PDA

View Full Version : Facts won't help us win this battle

Fredom101
05-10-2010, 06:33 PM
I'm worried that facts don't really matter in this battle of ideas.

For example, I watched as Hannity said that "Ron Paul went off the deep end when he made the outrageous claim that the US somehow caused 9/11 by bombing the middle east in the 90's!"

He pointed out something that is a fact, and spun it like it's just some made up crazy thing coming out of the mouth of a senile mixed up old man.

Now, I think Hannity is completely sociopathic, but that doesn't matter- most Fox viewers likely agree with his moronic claims and slams against the message of liberty.

So, I'm afraid we cannot win this battle of facts. It's not just Hannity, it's most of the MSM. It's blatantly obvious that 9/11 was either caused by US military aggression in the middle east, or it was an inside job, yet, most TV watchers can't accept it this way.

What about other less obvious issues? The drug war in fact causes more crime and more drug use. But we can have RP or GJ up there presenting ALL the facts in the world about this, and some idiot MSM jockey will say "Oh so you WANT your kids to shoot heroin?" And the point is completely lost.

I think we need to strike the root and start emphasizing the morality of these issues.

Turn it around.

Say, "Sean, would you lock me up or have me shot for carrying a plant?"
or "Sean, would you shoot me if I didn't believe in the war you love and refused to pay for it?"

This is how we win, I think.

Akus
05-10-2010, 06:40 PM
I think we should stop reasoning with idiots and simply start voting Libertarian.

En masse.

Fredom101
05-10-2010, 06:53 PM
I think we stop reasoning with idiots and simply start voting Libertarian.

En masse.

Sure, but this means we still have to convince a huge mass of people to change their thinking....and my point is it won't happen simply by pointing out facts like why 9/11 happened, the drug war, or the federal reserve.
I'm not saying we stop talking about these important issues, but that we emphasize the immorality of statism itself, and get away from, like you said, reasoning with idiots.

muh_roads
05-10-2010, 08:08 PM
I've said it before and I'll say it again. All the rich libertarians need to pool their cash together and make their own cable tv news channel. fox business news doesn't defend the libertarian viewpoint on war enough.

24-7 cable news is king to the sheeple.

Fredom101
05-10-2010, 08:40 PM
I've said it before and I'll say it again. All the rich libertarians need to pool their cash together and make their own cable tv news channel. fox business news doesn't defend the libertarian viewpoint on war enough.

Yep, and plus, Fox News is associated with right wing nuttery, so we don't want to be mixed up with the neocons anyway.

Akus
05-10-2010, 11:33 PM

The question is: why haven't they?

Live_Free_Or_Die
05-11-2010, 12:12 AM
Geographical organization is the best hope for liberty in anyone's lifetime. Seeing is believing.

Libertarians can preach all day long but until direct citizen action is taken via geographical organization eliminating the heavy hand of coercion there will be no example for others to follow.

Until then the only example we will see is government continuing to pick the low hanging fruit of individual people who finally get to the point where they are fed up and say no more.

Bman
05-11-2010, 12:13 AM
Why bother. By the time you get the cable network up and running all the people who use TV for their primary source of information will be dead.

I think it's more of an advantage to look into radio than cable. All things said the next 20 years will be decided by whoever owns the internet.

JCF
05-11-2010, 12:20 AM
A fitting video :

YouTube - The Bomb in the Brain Part 4 - The Death of Reason - The Effects of Child Abuse (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S16EHfKRLfc&feature=PlayList&p=B3F2CF45EEB95C80&playnext_from=PL&playnext=1&index=3)

--

People don't care about facts, just talk to your average person about guns and you'll figure this out. Same goes with terrorism, you scare them enough and they'll believe anything you say. Marijuana, Gay "rights" etc...

eproxy100
05-11-2010, 12:21 AM
Why bother. By the time you get the cable network up and running all the people who use TV for their primary source of information will be dead.

I think it's more of an advantage to look into radio than cable. All things said the next 20 years will be decided by whoever owns the internet.

That's a good point regarding TV. But you still need camera men and reporters on the scenes to cover the news. Instead of airing it on TV it can be "aired" on the internet.

It sure is a problem though that people would rather follow emotions than logic. I guess the best solution is to make our messages more emotional without compromising the truth.

BlackTerrel
05-11-2010, 01:41 AM

The influence is overstated. Top show on FoxNews gets 3 million viewers. There are plenty of YouTube videos that get ten times that - for free. Not even considering that CNN and MSNBC get far fewer viewers.

If Lady Gaga can get 200 million views, no reason Ron Paul can't get 1% of that:

YouTube - Lady Gaga - Bad Romance (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrO4YZeyl0I)