PDA

View Full Version : BJ Lawson is The Best Liberty Candidate

paulaholic
05-12-2010, 07:55 PM
I've followed Ron Paul, Rand Paul, and BJ Lawson since their original campaigns began, and after reviewing some of their speech/debate footage over the past few days, I think it's pretty clear that Lawson is the best candidate for spreading libertarian views to the public, and achieving mainstream success.

Ron Paul is as ideologically pure as he can be, but let's face it: he's not a great speaker. He never will be. He helped the libertarian movement make tremendous strides during his 2008 campaign, but he will never be able to successfully run for an office higher than Representative. His unpolished rhetorical skills made it easier for the media to slap the "fringe" tag on his candidacy. It's not right that speaking ability figures so heavily into electoral decisions, but it's a reality.

I have to be honest and say that, while I still support him, I haven't been that impressed with Rand. He seems like a watered-down version of his father - a middle ground between the mainstream GOP. While I have little doubt he would be a good senator, he seems to shy away from his libertarian positions in debates and speeches, and that’s a concern. Also, he seems far too willing to engage in silly little squabbles with Greyson, instead of keeping the talk centered on the issues.

Lawson, on the other hand, is an extremely eloquent speaker, and exhibits the charisma needed to succeed in politics. He is unafraid to voice his opposition to the Iraq War and the police state, and he is also able to present his ideas in a way that makes them more palatable to mainstream Republicans. The fact that he is in a Democratic-leaning district may seem like a negative, but he seems like he may be able to harness the support of independents and anti-war Democrats looking for a change.

Obviously BJ will not be running for President any time soon, but he is definitely our best bet to do so in the long run. I really don’t think Ron Paul should run a second time, he has been an outstanding catalyst for the movement, but it is time for him to pass the torch to a younger liberty candidate who will be harder for the media to dismiss. Presidential campaigns are grueling, and I would be a bit concerned for Ron’s health if he were to commit to such an ordeal again. As of right now I support Gary Johnson, but I fear that his emphasis on pro-marijuana activism will make it difficult for him to gain traction.

Thoughts?

Vessol
05-12-2010, 07:59 PM
I disagree. Ron Paul is amazingly plain spoken and awesome to listen to. He sounds more genuine than any others IMO at least. His smile is real and when he gots off stage to shake hands and mingle with his supporters, it isn't some retarded red carpet behind the line BS you see with so many other mainsteam politcians.

However I've seen little of Lawson's speeches, perhaps you could link a good one or two?

Chester Copperpot
05-12-2010, 07:59 PM
George Hutchins RULES!!! He blows away Lawson!!!! HAHAHAHA!

Fozz
05-12-2010, 08:00 PM
I have to be honest and say that, while I still support him, I haven't been that impressed with Rand. He seems like a watered-down version of his father - a middle ground between the mainstream GOP. While I have little doubt he would be a good senator, he seems to shy away from his libertarian positions in debates and speeches, and that’s a concern. Also, he seems far too willing to engage in silly little squabbles with Greyson, instead of keeping the talk centered on the issues.

It is not Rand's fault that the smug neocon, Trey Grayson, keeps attacking Rand and lying about him. Rand has to respond in return.

Rand has actually promised to stop attacking Grayson and stick to the issues if Grayson would stop attacking and lying, and this was months ago. Obviously, Grayson has continued to attack Rand.

Fozz
05-12-2010, 08:02 PM
Also, being in a Democrat district will hurt Lawson, especially in 2012 (if he wins this year), when the Obamabots who know nothing about their congressman vote in droves and throw him out.

A lot of them will stay home this year.

Imperial
05-12-2010, 08:04 PM
Also, being in a Democrat district will hurt Lawson, especially in 2012 (if he wins this year), when the Obamabots who know nothing about their congressman vote in droves and throw him out.

If he wins in 2010 it would be all worth it, whether he lost in 2012 or not. Then, many GOPers would notice if an entrenched democrat like Price fell to such an outsider. And Lawson would be poised to run for his seat again, or for another office, with this substantial attention. And if he proves he could win in 2010, we could even see NRCC support in a future run.

