PDA

View Full Version : [ARTICLE] ~ "18 Veterans Commit Suicide Each Day"

Reason
05-12-2010, 07:12 PM
18 Veterans Commit Suicide Each Day (http://www.armytimes.com/news/2010/04/military_veterans_suicide_042210w/)

By Rick Maze - Staff writer
Posted : Monday Apr 26, 2010 8:00:40 EDT

Troubling new data show there are an average of 950 suicide attempts each month by veterans who are receiving some type of treatment from the Veterans Affairs Department.

Seven percent of the attempts are successful, and 11 percent of those who don’t succeed on the first attempt try again within nine months.
The numbers, which come at a time when VA is strengthening its suicide prevention programs, show about 18 veteran suicides a day, about five by veterans who are receiving VA care.

Access to care appears to be a key factor, officials said, noting that once a veteran is inside the VA care program, screening programs are in place to identify those with problems, and special efforts are made to track those considered at high risk, such as monitoring whether they are keeping appointments.

A key part of the new data shows the suicide rate is lower for veterans aged 18 to 29 who are using VA health care services than those who are not. That leads VA officials to believe that about 250 lives have been saved each year as a result of VA treatment.

VA’s suicide hotline has been receiving about 10,000 calls a month from current and former service members. The number is 1-800-273-8255. Service members and veterans should push 1 for veterans’ services.
Dr. Janet Kemp, VA’s national suicide prevention coordinator, credits the hotline with rescuing 7,000 veterans who were in the act of suicide — in addition to referrals, counseling and other help.

Suicide attempts by Iraq and Afghanistan veterans remains a key area of concern. In fiscal 2009, which ended Sept. 30, there were 1,621 suicide attempts by men and 247 by women who served in Iraq or Afghanistan, with 94 men and four women dying.

In general, VA officials said, women attempt suicide more often, but men are more likely to succeed in the attempt, mainly because women use less lethal and less violent means while men are more likely to use firearms.
Suicide attempts among veterans appear to follow those trends, officials said.

QueenB4Liberty
05-12-2010, 07:17 PM
:(

Linus
05-12-2010, 07:22 PM
There's absolutely no citation or attribution for the data mentioned in that article whatsoever. Where does this data come from?

rancher89
05-12-2010, 07:26 PM
There's a report out there on head trauma on the military field and otherwise. Reason had an article on it.

I'm not sure if the suicides have anything to do with the uptick in head trauma, but IMHO, there's got to be some sort of relationship.

I did medical dutiy during Vietnam, you never saw any head trauma injuries like they describe now.....the difference....the medical triage in the field is better and the kids are getting to the M*A*S*H units much, much quicker.

IMHO, usually suicide is not a good decision

I do subscribe to self determination up to and including when you decide when your life should end.

It is a tough situation, we take kids, indoctrinate them from the cradle, practically, and then even more so in public schools and then the military....and then they are faced with the realities of life.

IMHO war sucks and the damage it does to the individual who is not fully indoctrinated...is monumental. Those who survive head trauma and who are not fully on board with the "mission" may find it hard to continiue on.....

Add on to that the poor care these guys and gals get when they return.

Reason
05-12-2010, 07:26 PM
There's absolutely no citation or attribution for the data mentioned in that article whatsoever. Where does this data come from?

Sent the author an email asking him that question.

Reason
05-12-2010, 07:34 PM
Here is the source (http://ipsnorthamerica.net/news.php?idnews=2784)

"Of the more than 30,000 suicides in this country each year, fully 20 percent of them are acts by veterans,'' said VA Secretary Eric Shinseki at a VA-sponsored suicide prevention conference on Monday. "That means on average 18 veterans commit suicide each day.

Linus
05-12-2010, 07:36 PM
Hmm, a rather spurious source, no? "InterPress Service"? I'd trust the Army Times itself before that. And Rancher, did you mean Reason the magazine or Reason the poster?

Reason
05-12-2010, 07:38 PM
Hmm, a rather spurious source, no? "InterPress Service"? I'd trust the Army Times itself before that. And Rancher, did you mean Reason the magazine or Reason the poster?

Looks like the VA is the "source".

Linus
05-12-2010, 07:39 PM
I found the speech from Shinseki at a few other sources, so the quote and info appear to be accurate. Kind of strange that the Army Times didn't mention the source for their info.

RM918
05-12-2010, 07:59 PM
I've heard this a few times before, so it's not an asspull. I'm not very surprised. When you dehumanize the enemy and try to train these guys to think that every family they kill is somehow to the greater good, what value can they put on life?

Linus
05-12-2010, 08:01 PM
No, I'm not surprised at all, and I thank the OP for posting this. I didn't mean to sound so skeptical, I just wanted the source.

Vessol
05-12-2010, 08:03 PM
The Empire has and never will care for its foot soldiers. They are just tools to get the job done. They need to wake up to this fact.

Pericles
05-12-2010, 08:06 PM
OK, so out of the 24 million vets in the US, 6K per year try to kill themselves or 1 in 4000 compared to 1 in 10,000 for the rest of the population.

I see why that is a really big problem.

Linus
05-12-2010, 08:13 PM
I wish they'd start killing other people instead. Then the problem wouldn't be as invisible as it is now.

catdd
05-12-2010, 08:58 PM
Problem is, it's probably mostly the decent one's with a conscious that kill themselves; the one's that don't give a damn come back here to be cops.

Reason
05-12-2010, 10:02 PM
Problem is, it's probably mostly the decent one's with a conscious that kill themselves; the one's that don't give a damn come back here to be cops.

:(:mad:

BlackTerrel
05-12-2010, 10:08 PM
Suicide attempts by Iraq and Afghanistan veterans remains a key area of concern. In fiscal 2009, which ended Sept. 30, there were 1,621 suicide attempts by men and 247 by women who served in Iraq or Afghanistan, with 94 men and four women dying.

So last year there were 2,000 suicides by veterans.

"Of the more than 30,000 suicides in this country each year, fully 20 percent of them are acts by veterans,'' said VA Secretary Eric Shinseki at a VA-sponsored suicide prevention conference on Monday. "That means on average 18 veterans commit suicide each day.

20% would be 6,000.

You'd also have to control for demographics such as the vast majority of veterans are men and younger. Both demographics that commit suicide in larger numbers.

I think someone posted an article a couple months ago that suicide by soldiers was no different from that of the general population.

http://www.newser.com/story/25681/docs-suffer-highest-suicide-rate.html

Newser) – Depression among physicians sparks 300 to 400 suicides a year, the highest rate of any profession, Newsweek reports. While male suicides outnumber female 4 to 1 in the general population, the rate among male and female doctors is about the same. "Undiagnosed and untreated depression is the culprit here," said a psychiatry professor.