PDA

View Full Version : The Sex Gap: more girls than guys in college!

Matt Collins
05-12-2010, 10:21 AM
Looks like a great time for me to go back to school!

http://mjperry.blogspot.com/2010/05/huge-college-degree-gap-for-class-of.html

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

JosephTheLibertarian
05-12-2010, 10:23 AM

http://mjperry.blogspot.com/2010/05/huge-college-degree-gap-for-class-of.html

I told you to get that chic's number.... now look at what you're reduced to.

Linus
05-12-2010, 10:24 AM
It's been that way for a while, and it's actually really bad news. It means that young American men are giving up on "higher education" in America, and with good reason. It's also reflected--and not positively--in the education process that does still exist.

Matt Collins
05-12-2010, 10:26 AM
I told you to get that chic's number.... now look at what you're reduced to.
Huh??? :confused:

Brooklyn Red Leg
05-12-2010, 10:27 AM

90% of the women of the world only want to have sex with 10% of the men. Its all about being an Alpha Male (douchebag, usually). All the rest of us are out of luck.

Yay for my 1000th post! :D

JosephTheLibertarian
05-12-2010, 10:28 AM
90% of the women of the world only want to have sex with 10% of the men. Its all about being an Alpha Male (douchebag, usually). All the rest of us are out of luck.

that...or not fearing rejection. once that fear subsides, you can do anything. think of each rejection as a learning experience. think of each rejector as a b**** not worthy of you. move on...

That's why I gotta gf

note - don't be an egotistical dick. just change your thinking. instead of an inferiority complex "i'm ugly :(" think she doesnt deserve you and move on, instead of dwelling on the bs

Brown Sapper
05-12-2010, 10:40 AM
I think the pendulum will swing the other way after the war is over. The services have now started cutting off enlistment bonuses and now many servicemen are getting out. Many of them are finally able to use their GI bill. Since the job market is shit right now, it seems that is the only option for most of them.

NoHero
05-12-2010, 10:42 AM

I've known about this descrepancy for a while. I always just played the guy making fun of the Alpha Male tendencies, and got away with it just as well. That is-- until recently, when I found it against my morals to take advantage of these "drunk bitches," who are really always in such a depressing state...

muzzled dogg
05-12-2010, 10:42 AM
fed should step in and even things out

DeadheadForPaul
05-12-2010, 10:43 AM
I think the pendulum will swing the other way after the war is over. The services have now started cutting off enlistment bonuses and now many servicemen are getting out. Many of them are finally able to use their GI bill. Since the job market is shit right now, it seems that is the only option for most of them.

The achievement gap b/w males and females has been going on for a long time and has little to do with any particular war

The gap is especially notable in the African-American community where it's something like twice as many women go to college as men

I'd read that men are just more likely to lead lifestyles where education is not important whereas women see college as an opportunity to empower themselves and to meet a husband

Elwar
05-12-2010, 10:46 AM
Too bad they're taking courses like "Women's studies", "Humanities", "English" or "Early Childhood Education". They'll be able to have some deep conversations with their co-workers at McDonalds.

The math, science and computer degrees are still heavily filled by guys.

JosephTheLibertarian
05-12-2010, 10:54 AM
Too bad they're taking courses like "Women's studies", "Humanities", "English" or "Early Childhood Education". They'll be able to have some deep conversations with their co-workers at McDonalds.

lol. maybe because men have more interest in those fields? :rolleyes:

low preference guy
05-12-2010, 10:55 AM

Yeah, a lot of women are wasting their times taking bullshit classes.

JosephTheLibertarian
05-12-2010, 10:56 AM

what's wrong with working at mcdonalds? atleast they have a job

NoHero
05-12-2010, 10:57 AM
The "African-American" women, in my experience, are generally smarter, more devoted, and know how to "ride it like they stole it." Geez... I meant no racism, that's just a saying down here... and its oh so true...

NoHero
05-12-2010, 10:58 AM
The "African-American" women, in my experience, are generally smarter, more devoted, and know how to "ride it like they stole it." Geez... I meant no racism, that's just a saying down here for all races, usually meant for vehicles... and it's oh so true...

