcfest and Freedom Watch.

I also (through analytics) know that some people are spending 10 minutes and up, so I guess if it informs and educates only a few then it was worth it in the end.

So thanks for your feedback, I did ask for it, but I am not discouraged by it :D

Roxi
05-14-2010, 03:29 PM
Oh and I like the 90's

Roxi
05-15-2010, 09:14 AM
Now I am offering free ads at the bottom for liberty related podcasts or internet radio shows for a limited time. Also certain liberty related events and people might get ad space on there too depending on what it is.... anyone interested let me know... I have a few down there already :)

Suzu
05-15-2010, 12:56 PM
I note the home page has no Title. in the source code I see <title></title>
where I ought to see something like <title>Laughter and Liberty</title>

Roxi
05-15-2010, 02:41 PM
I note the home page has no Title. in the source code I see <title></title>
where I ought to see something like <title>Laughter and Liberty</title>

yes, the title is set to blank because where it would automatically place it would interfere with graphics... it is still going to be index.html but I have the permalinks rerouted.

I should note that while I have built a few simple websites for others it has always been with the help of my husband. This is my first site done completely by myself without his help. There are shortcuts I took because I knew how to take them even though there is probably a better route because I didn't want to ask for help and I was launching it 2 days after having the idea. So while I didn't specifically note it on the site, I consider it in Beta. Many changes will come and I am open to suggestions. For now I wanted to get my opinion out there, inform people I know, and support other liberty causes by sharing links and giving free ads to people. :)

Imperial
05-15-2010, 03:35 PM
I posted this on the facebook page, but if you would be willing to advertise my lowly blog at The Liberty Ticker (http://libertyticker.blogspot.com)I would greatly appreciate it. I have made it my personal cause to cover the multitude of liberty-oriented political campaigns that have swept the country on that site, and posts discussing the art of politics and government. Since I am technologically inept, I have no banner.

BTW, as far as suggestions go for the website I might show less of each entry on the front page if possible. You want readers to see all of the different headlines, but if it is too long they may just burn out and read the top one. So make the front page like a 'preview' of articles with a zinger to get their attention. Either way though, i like it.

Suzu
05-15-2010, 04:17 PM
No, it won't interfere with your graphics. The title from the <title> tag appears at the very top of the browser window only - like in this window, in the very uppermost left it says "New Liberty website launched! - Liberty Forest - [your browser name]". As it is, your page title is blank.

Roxi
05-16-2010, 11:16 AM
Suzu thanks... It was a theme setting that was making the graphics wonky when the title was in there... so that should be fixed.

and Imperial, thanks, I responded to your post on fb as well. And I changed it to just a summary does that look better to you?

I may make 3 pages one for pics one for video and one for articles and separate them all.... thoughts?

Roxi
06-07-2010, 08:58 PM
bump for new content

Roxi
11-19-2010, 07:58 PM
http://i52.tinypic.com/2jt729.png

I took a couple months off from posting, but started back up this week. I think its catchin on I'm tellin ya :D

BuddyRey
11-19-2010, 09:49 PM
I love it, Roxic! Comedy and Libertarianism aren't found together often enough, IMO, and the liberty movement could really benefit from some wry commentators and satirists. So far, liberals have us licked in that department. But I'm encouraged that, as liberty becomes more mainstream, the joke will finally be on the statists for once!

Roxi
11-20-2010, 11:23 AM
I love it, Roxic! Comedy and Libertarianism aren't found together often enough, IMO, and the liberty movement could really benefit from some wry commentators and satirists. So far, liberals have us licked in that department. But I'm encouraged that, as liberty becomes more mainstream, the joke will finally be on the statists for once!

Thanks man!