PDA

View Full Version : Lifestyle changes...

robskicks
05-10-2010, 11:55 AM
What has been the biggest lifestyle change you have noticed in yourself since first hearing about Ron Paul?

RM918
05-10-2010, 11:55 AM
I don't really watch TV anymore. Net improvement.

hugolp
05-10-2010, 12:00 PM
I don't really watch TV anymore. Net improvement.

Me too. I dont follow mainstream media anymore.

Also, it will sound a bit corny but since its true Ill say it anyway, studying economics and the markets has made me realize how important and difficult is to produce the things that grant us the standar of living we enjoy, so I have become more humble and I respect more private property and personal initiative and freedom (I said it was corny, but it is true).

tangent4ronpaul
05-10-2010, 12:01 PM
When a campaign is active? 36 hour days, working till I drop from exhaustion. Forgetting to eat. Stuff like that...

-t

JamesButabi
05-10-2010, 12:11 PM
Definetely moral and philosophical studies that have made me a more complete person with a more grounded belief.

JCF
05-10-2010, 12:16 PM
Not much actually.

When I first got into politics all I watched was cable news, then when everything was said and done and I got into RP I stopped watching tv altogether. I'm not some intellectual that's too smart for TV since I still enjoy HBO tv series (I buy dvds) and I love mindless video games :D

---

I get along better with the people in my life, most of which are liberal and I can have a civil discussion when we talk about politics... I used to be a total social/neo-con :p

KramerDSP
05-10-2010, 12:34 PM
I live far within my means than I did before learning about Ron Paul. His quote of "Those that live beyond their means are destined to live beneath their means" really hit home, and I appreciated the fact that a politician was being blunt and direct with me.

JohnEngland
05-10-2010, 12:34 PM
I have a much greater appreciation of cheap, low-budget shops. Before, I sadly used to look down my nose at them. Now, I realise what a vital and invaluable contribution they make to raising the living standards of those with less money.

At the end of the day, the amount of money one has isn't all that important - it's wealth creation that is the key. Initial investment, technological innovation, mass production and free markets are how we end poverty. Not with government programmes.

Government just slows the process down. However, I would still argue that government is necessary for scientific research and development. I don't think we'd be where we are today if we didn't have governments initially flying into space and installing satellites.

Oh and I have a MUCH, MUCH greater appreciation of history and its importance to understanding the present and future. I never had an interest in the subject before. Then came along Ron Paul, Tom Woods etc. and now I'm always trying to learn. Self-education feels very rewarding - particularly when you're learning the truth.

TheBlackPeterSchiff
05-10-2010, 12:44 PM
TV Media. Before I was into the liberty movement, I used to watch O'Reilly, Hannity (sometimes), CNN on a regular basis.

Now the only time I click on TV media is if something is going on like a disaster or something.

I also find myself looking at problems I see on a daily basis and trying to think of ways to solve them without government.

Other than that, Im still the same.

fisharmor
05-10-2010, 12:59 PM
I know a lot of people, close family included, who have made quite a nice living for themselves and amassed many nice personal belongings in service of the state.
As a Republican, I excused this under the pretense that they were in the branch of the state's service which is involved in separating impoverished brown people from their limbs.

Now I am somewhat less tolerant of that aspect of statism.
The words "I don't care if I'm breeding with your daughter, you're f*$&ing wrong" haven't escaped my lips yet, but there were a couple close calls.

I also still belong (tenuously at this point) to a church which has its head in the sand (can't say my first guess for the location I was thinking of) over the wars, and it has gotten me thinking about where I need to end up.

I also still stay informed and I still vote, but I don't bother voting in a lot of elections.

In short, it has made me willing to burn bridges in order to make a stand.

Brian Defferding
05-10-2010, 01:40 PM
I've bought some silver, will probably buy some gold in the future. Other than that, not much, as I've been a Libertarian since I was old enough to vote.

silentshout
05-10-2010, 01:43 PM
Nothing,really, except I'm not so knee-jerk about Republicans. :) I used to think they were all neocons or the like.