PDA

View Full Version : Was This Rude Or Obnoxious Of Us?

reduen
10-11-2007, 12:37 PM
I brought this up briefly in another thread but I thought that I would try to get a general consensus on this.

At the Ames Iowa Straw Poll, many of us Ron Paul supporters and Mr. Paul himself grabbed up some huge Ron Paul signs and a bullhorn and marched around and through the college campus and all of the other candidates camps shouting and cheering our support for Ron Paul.

At first, I was pretty uneasy about participating because it seemed to me to be a little obnoxious to say the least but then I guess I got caught up in the moment and went along anyway.

Was this wrong of us? If so, why?

P.S.

I should note here that after doing this a couple of times, my son and I both had supporters from three of the other candidates come to us to tell us that they were really for our man also and took literature from us... :)

IowaSupport
10-11-2007, 12:38 PM
Quite a few people spun it as obnoxious - but I was there as well and talked to about 10 people from other camps about it - most had possitive things to say about our enthusiasm.

Shink
10-11-2007, 12:39 PM
NO.

kylejack
10-11-2007, 12:41 PM
Many news reports reported that the Ron Paul supporters were the loudest and most obnoxious. Its tough to say whether it helps us. I see good and bad.

quickmike
10-11-2007, 12:44 PM
When you have no MSM attention its a good thing because any attention is good. Now Ron is "starting" to get the attention he deserves and its not really as neccessary. I still wouldnt say its obnoxious though. After all, its campaign season.

ghemminger
10-11-2007, 12:44 PM
I thought it was great - but I can understand the press coverage - Is there any way that we can focus that energy on UNDECIDE voters - it porbably does us ZERO good chanting for the McRompson Giuliani crowd!

BLS
10-11-2007, 12:45 PM
I was there.....were we loud...hell yes.
Obnoxious....maybe...but I don't care.

Nobody else had that kind of support, and we let it all hang out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emEF0ZPs1wc

Santana28
10-11-2007, 12:45 PM
i was there marching right alongside you...

actually, what i thought was rather rude was having golfcarts full of 12 year olds running around heckling anyone with a Ron Paul shirt on. I got so many nasty comments from kids that weren't even old enough to vote, it was ridiculous. Just because they had a "VIP" neck tag, they thought they were hot sh*t. oh yeah - and it wasn't very polite of the other camps to refuse water to people wearing ron paul shirts or carrying ron paul signs. OUR volunteers were out handing bottles of water for free to anyone who wanted one - no strings attached.

The only thing i thought could have been handled better was when we finished the march and we were standing in front of the entryway to the colliseum. i know there was a pathway through but it certainly would be an intimidating pathway for anyone who came to vote for someone else. I think we should have kept that to the sidewalk, but oh well. Its said and done, and one for the history books ;)

Oh yeah - and chanting "Ron Paul" for 45 minutes straight inside was just incredible. I'll never forget it.

UtahApocalypse
10-11-2007, 12:47 PM
I look at it this way:

We have the most passion, the most energy, the most feeling behind our support of Ron Paul

ghemminger
10-11-2007, 12:48 PM
i was there marching right alongside you...

actually, what i thought was rather rude was having golfcarts full of 12 year olds running around heckling anyone with a Ron Paul shirt on. I got so many nasty comments from kids that weren't even old enough to vote, it was ridiculous. Just because they had a "VIP" neck tag, they thought they were hot sh*t. oh yeah - and it wasn't very polite of the other camps to refuse water to people wearing ron paul shirts or carrying ron paul signs. OUR volunteers were out handing bottles of water for free to anyone who wanted one - no strings attached.

The only thing i thought could have been handled better was when we finished the march and we were standing in front of the entryway to the colliseum. i know there was a pathway through but it certainly would be an intimidating pathway for anyone who came to vote for someone else. I think we should have kept that to the sidewalk, but oh well. Its said and done, and one for the history books ;)

Oh yeah - and chanting "Ron Paul" for 45 minutes straight inside was just incredible. I'll never forget it.

I like what they have done with other staw polls - kinda of like block the entrance - and not let anyone get by without a Ron Paul introduction

ARealConservative
10-11-2007, 12:53 PM
There was nothing obnoxious about us marching around the stadium chanting.

Anybody that claimed we were being obnoxious were just trying to score political points - which IS obnoxious.

Mortikhi
10-11-2007, 12:54 PM
I brought this up briefly in another thread but I thought that I would try to get a general consensus on this.

At the Ames Iowa Straw Poll, many of us Ron Paul supporters and Mr. Paul himself grabbed up some huge Ron Paul signs and a bullhorn and marched around and through the college campus and all of the other candidates camps shouting and cheering our support for Ron Paul.

At first, I was pretty uneasy about participating because it seemed to me to be a little obnoxious to say the least but then I guess I got caught up in the moment and went along anyway.

Was this wrong of us? If so, why?

P.S.

I should note here that after doing this a couple of times, my son and I both had supporters from three of the other candidates come to us to tell us that they were really for our man also and took literature from us... :)

You can't be heard if you're silent.

Ron Paul Fan
10-11-2007, 01:01 PM
I don't think it was rude or obnoxious and it doesn't really matter. The straw poll took place in August. This just in: It's October. It's time to moveon.org There's nothing wrong with people marching and chanting. Showing enthusiasm for a candidate should be commended, not criticized. This talk about it being obnoxious completely baffles me. I'll tell you what's obnoxious is one candidate laughing while another fellow candidate is speaking to try and discredit them. If you want to blame someone for being rude and obnoxious blame them, not us! We're not responsible! Freedom is popular. When the bow breaks the cradle will fall!

Kregener
10-11-2007, 01:03 PM
If it was obnoxious, then a homosexual street parade is physical assault.

;)

runderwo
10-11-2007, 01:04 PM
Sounds like a FOX news headline:

Ron Paul Supporters: Rude, or Obnoxious?

speciallyblend
10-11-2007, 01:10 PM
Its called jealousy.The other camps aka romney/rudolf and others cant even pay people to chant for them,so i call it jealousy.It Was A GOODTHING ,so no worries

Revolution9
10-11-2007, 01:14 PM
If it was obnoxious, then a homosexual street parade is physical assault.

;)

Hahaha!:D and a fire and brimstone sinnicastering street preacher is attempted murder:eek:

Best
Randy

Flirple
10-11-2007, 01:42 PM
When you have no MSM attention its a good thing because any attention is good. Now Ron is "starting" to get the attention he deserves and its not really as necessary. I still wouldnt say its obnoxious though. After all, its campaign season.

I pretty much agree with the above post. From my viewing of the YouTube clips of Iowa I thought it was both cool as hell and yes rather obnoxious. But the squeaky wheel gets the oil right? If we sit on our hands we get ignored. If we patiently articulate monetary inflation and the Gold standard to people the stare blankly. So I think there is value in simply being the loudest. But now that we are getting closer to the primaries and Ron is a little better known we should know where to draw the line. I think that if you are scaring children you have gone to far.

Cindy
10-11-2007, 02:20 PM
Not at all. That's the sort of enthusiasm you would expect to see around a college campus, especially during a big state straw poll event.

Further, I'd rather read a report about Pauls supporters being loud and obnoxious, then, not one at all , or one that says, Paul has no supporters, or Pauls supporters caught falling asleep and yawning during his speech.

It's A LOT less obnoxious then what the founding fathers and their supporters did, openning gun and cannon fire on the British and all.:rolleyes:

d_goddard
10-11-2007, 02:45 PM
IMO, the use of voice amplification (bullhorns, PA systems) is what crosses the line into "obnoxious".