PDA

View Full Version : Jim DeMint Rise Upends GOP Order

bobbyw24
05-11-2010, 06:53 AM
WASHINGTON — Jim DeMint is becoming something of a tea party hero, even a potential conservative kingmaker, a status that is not making the freshman senator many friends among fellow Republicans in Congress.

A backbencher known for his eagerness to challenge the Republican establishment, DeMint is becoming one of the most influential voices of the conservative rebellion that's shaking up GOP primaries. Tapping an anti-incumbent fervor, the South Carolina lawmaker is a coveted – and feared – endorsement, funneling money and grass-roots energy to long-shot candidates who threaten Washington's GOP favorites.

His efforts, highly unusual for a freshman, have upset senators on Capitol Hill, where he's viewed by many as an ideologue willing to purge centrist veterans.

"I feel a sense of urgency that some of my colleagues don't," he said in an interview. "The Republican Party, at least a segment of it within Washington, has increasingly joined the big-government, big-spending, earmarking ranks."

DeMint, 58, has demonstrated an ability to read the conservative electorate. Twice in the past two years he's opposed leading Republicans only to see them abandon the party. His underdog picks in a handful of other races are waging surprisingly strong challenges to mainstream candidates viewed by party leaders as more electable.

His Senate Conservatives Fund so far has steered $622,911 to a half-dozen candidates, both through direct contributions and by bundling collections from its 200,000 members.

DeMint, who says he'd rather stand with a committed minority than a big-tent majority, insists he's not trying to pick fights. But his political radar often seems sharper than his diplomacy. His Conservatives Fund ranks sitting senators, for example, and gives Republican Leader Mitch McConnell of Kentucky a grade of 79 out of 100 – a "C" – while DeMint gets a perfect score.

Sen. John Cornyn, chairman of the Senate committee to get Republicans elected, said DeMint may be hurting the party's ability to regain power in Washington.

"My goal is simply to build our numbers so we can provide checks and balances to single-party power here in Washington," Cornyn said. "I think he has a different goal, which is to try to move the Republican conference in a more conservative direction. If that were possible and we were able to win elections all around the country I would be all for it, but I think as a pragmatic matter we've got to nominate Republicans who can get elected in their states."
___

Last week, DeMint broke with McConnell in the Republican leader's backyard to support tea party favorite Rand Paul in the Kentucky Senate primary. McConnell and other party leaders have backed GOP Secretary of State Trey Grayson. The primary is May 18.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/05/11/jim-demint-rise-upends-go_n_571250.html

Matt Collins
05-11-2010, 07:46 AM
While he is not perfect, better him than others.

Imaginos
05-11-2010, 08:17 AM
I'm against DeMint's foreign policy but he's still better than, say, Mitch McConnell or Lindsey Graham.

Stary Hickory
05-11-2010, 08:37 AM
I'm against DeMint's foreign policy but he's still better than, say, Mitch McConnell or Lindsey Graham.

Demint with out his Neocon foreign policy views would be a good politician. If there is a such thing. Ron Paul excluded. If the Neocons would abandon the wars and aggressive foreign polciy they would win many elections.