Chester Copperpot
05-12-2010, 08:08 PM
Everybody knows BJ Lawson is bad... heh just kidding of course but I find this too funny

http://i37.tinypic.com/qsvccl.jpg

MRoCkEd
05-12-2010, 08:09 PM
BJ is a better speaker than Ron, I agree. He is more "bold" than Rand but that's because he can afford it in his district. The GOP primary is not very competitive, so he doesn't have to sound "tough on terror" and so forth. In the general election, though, I feel his chances are very slim. He will be able to get crossovers through a clear anti-war and pro-civil liberties message. However, he is still running against an entrenched democrat in a strongly democratic district. If Price feels BJ is catching up to him in the polls, he just needs to remind his constituents that Lawson opposes abortion rights and social programs. If things really got bad, Price could just have Obama make a campaign appearance for him, and then it would likely be game over in that very pro-Obama district. Still, he deserves support and let's hope democratic apathy and republican revival combined with luck and good campaigning sweeps him into office.

paulaholic
05-12-2010, 08:14 PM
I disagree. Ron Paul is amazingly plain spoken and awesome to listen to. He sounds more genuine than any others IMO at least. His smile is real and when he gots off stage to shake hands and mingle with his supporters, it isn't some retarded red carpet behind the line BS you see with so many other mainsteam politcians.

However I've seen little of Lawson's speeches, perhaps you could link a good one or two?

I couldn't agree more about Ron's authenticity. What I'm talking about is the reaction of the general population. Most people are used to smooth talking politicians like Obama and Romney, and they are put off by Ron's awkward ways of delivering his message. Also, unless you are familiar with Ron's message, his interview and debate responses can be hard to follow, as he often stammers and changes his sentence structure halfway through.

marc1888
05-12-2010, 08:19 PM
BJ is a exceptional candidate well versed on the issues and an extremely well liked individual even amongst the democrats.

Ron Paul i think needs to run in 2012 to keep the momentum of the liberty movement going... At least to get some others elected.

paulaholic
05-12-2010, 08:19 PM

I was wondering what "inflammatory remarks" were being referred to during the debate, and I guess that picture you posted explains it pretty well.

During the debate I was thinking that Hutchins seemed pretty reasonable, and I was astounded that the GOP would "disavow" the candidacy of a military veteran. I can't believe that someone so seemingly normal would put things like that in writing.

klamath
05-12-2010, 08:30 PM
I like BJ but think he running in a district he can't win.
What is it with people making these posts pitting the liberty candidates against each other??
We already have had several threads pitting Rand against Schiff now this. Can't people just support their favorite candidate without tearing into the others?
People all you are doing is dividing the liberty camp between candidates when the candidates are NOT competing with each other!

wildturkey
05-12-2010, 08:31 PM
The GOP disavowed him because of pictures like the one you saw. He is a radical racist, radical homophobe, radical antisemite. We learned that early on. He was not allowed to hand out materials at any GOP event what so ever. He is a disgrace to humanity.

rancher89
05-12-2010, 08:40 PM
Umm, am I in the wrong place or what?

BJ is a strong Liberty Candidate and whatever smear the opposition throws at him, he can overcome it and be the stronger candidate for it.

BS pics like the above are slung at anyone who bucks the religious right wing of the gop.....it doesn't matter what the truth is, just sling crap til you run out of money.....

BJ is actually more articulate than Ron, but he doesn't have the years, nay, decades of saying the same things over and over. He's also more photogenic, but that's not the point....grins.

Anyone who thinks that BJ doesn't have a fighting chance in NC Dist 4, doesn't know the demographics and the numbers from the primary.

Vessol
05-12-2010, 08:42 PM
People be trollin', don't worry about it.

Epic
05-12-2010, 08:45 PM
Kokesh is the best speaker, but he also has baggage.

Schiff is the best on the economy.