JosephTheLibertarian
05-12-2010, 10:58 AM
The "African-American" women, in my experience, are generally smarter, more devoted, and know how to "ride it like they stole it." Geez... I meant no racism, that's just a saying down here... and its oh so true...

more like an opinion :)

Linus
05-12-2010, 11:01 AM

I'd love to believe that this is true, but do you know of any real numbers on this? If the colleges are not ready to deal with the vets and the unique issues and viewpoints that they bring to the table, things can go awry pretty easy. I heard that Vietnam vets got pretty sweet college benefits, too, although I don't know for sure. Those days led to these days, so that must not have ameliorated things too much.

Matt Collins
05-12-2010, 11:06 AM
Sadly college is not about education as much as it is earning a degree. As the report said, degree holders are more resilient to unemployment.

ChaosControl
05-12-2010, 11:13 AM
Sadly college is not about education as much as it is earning a degree. As the report said, degree holders are more resilient to unemployment.

Indeed.

If education was all that mattered, I could have skipped college and just learned more doing self study. The traditional lecture method is not the best learning tool for everyone and it is time society realized that. Degrees are a bad measure of someone's knowledge and ability in a given field.

Galileo Galilei
05-12-2010, 11:23 AM
This is mostly due to the totally biased arrest rates against men. The entire justice system is rigged against men.

fatjohn
05-12-2010, 11:29 AM
what's wrong with working at mcdonalds? atleast they have a job

yeah but if they are engineers they would rebuild infrastructure after teotwawki :d

DeadheadForPaul
05-12-2010, 11:40 AM

Some are there for a Mrs. degree

DeadheadForPaul
05-12-2010, 11:41 AM
Indeed.

If education was all that mattered, I could have skipped college and just learned more doing self study. The traditional lecture method is not the best learning tool for everyone and it is time society realized that. Degrees are a bad measure of someone's knowledge and ability in a given field.

+1

I learn far more from independent study

I despise lectures

Brooklyn Red Leg
05-12-2010, 11:44 AM

The 4-year degree is obsolete and has been so for as long as there have been readily available books. Freshman & Sophomore education is simply High School 2.0 and should be jettisoned completely (in fact, 12th grade should itself be jettisoned, if not 11th as well). A college degree would be INFINITELY more useful and usable if you only studied your Major & Minor coursework. The SAT and GRE (especially the GRE) are worthless, pointless wastes of time that do nothing to advance someone and simply siphon off more resources that could be better spent elsewhere.

Brian4Liberty
05-12-2010, 11:58 AM
Women are replacing men in the workplace to a certain extent too. In my area, it is very common for a couple to have the woman working while the men are unemployed.

Perhaps it is partially due to the fact that the majority of immigrants brought in to do work are male, so American males are more often displaced. Of course there are other reasons in addition to that.

tangent4ronpaul
05-12-2010, 01:05 PM

Yeah - seems like 90% of the college girls I meet are eithor majoring in womans studies or psycology. Teo totaly worthless degrees.

-t

Bman
05-12-2010, 01:09 PM
The college I attended was 7 girls for every 1 guy when I attended. It was pretty sweet!

RM918
05-12-2010, 01:12 PM
Boys are getting the shaft as far as public education is concerned as early as elementary school because they apparently need Ritalin shoved down their throats when they can't sit still in class, also known as...being boys. There's been less and less male teachers over the years and while males still have the edge in standardized testing, they're lagging behind girls in just about every other area as methods become less interesting to boys and more suited to female students.

People in public education, however, don't care as they're more likely to cheer girls doing better and see no reason to do anything about it - I see it more as an alarming trend of boys doing WORSE.

eOs
05-12-2010, 01:14 PM
Indeed.

x++;

Natalie
05-12-2010, 01:20 PM
Yeah - seems like 90% of the college girls I meet are eithor majoring in womans studies or psycology. Teo totaly worthless degrees.

