PDA

View Full Version : RE: Those worried about the invasive census...

Reason
05-12-2010, 01:48 AM
I have confirmed through multiple census workers that if you only answer the number of people that live at the address that this will indeed be counted for vote/representation.

(There was fear that an incomplete response would be tossed out)

So there is no need to worry about balancing congressional representation numbers with privacy.

Just say how many people live there and politely explain that the constitution does not permit any other questions.

silverhandorder
05-12-2010, 07:21 AM
My friend told me that if there is any complaint about the census worker they are in deep shit. They can no longer get a federal job and get tossed out of the census job right away. I bet this could be used as leverage.

Kludge
05-12-2010, 07:23 AM
My friend told me that if there is any complaint about the census worker they are in deep shit. They can no longer get a federal job and get tossed out of the census job right away. I bet this could be used as leverage.

Wow.

Bern
05-12-2010, 07:29 AM
Watch your cornholes people:
A man was killed and his family members beaten after three suspects barged into a north Houston home Saturday afternoon, police said.

Investigators said one of the suspects pretended to be a census worker to gain entry into the house, located in the 400 block of Truman.

Family members said the victim’s son opened the door for the suspects, believing they were with the census.

Larry Johnson Jr., the nephew of the victim, said the suspects tied up and beat his cousin and aunt after barging into to the home.

Johnson said his uncle, Reginald "Pete" Haynes, walked in on the crime and was ambushed.

"They tied him up and stabbed him and tried to submerge him in water," Johnson said.

Haynes later died at the hospital.

Family members said the men ransacked the house for two hours.

"They were looking for money and my aunt gave them everything that they had and it wasn’t enough for them," Johnson said.

Neighbor Randell Harmon said he even watched the suspects leave after the crime and had no idea what had happened.

"I saw three gentlemen walk out and I didn’t think anything of it," Harmon said. "They didn’t look at me. They got in the truck and they left."

The incident left people in the community fearful about who might come knocking at their door.

"They’ve taken something precious from us," Johnson said. "They really have."

Neighbors said census-takers started working their street weeks ago.

According to HPD, the suspect who claimed to be a census worker showed no ID badge. Investigators said they don’t have a good description of any of the suspects.

http://www.khou.com/news/local/Fake-census-worker-invades-home-kills-owner-93242534.html

NoHero
05-12-2010, 08:07 AM
Yeah, my mother, who had been worried about the census, said a census-taker came by last week and just asked how many people live at her home. My mom was just like, "really?! That's all you need to know? Because, that's all I planned on giving you." The census lady (who lives on the street over, and knows mom pretty well) said, "Oh, sure, that's all we're really required to get because of all the 'anti-government' people this year. The only reason there would be a problem is if the number is wrong, then we have to come back." I was shocked at my mother's description of the discourse.

Krugerrand
05-12-2010, 08:13 AM
Yeah, my mother, who had been worried about the census, said a census-taker came by last week and just asked how many people live at her home. My mom was just like, "really?! That's all you need to know? Because, that's all I planned on giving you." The census lady (who lives on the street over, and knows mom pretty well) said, "Oh, sure, that's all we're really required to get because of all the 'anti-government' people this year. The only reason there would be a problem is if the number is wrong, then we have to come back." I was shocked at my mother's description of the discourse.

How would they know if the number is wrong? If they already know the answer, why are they wasting the time and money? If they do not know the answer, they do not know it's wrong.

NoHero
05-12-2010, 08:26 AM
How would they know if the number is wrong? If they already know the answer, why are they wasting the time and money? If they do not know the answer, they do not know it's wrong.

That's what I am thinking, but I already experienced census workers going around last year just asking the number of residents at each home. I thought about that when the news was saying 50% or whatever, have sent back their forms so far... They had to get that figure from somewhere... so, I figure they already know.

I told my mom she just should have given her race as well. Since she is almost full-blood Native American, and I have a feeling they are already under-represented because of distrust of government.

CUnknown
05-12-2010, 10:50 AM

They do a spot-check re-interview, and if an enumerator is found to be consistently off, they would be in trouble. I'm working for the census now.

Yes, if you want to refuse the census, please at least give the number of people that live in your house so you will be counted for representation purposes. The rest of it is unimportant, and nothing will happen to you if you refuse. They will probably come back to bother you two more times though, but there is a max of 3 personal visits.

Anti Federalist
03-15-2020, 01:58 AM
blimp