By the way - there will be redistricting after 2010, so if BJ and the republicans get in, they can dish out some favors to BJ and get some democrat areas of his district moved out and some republican areas moved in.

Chester Copperpot
05-12-2010, 08:50 PM
I was wondering what "inflammatory remarks" were being referred to during the debate, and I guess that picture you posted explains it pretty well.

During the debate I was thinking that Hutchins seemed pretty reasonable, and I was astounded that the GOP would "disavow" the candidacy of a military veteran. I can't believe that someone so seemingly normal would put things like that in writing.

Wait are you telling me there was actually a debate between George Hutchins and BJ Lawson???

OMG I have got to see that...

Thats got to be classic gold.

BuddyRey
05-12-2010, 11:25 PM
Wait are you telling me there was actually a debate between George Hutchins and BJ Lawson???

OMG I have got to see that...

Thats got to be classic gold.

Ditto!

tremendoustie
05-12-2010, 11:29 PM
I agree, BJ is the best liberty candidate period -- perhaps with the exception of Ron.

He is definitely an outstanding communicator, and very principled.

Shotdown1027
05-13-2010, 01:38 AM
I agree, BJ is the best liberty candidate period -- perhaps with the exception of Ron.

He is definitely an outstanding communicator, and very principled.

Lawson can't win his district, I'd say that disqualifies him in the running for "best liberty candidate period". Lawson should've taken this opportunity to run in an adjacent district, to run for State Senate or State House--SOMETHING else. He got smoked last time and he'll get smoked this time with much less money.

tremendoustie
05-13-2010, 01:40 AM
Lawson can't win his district, I'd say that disqualifies him in the running for "best liberty candidate period". Lawson should've taken this opportunity to run in an adjacent district, to run for State Senate or State House--SOMETHING else. He got smoked last time and he'll get smoked this time with much less money.

The district is not the candidate. I'm glad he's running, and doing what he is. If he looses this time, it's time to move.

Hopefully to NH :), but maybe just over the line into a better district.

Shotdown1027
05-13-2010, 07:51 AM
The district is not the candidate. I'm glad he's running, and doing what he is. If he looses this time, it's time to move.

Hopefully to NH :), but maybe just over the line into a better district.

The candidate is great--but like John Dennis in Pelosi's district--the race isn't winnable. The demographics simply aren't there. The sooner we learn this, the better.

teamrican1
05-13-2010, 08:48 AM
I couldn't agree more about Ron's authenticity. What I'm talking about is the reaction of the general population. Most people are used to smooth talking politicians like Obama and Romney, and they are put off by Ron's awkward ways of delivering his message. Also, unless you are familiar with Ron's message, his interview and debate responses can be hard to follow, as he often stammers and changes his sentence structure halfway through.

Yeah, Ron is a mediocre speaker at best. Even his best speeches are riddled with tiny mistakes, and at his worst he's very, very, bad. Part of that is age but the truth is even back in the 80's he still wasn't blowing anyone away with his eloquence. I think some people within the Liberty movement tend to discount how bad a speaker Paul is because they are so familiar with his issues that they mentally fix all his mistakes in their head but for the general audience it's a huge deal. When he stammers, or leaves a point incomplete, or throws in a word opposite of what he intended it makes it impossible for them to follow and as paulaholic notes, makes it easy for him to be dismissed as a "kook". I'd also add that Paul is a really poor debater. Even in the last Presidential Election there were plenty of moments were Paul's opponents opened themselves up and a practiced debater like Schiff, Lawson, or Napolitano would have made devastating counterpoints but Paul just rambles on about the same old stuff or makes a weak rejoinder.

Ron Paul isn't a great speaker, and doesn't have particularly strong practical political skills of any sort. His appeal really boils down to one thing- integrity. For 30 years he's walked the walk and compiled a nearly 100% pro-liberty, pro-Constitution voting record. That's what makes him so unique, and why he earns so much respect. I like BJ and hope he wins, but it's an uphill fight. If he does win the seat he should definitely try to parlay that in to a run for higher (statewide if there is any opportunity) office because he's sure to lose that district in Obama's re-election year.

