PDA

View Full Version : Letter of mine printed in USA Today

Brian Defferding
05-11-2010, 03:32 PM
http://www.usatoday.com/printedition/news/20100511/letters11_st.art.htm

They edited some stuff out. This was what I actually wrote to them:

Dear Editor,

I want to thank Bob and Cal for addressing the desperate need to start cutting government's size down in Thursday's edition of The Forum. Our government, simply put, spends too much. This debt our government has reached is an unfortunate result of the Keynesian economic theory that deficit spending on certain areas of the economy would result in some sort of economic boost. Rather, it is doing the opposite, with the result of a central bank that is over-lending and over-monetizing to cover our financial insolvency, and an economy that is way too dangerously dependent on that insolvent system.

All the programs and subsidies Congress claims to help us, or sanctions and wars our President claims to fight for is just propping us up on a house of cards. Perhaps it would be best for them not to gamble our future away enabling everyone on such dangerous dependency, and allow us to start finding ways to recover on our own. This requires a sea change in our attitude towards personal and economic libertarian causes, something I staunchly support in hopes our economy can grow soundly and independently - not at the hands of central bankers or our elected officials, but through the grand voluntary means of exchange of citizens helping out others and helping themselves. Something some have called the free market.

Thank you,

Brian Defferding

Note they edited out "Keynesian" in the printed version. Nice.

JoshLowry
05-11-2010, 03:35 PM
Nice job. :)

IPSecure
05-11-2010, 03:39 PM
So, they edit letters to the editor?

How Fascist of them!

BTW:http://www.ronpaulforums.com/gfx_RedWhiteBlue/icons/icon14.gif

Brian Defferding
05-11-2010, 03:44 PM
So, they edit letters to the editor?

How Fascist of them!

Ha :p

And thanks Josh!

johnrocks
05-11-2010, 03:51 PM
Nice job!

Bruno
05-11-2010, 04:55 PM
http://www.usatoday.com/printedition/news/20100511/letters11_st.art.htm

They edited some stuff out. This was what I actually wrote to them:

Note they edited out "Keynesian" in the printed version. Nice.

Great letter, Brian! I can't believe (yes I can) that they actually edited out "Keynesian". Have you considered asking for a justification?

Stary Hickory
05-11-2010, 08:57 PM
Great letter, Brian! I can't believe (yes I can) that they actually edited out "Keynesian". Have you considered asking for a justification?

Readers are too stupid to know what it means more than likely. I imagine the editors had to look it up or ask some people what the hell it meant. And they decided if they had issues with it that there readers would too.

Bruno
05-11-2010, 09:05 PM
Readers are too stupid to know what it means more than likely. I imagine the editors had to look it up or ask some people what the hell it meant. And they decided if they had issues with it that there readers would too.

You certainly could be right.

Either way, the editor decided to dumb us down. Either intentionally with malice to keep us uneducated so we wouldn't question the economic theory we are enslaved to, or intentionally so their already uneducated public wouldn't have to think too hard.

Feelgood
05-11-2010, 11:13 PM

So USA Today doesnt know how to use Google? :D

Knightskye
05-12-2010, 02:08 AM
Congratulations.

Brian Defferding
05-12-2010, 09:02 AM
Thanks guys! :)

Yeah, I have a feeling they probably thought readers would not know what the term "Keynesian" is. As much as he's our number one enemy in the great economics debate, the public as a whole are not as up to speed as we are on the lingo. Oh well, they kept the overall message of the letter so I can't complain too much.

Imperial
05-12-2010, 03:10 PM
They also edited out any mention of sanctions. USA Today has never been the most academic newspaper around...

paulaholic
05-16-2010, 05:58 PM
Great letter! I find it ironic that the letter printed below yours is from yet another idiot who does not understand the difference between "the Department of Education" and "public schools".

Cowlesy
05-16-2010, 06:01 PM
Wow, very nice -- congratulations!