-t

What the heck do you even do with a womens studies degree? It has to be the stupidest degree there is. I don't even understand what you would learn about in a women's studies class, considering men have ruled the world for all of history. I've never taken one so someone please enlighten me.

RM918
05-12-2010, 01:22 PM
What the heck do you even do with a womens studies degree? It has to be the stupidest degree there is. I don't even understand what you would learn about in a women's studies class, considering men have ruled the world for all of history. I've never taken one so someone please enlighten me.

You teach women's studies classes!

Krugerrand
05-12-2010, 01:25 PM
Boys are getting the shaft as far as public education is concerned as early as elementary school because they apparently need Ritalin shoved down their throats when they can't sit still in class, also known as...being boys. There's been less and less male teachers over the years and while males still have the edge in standardized testing, they're lagging behind girls in just about every other area as methods become less interesting to boys and more suited to female students.

People in public education, however, don't care as they're more likely to cheer girls doing better and see no reason to do anything about it - I see it more as an alarming trend of boys doing WORSE.

So very true.

Matt Collins
05-12-2010, 01:30 PM
The college I attended was 7 girls for every 1 guy when I attended. It was pretty sweet!
Which college was this? I might be interested ;):p:D

What the heck do you even do with a womens studies degree? You study women!

(The Collins and Natalie in NOLA)

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x93/sonicspikesalbum/Goofing%20off/CIMG0134e.jpg

low preference guy
05-12-2010, 01:31 PM

I haven't taken them but I met women who did. They basically hate men and have no sense of humor. I might be incorrect, but I think they teach them that just by being a man, one has certain unearned privileges and it's one's obligation to do things to level the field for women.

Elwar
05-12-2010, 01:50 PM

You take that class if you want to meet women.

(As long as you can act like you too hate men and think women should rule the world)

Great way for an easy hook up.

Oh, and don't forget to say that men are sexist pigs. :P

RM918
05-12-2010, 01:54 PM
You take that class if you want to meet women.

(As long as you can act like you too hate men and think women should rule the world)

Great way for an easy hook up.

Oh, and don't forget to say that men are sexist pigs. :P

There must be easier ways to meet women than to pay out of the ass for a completely useless class that will focus entirely on how evil you and your genitalia are.

low preference guy
05-12-2010, 01:57 PM
There must be easier ways to meet women than to pay out of the ass for a completely useless class that will focus entirely on how evil you and your genitalia are.

I think he is being facetious. And you probably don't want to meet that kind of women. Ironically, they're not really feminine and act a lot like aggressive men.

Natalie
05-12-2010, 01:59 PM
They basically hate men and have no sense of humor.

So they would not enjoy the joke my brother told me: "Why do women wear high heals? So they can reach high cupboards!" My brother also told me once that he doesn't like tan girls, because that means they've gone out of the kitchen. Lolz :p

dannno
05-12-2010, 02:02 PM

Wow, i actually didn't know much about it myself and this is from the school I attended... looks like a bunch of NWO garbage...

(and no, the word "Develoment" is not actually a word)

Undergraduate Course Descriptions
Lower Division Courses

20. Women, Society, and Culture
(4) Boris, Oaks, Rupp
Not open for credit to students who have completed Women’s Studies 20H.
Introduction to central concepts and issues in women’s studies from the perspective of the social sciences. Explores the construction of gender and sexuality and the lives of diverse groups of women in the contemporary U.S. within a global context.

20H. Women, Society, and Culture Honors
(5) Boris, Oaks, Rupp, Williams
Prerequisite: consent of instructor.
Not open for credit to students who have completed Women’s Studies 20.
Lecture is concurrent with Women’s Studies 20, along with a weekly honors seminar, requiring additional assignments and intensive discussion of the readings. Intended for highly motivated and well prepared students.

30. Women, Develoment and Globalization
(4) Chang, Hernández
Not open for credit to students who have completed Women’s Studies 30H.
Examines the impact of development, policy, and globalization on women’s lives. Emphasis is placed on women’s activism and feminist critiques of neo-liberal measures intended to rid the third world of poverty.