John Taylor
05-13-2010, 09:21 AM
Thoughts?

Unfortunately, B.J. Lawson is running in a very democratic district, which makes his race much easier, and gives him much more leeway in terms of being hetrodox by typical Republican standards in NC. Rand Paul on the other hand is running as a first time candidate in an entire state, and has to build a coalition in order to win before he can be protected by the incumbency which protects Ron when he speaks out so strongly. Lawson has, to be blunt, nothing to lose by being extremely bold in his pronouncements. Rand needs to be careful in the style of his message, tailoring it rightly as the fiscal, constitutional message it is, in order to survive and become a spokesman for individual liberty in this land.

klamath
05-13-2010, 09:29 AM
Unfortunately, B.J. Lawson is running in a very democratic district, which makes his race much easier, and gives him much more leeway in terms of being hetrodox by typical Republican standards in NC. Rand Paul on the other hand is running as a first time candidate in an entire state, and has to build a coalition in order to win before he can be protected by the incumbency which protects Ron when he speaks out so strongly. Lawson has, to be blunt, nothing to lose by being extremely bold in his pronouncements. Rand needs to be careful in the style of his message, tailoring it rightly as the fiscal, constitutional message it is, in order to survive and become a spokesman for individual liberty in this land.
Yep
In a safe democratic district the republican running can be and say what ever they want. The democrat doesn't even have to call them out as extremists in the general election. Kind of like a little poodle yapping at a big dog.

yokna7
05-13-2010, 09:39 AM

I know, Hutchins is the creepiest dude I've seen in a while. I will be sad to see him not be in the public eye. He seems like a lot of fun.:rolleyes:

paulaholic
05-13-2010, 02:59 PM

I don't necessarily agree. Last year, BJ did not have a viable opponent, but this year, he was opposed by an establishment candidate with roughly equal funding. He was able to win and did not attempt to downplay his true positions.

erowe1
05-13-2010, 03:02 PM
The need is greater in the Senate. And we'll never get someone in there if we can't tolerate people watering down the platform more than what we might get from someone running for the House.

nayjevin
05-13-2010, 03:05 PM
Yeah, Ron is a mediocre speaker at best... When he stammers, or leaves a point incomplete, or throws in a word opposite of what he intended it makes it impossible for them to follow and as paulaholic notes, makes it easy for him to be dismissed as a "kook".

A person looking for a reason to label him that way will find it. That's not our target audience though - it's people who naturally see through the slick suits - and don't realize yet there's another option.

B.J. Lawson is a great candidate for the future. There are a bunch cropping up.

Brett
05-13-2010, 03:08 PM
Why hasn't Adam Kokesh been brought up in this thread yet?

He's still my favorite.

erowe1
05-13-2010, 03:21 PM
Yeah, Ron is a mediocre speaker at best.

I've never understood that criticism. I think Ron's a great speaker. The only way I can see saying he's not is for people who expect drama and pizzazz. Judged as an actor or fire and brimstone preacher, he might not be that great. But judged as a teacher, he's one of the best.

GunnyFreedom
05-13-2010, 03:25 PM

I was on the State executive committee that censured him. I agreed with the decision and voted yea. the man is a fellow Marine, but I believe he brings shame to it. I've met the guy personally a few times. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that he was diagnostically ill.

GunnyFreedom
05-21-2010, 11:13 AM

A lot of them will stay home this year.

Which is why it's absolutely critical to throw in on the NC STATE LEGISLATURE races so that we can fix the district gerrymandering in places like NC-4 (David Price) and NC-12 (Mel Watt, enemy of "Audit The Fed")

I am not exaggerating when I tell you that for the first time since reconstruction we are closer to a GOP majority than we have ever been in 2010, PLUS this legislature will be drawing he voting districts... PLUS we have a small bevy of liberty candidates on the State level...

I am not kidding when I tell you that my winning or losing this race could very well decide whether Lawson stays seated in 2012 and whether Mel Watt becomes vulnerable...