PDA

View Full Version : Anybody else notice how most popular ammo is out of stock everywhere?

the count
05-11-2010, 02:15 PM
So anybody else try to get their hands on some of the really cheap or really powerful ammo lately? good luck. most of the stuff is OUT OF STOCK EVERYWHERE! i talked to a midway usa rep the other day. asked if the run on ammo started when the economy crisis started and he said no, it started when obama was elected.

anyway, if i had invested my money in ammo a year ago i could have made a pretty penny since a lot of stuff has gone up at least 30% as far as i can tell. and since demand is high and supply is low many gun shops are now gouging us for what its worth.

as i have 9mm and 22's my experience has been virtually ZILCH on 50 rounds of 9mm under $10 and very hard to find 22 LR in boxes of 525 under $20. as for high powered 22's like CCI mini mag, remington yellow jacket/viper... gone....

anybody know how much prices have in creased in 1/2/5 years? better investment than the stock market? :-)

jclay2
05-11-2010, 03:28 PM
I saw a box of 550 22 lr for about 20 dollars at walmart. The only problem is that you can only get 6 at a time.

Kelly.
05-11-2010, 03:49 PM
guns/ammo prices always go up with a democrat is in office.

i have a friend that has been buying during GOP years and reselling during democrat years for awhile now and making a decent amount doing it. ;)

tmosley
05-11-2010, 03:50 PM
Yup, there was 0 zip nada .22 ammo available anywhere in Lubbock (or apparently anywhere else in Texas, according to my father and uncle, who were looking desperately). It is only in the last couple of months that I have been able to pick it up. I got three boxes. I'll probably get another box a month or so until I have 10. I haven't been buying any other ammo, as I was given a nice stockpile from my Dad a few years ago (stuff he had loaded 20 years ago).

I need to pick up a new 9mm, and maybe one of the cz 50's I saw over in the Bearing Arms forum (which is where this thread should be, BTW).

the count
05-11-2010, 04:48 PM
I need to pick up a new 9mm, and maybe one of the cz 50's I saw over in the Bearing Arms forum (which is where this thread should be, BTW).

be sure to check out the new gen 4 glocks. if you shop around you can get a new one for about 520-550. considering what a great gun that is its a fair price. but then again, some love glocks, some hate them. going over to a walmart now that has a couple boxes of 9mm federal for 19.50 for 50! thats gotta be the best price anywhere.

@tmosley> for how long does ammo keep?

UPDATE: got back from walmart and was able to get 6 boxes of those federal 9mm/50 rounds. the remaining 5 or so boxes would be gone by the morning the salesman said. they only get 6 cases (not sure how many boxes in a case) every 2 months (if i understood correctly). . that seems to be very little for a supercenter in raleigh, nc.

tmosley
05-11-2010, 04:55 PM
be sure to check out the new gen 4 glocks. if you shop around you can get a new one for about 520-550. considering what a great gun that is its a fair price. but then again, some love glocks, some hate them. going over to a walmart now that has a couple boxes of 9mm federal for 19.50 for 50! thats gotta be the best price anywhere.

@tmosley> for how long does ammo keep?

I prefer a Ruger for a 9mm. They have always shot better for me.

If it is stored properly, ammo should keep forever (with forever being 50+ years). If it is stored kept in a garage subject to heat fluctuations or freezing temperatures, it would probably be good for 5-10 years.

Mine is and was stored properly.

Mani
05-11-2010, 08:25 PM
I have a friend who is building a small ammo factory/shop next to a gun range nearby where he lives.

He's a big gun guy and he's been watching this trend for some time now, and now he's doing something about it.

He's a BIG Ron Paul supporter, he did a lot of volunteer work with me during the '08 campaign.

He's got an IT background, so once he's up and running he's going to supply online as well.

Hope you don't mind the plug, but I saw the topic and remembered my RP friend mentioned this issue and I was inspired by his plan to take action and move past his corporate job.

http://floridaammunition.com/

torchbearer
05-11-2010, 08:27 PM
I have a friend who is building a small ammo factory/shop next to a gun range nearby where he lives.

He's a big gun guy and he's been watching this trend for some time now, and now he's doing something about it.

He's a BIG Ron Paul supporter, he did a lot of volunteer work with me during the '08 campaign.

He's got an IT background, so once he's up and running he's going to supply online as well.

Hope you don't mind the plug, but I saw the topic and remembered my RP friend mentioned this issue and I was inspired by his plan to take action and move past his corporate job.

think he'd be willing to part with his business plan?
i'm curious as to how much capital it would require to make such a business.

the count
05-12-2010, 06:23 AM
guns/ammo prices always go up with a democrat is in office.

i have a friend that has been buying during GOP years and reselling during democrat years for awhile now and making a decent amount doing it. ;)

hi, could you call your fiend and ask for a couple specific examples? would be great. at my fund we are always looking for any kind of interesting economic indicator. ammo would be a first.

if he could provide a couple examples of the most popular ammo like 22LR, 9MM, 7,62x39 over the years.... bush sr., clinton, bush jr., obama

thanks!!!

Legend1104
05-12-2010, 08:35 PM

Be careful, the goverment might arrest him, trump up false charges, take all of his stuff, and make him take meds.

Mani
05-13-2010, 11:06 PM
Be careful, the goverment might arrest him, trump up false charges, take all of his stuff, and make him take meds.

Why? He's doing everything by the book. He's applying for licenses, and permits, and has government inspectors and FDA or whatever inspectors and getting all the certifications etc.

Not sure if he'd be willing to part with his business plan, I'd feel awkward asking that but I know it wasn't an enormous amount like six figures or anything.