30H. Women, Develoment and Globalization Honors
(5) Chang, Hernández
Not open for credit to students who have completed Women’s Studies 30.
Lecture is concurrent with Women’s Studies 30, along with a weekly honors seminar, requiring additional assignments and intensive discussion of the readings. Intended for highly motivated and well prepared students.

40. Women, Representation, and Cultural Production
(4) Bobo, Hernández, Oaks
Not open for credit to students who have completed Women’s Studies 40H.
This introductory course examines cultural representations of diverse women’s lives from a humanities perspective. The focus is on women as cultural producers, subjects, and critics in literature, film, the visual arts, and music.

40H. Women, Representation, and Cultural Production Honors
(5) Bobo, Hernández, Oaks
Not open for credit to students who have completed Women’s Studies 40.
Lecture is concurrent with Women’s Studies 40, along with a weekly honors seminar, requiring additional assignments and intensive discussion of the readings. Intended for highly motivated and well prepared students.

50. Global Feminisms and Social Justice
(4) Chang, Oaks, Boris
Repeat Comments: Not open for credit to students who have completed Women’s Studies 50H.
Historical and contemporary examination of women’s activism around the globe in a variety of struggles, including self-named feminist movements and other movements for social justice.

50H. Global Feminisms and Social Justice Honors
(5) Boris, Chang, Oaks
Not open for credit to students who have completed Women’s Studies 50.
Lecture is concurrent with Women’s Studies 50, along with a weekly honors seminar, requiring additional assignments and intensive discussion of the readings. Intended for highly motivated and well prepared students.

60. Women of Color: Race, Class, and Ethnicity
(4) Chang, Miller-Young
Repeat Comments: Not open for credit to students who have completed Women’s Studies 60H.
Examination of the interlocking dynamics and politics of gender, race, sexuality, class, and culture in the experience of U.S. women of color. Readings focus on oppositional consciousness and resistance to oppression in the scholarship and literature by women of color.

60H. Women of Color: Race, Class, and Ethnicity Honors
(5) Chang, Miller-Young
Not open for credit to students who have completed Women’s Studies 60.
Lecture is concurrent with Women’s Studies 60, along with a weekly honors seminar, requiring additional assignments and intensive discussion of the readings. Intended for highly motivated and well prepared students.

80. Introduction to LGBTQ Studies
(4) Hernández
Not open for credit to students who have completed Women’s Studies 80H.
Examines LGBTQ studies from an interdisciplinary perspective. Along with historical, social, cultural, political, artistic, and literary rise to prominence of sexual minorities, the goal of the course is to integrate a discussion of the continuum of LGBTQ identities within their respective social contexts and communities.

80H. Introduction to LGBTQ Studies Honors
(5) Hernández
Not open for credit to students who have completed Women’s Studies 80.
Lecture is concurrent with Women’s Studies 80, along with a weekly honors seminar, requiring additional assignments and intensive discussion of the readings. Intended for highly motivated and well prepared students.

99. Independent Studies
(1-4) Staff
Prerequisites: Women’s Studies 20 or 40; consent of instructor and department.
Students must have a minimum 3.0 cumulative grade-point average. May be repeated for credit to a maximum of 8 units. Students are limited to 5 units per quarter and 30 units total in all 98/99/198/199/199AA-ZZ course combined. No unit credit allowed toward the major.
Research under the direction of a faculty member. Students are offered an opportunity to conduct independent or collaborative research or to act as interns for faculty-directed research projects.

http://www.womst.ucsb.edu/ug_course_descriptions.html

Vessol
05-12-2010, 02:08 PM
Being white and a male in a United States is probably the worst position to be in.

low preference guy
05-12-2010, 02:09 PM
I followed Danno's idea and googled course descriptions. Look at this gem:

English 160: Environmental Justice & U.S. Literature (Ammons)
Block: D+ TTh 10:30-11:45
1% of the U.S. population owns 38% of the nation's wealth. The U.S. consumes over 40% of the world's gasoline and more paper, steel, aluminum, energy, water, and meat per capita than any other society. Four additional planets would be needed if each of the Earth's inhabitants consumed at the level of the average American. We will study how contemporary U.S. literature contributes to the environmental justice movement, examining writers' treatment of environmental racism [??????], global warming, ecofeminism, homophobia and the social construction of nature, U.S. environmental imperialism, and urban ecological concerns. What analyses and insights can we gain? What is the role of art in the struggle for social change? Our study will be multicultural; and an anti-racist analytical framework will be central. Also we will view several videos, discuss selected essays in environmental justice theory. The goal of this course is empowerment for social change. How can each of us participate as a change agent in the struggle for environmental justice, locally and globally? How can our understanding of literature contribute? Group work, a field trip, one research paper, and active class discussion will be important parts of the course. Nonmajors as well as majors are welcome. This course counts toward the Women's Studies major and the post-1860 requirement for the English major.

That's where student loans money is going.

Natalie
05-12-2010, 02:14 PM
I followed Danno's idea and googled course descriptions. Look at this gem:

That's where the student loans money is going.

I'd never heard of Ecofeminism before. According to wikipedia, Ecofeminism is a social and political movement which points to the existence of considerable common ground between environmentalism and feminism.

So they combine two crappy liberal propaganda subjects into one. *Facepalm*

Vessol
05-12-2010, 02:15 PM
Man I've always been really dubious over that "omg America uses 40% of the worlds resources" shit.

low preference guy
05-12-2010, 02:16 PM
If one is going to take that kinda crap in college... better not go!

silentshout
05-12-2010, 02:26 PM
As for guys vs, girls, maybe it also has to do with the fact that more men than women go into the trades, therefore not needing to go to college? I wish more people realized that trades are just as good if not better than a college degree for many people.

Vessol
05-12-2010, 02:38 PM
As for guys vs, girls, maybe it also has to do with the fact that more men than women go into the trades, therefore not needing to go to college? I wish more people realized that trades are just as good if not better than a college degree for many people.

No! You are only successful in life if you go to college! There is no other way to be successful! I want to be successful! This is all they told me in High School! Why would they lie to me!?

Danke
05-12-2010, 03:33 PM
What a waste of money. They should be saving up for their dowry.

Matt Collins
05-12-2010, 03:58 PM
What a waste of money. They should be saving up for their dowry.
You actually made me look up a new word today.

dannno
05-12-2010, 04:10 PM
You actually made me look up a new word today.

I wonder if any of the womenz here have been saving up a dowry for The Collins :confused:

tangent4ronpaul
05-12-2010, 04:22 PM

hating men, progressiveism/socialism, political correctness on stearoids, how being a lesbian is cool, social justice (re-sidtribution of wealth), how opressed minorities, gays and transectuals are cool... that kind of stuff.

I've just talked to women that have that as a major or taken a class to fill their core requirements. Never taken it myself.

-t

amy31416
05-12-2010, 04:22 PM
I wonder if any of the womenz here have been saving up a dowry for The Collins :confused:

I'll look under my car seats for something to donate to the lucky lady.

nate895
05-12-2010, 04:26 PM
I hate whenever another girl in the group I hang out with over at school takes a Women's Studies class. They act like it's their time of the month for the entire quarter.

NoHero
05-12-2010, 04:28 PM
Wow, Natalie is hot. Not as hot as Matt Collins though. "Waiting for the time to come in reverie. Our lazy bones ache for our dowry." Dowry is a really cool word.

MelissaWV
05-12-2010, 04:30 PM
Alas, I will donate to the lucky virgin, but it shan't be me.

Matt Collins
05-12-2010, 04:30 PM
Wow, Natalie is hot. Not as hot as Matt Collins though. :eek::eek::eek: Don't tell Josh that! :D

Vessol
05-12-2010, 04:31 PM

the mating ritual of The Collins is one of belly dancing and slapping, known to draw many a female in

Matt Collins
05-16-2010, 11:12 PM
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=244559

james1906
05-16-2010, 11:21 PM
What the heck do you even do with a womens studies degree?

Bake and vacuum.