PDA

View Full Version : Racial and ethnic minorities accounted for 83% of our population growth this decade

bobbyw24
05-11-2010, 08:54 AM
I have said it many times here--for this movement to grow and make an impact, we must reach out to minorities and bring them into it.

An impending national transformation

The United States is confronting significant demographic shifts that could have critical implications for policy and progress throughout this decade, according to new census data.

In a first-ever comprehensive study of America?'s large metropolitan areas, we have found that the United States is undergoing the most significant socio-demographic change since the huge wave of immigrants in the early 20th century

Failure to manage this change could have grave consequences for America's future quality of life. But success would allow us to use this demographic transformation as a competitive advantage for the 21st century.

Cities and large metropolitan areas are leading this transformation and may, in many ways, determine the path forward. America's 100 largest metropolitan areas already account for two-thirds of our population and generate 75 percent of our gross domestic product.

But we are growing rapidly. Our population exceeded 300 million in 2006, and we are on track to hit 350 million in the next 15 years.

What will America and its cities look like in 2025? Who will these 50 million new Americans be? Based on our new analysis, America will probably be older, more diverse, more urban — and less equal.

Racial and ethnic minorities accounted for 83 percent of our population growth this last decade. We are well on the way to becoming a majority-minority society.

America in 2025 may also be significantly older. The number of seniors and boomers already exceeded 100 million this past decade.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0510/36963.html

Pericles
05-11-2010, 09:11 AM
Population distribution is not symmetric. The trend will be accelerated in large cities and states with a shoreline. In Texas, whites make up 48% of the school population.

bobbyw24
05-11-2010, 09:12 AM
Population distribution is not symmetric. The trend will be accelerated in large cities and states with a shoreline. In Texas, whites make up 48% of the school population.

You are right--I see the same thing in Florida and D.C. Suburbs

catdd
05-11-2010, 09:14 AM
The biggest problem with this in my mind is that minorities still tend to have large families and we are running out of room and resources,

paulitics
05-11-2010, 09:16 AM
I just won't give up hope and think "whites" are the only ethnic group that desire liberty.
I believe the human soul desires to be free, but unfortunately the manipulators deceive minorites into thinking big government is the solution to their problems.

I think we can reach out to the minorites, but we need to bring the message to them. The neocon media does not do a good job. They are quite unwelcoming, which sets us back decades.

stu2002
05-11-2010, 09:18 AM
The biggest problem with this in my mind is that minorities still tend to have large families and we are running out of room and resources,

I know-right? Why don't these new arrivals go to Wyoming or Montana--places where there is plenty of space. Do they have good welfare programs there???

bobbyw24
05-11-2010, 09:19 AM
I just won't give up hope and think "whites" are the only ethnic group that desire liberty.
I believe the human soul desires to be free, but unfortunately the manipulators deceive minorites into thinking big government is the solution to their problems.

I think we can reach out to the minorites, but we need to bring the message to them. The neocon media does not do a good job. They are quite unwelcoming, which sets us back decades.

Exactly!

MelissaWV
05-11-2010, 09:21 AM
Another awesomely unappetizing thread in the making...

Imaginos
05-11-2010, 10:52 AM
I have said it many times here--for this movement to grow and make an impact, we must reach out to minorities and bring them into it.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0510/36963.html
I agree with your assessment.
By the way, I am an Asian and a hard core libertarian.
We need smart strategic coalition for the sake of liberty.
We need to learn how to work with principled progressive on certain issues as much as we do with principled conservative.
We (who support liberty and constitution) also need to learn how to gain more support from minority without compromising our principle.
Ron Paul did a very good job during presidential campaign.
When he was giving a speech to mainly black audience, he didn't say anything about
expanding welfare state or domestic aid. He was honest.
However, he said, since he'll pardon non-violent drug offenders from jail, it will benefit black community hugely and the audience applauded him big time.
We should not compromise our principle yet if there's somethinng in our camp that might benefit the other side, we should emphasize it.
Liberty has something for everyone and we have to be smart to find it and articulate it for our cause just like Ron Paul did with that Black audience.
We have to win by any means necessary (minus unethical practice).
The stake is just too high.

slothman
05-11-2010, 11:53 AM
I know-right? Why don't these new arrivals go to Wyoming or Montana--places where there is plenty of space. Do they have good welfare programs there???

Because they can't afford going to there.
You bus them there and give very minimal housing and they might agree.

Zippyjuan
05-11-2010, 12:05 PM
As the current population ages we will need more people. We will need them to take jobs as people retire and we will need them to help pay the social security payments. If you don't grow the population then you will have even fewer workers for each retired person. When Social Security was started there was something like twelve paying in for each one collecting. It is something like two or three right now and unless we have more immigration or other young population growth, it will get worse. Many countries in Europe plus Japan will be having serious crisies as their population ages and there are few children coming up behind them. Their populations will be declining along with their economic strength and social programs will be even more greatly challenged than ours.

There are two things you can do about changing demographics. The first is to complain about them. The second is to try to prepare for and deal with them. You cannot change them.

Pericles
05-11-2010, 01:19 PM
Japan makes a good model of what happens to a aging society that does not have immigration. The economy shifts - they are closing schools while expanding medical care.

libertarian4321
05-11-2010, 01:28 PM
I think immigration is generally a good thing- as long as we can filter out the bad ones (e.g. criminals, those who can't work, etc).

I really think we should expedite immigration of smart people- if an Indian/Chinese/Polish/Mexican/whatever Doctor, engineer, nurse, scientist, etc wants to come here, we should welcome them.

Also, we should continue to warmly greet foreign basketball players because the San Antonio Spurs are getting kind of old and need another young player from Argentina or France or wherever to give them a spark.