PDA

View Full Version : Question of changing parties

BillyDkid
10-11-2007, 12:11 PM
I sent in my application to join the GOP (shiver....) a while back. I don't have to re-register to vote or anything do I? Also, should I have heard something back from them? I don't know where I was, but there was that list of the requirements for each state (I live in NY) and there were two important dates apparently - the date to change parties and the date to register I think it was. If I am already a registered voter I don't need to do anything else in order to vote do I? Obviously, I will be very pissed if I don't get to vote. thanks, BDK

McDermit
10-11-2007, 12:14 PM
In PA, we just send in a new registration form that notes the change of parties.

Should be the same in other states, I think?

(And I read the thread title as "changing panties." Eek.)

Johnnybags
10-11-2007, 12:17 PM
I sent in my application to join the GOP (shiver....) a while back. I don't have to re-register to vote or anything do I? Also, should I have heard something back from them? I don't know where I was, but there was that list of the requirements for each state (I live in NY) and there were two important dates apparently - the date to change parties and the date to register I think it was. If I am already a registered voter I don't need to do anything else in order to vote do I? Obviously, I will be very pissed if I don't get to vote. thanks, BDK

If not call the registrar and confirm your status.

UtahApocalypse
10-11-2007, 12:23 PM

Maybe im reading this wrong...... but joining the GOP and Voter Registration are 2 completely different things. You MUST change your Voter Registration to Republican in any state with a closed primary. You do NOT have to join the GOP, or give them any money. I wont actually join the GOP unless they nominate Ron Paul, until then they don't get a dime.

michaelwise
10-11-2007, 12:34 PM
How much time do NH and NY residents have to register to vote, before the primary in there states? Is the cutoff date October 12, or is that just the cutoff date to switch party? It doesn't make sense to me that the date to register, and the date to switch party would be different.

BillyDkid
10-11-2007, 12:51 PM
Maybe im reading this wrong...... but joining the GOP and Voter Registration are 2 completely different things. You MUST change your Voter Registration to Republican in any state with a closed primary. You do NOT have to join the GOP, or give them any money. I wont actually join the GOP unless they nominate Ron Paul, until then they don't get a dime.I'm not actually sure what I did. I filled out the form someone in here directed me to and sent it in. I guess I have to call somebody. I thought, in a closed primary you had to be a member of the party to vote in that party's primary.

B964
10-11-2007, 01:14 PM
Call your county board or elections and ask to check your voter and party status. I just rechecked mine again to be sure because the new reg card still shows "blank" as party. The woman there told me that is has been changed to republican but will not be effective untill after this novembers local elections.

thehittgirl
10-11-2007, 01:20 PM
I got a voter registration form from the post office and filled it out as a change of party, and got a card back telling me of my party and polling place.

You have to be registered Republican only in order to vote for Ron in the primary in NY. I was an Independent.

jgmaynard
10-11-2007, 01:31 PM
How much time do NH and NY residents have to register to vote, before the primary in there states? Is the cutoff date October 12, or is that just the cutoff date to switch party? It doesn't make sense to me that the date to register, and the date to switch party would be different.

Alas, it may not make sense, but it WAS set up by government! LOL.

The Oct 12th date was ONLY for Dems switching to R or undeclared. If you have never voted in NH before, you can register at the polls. I recommend registering undeclared so you can vote in any primary in the future.

JM