PDA

View Full Version : British Prime Minister Gordon Brown To Resign

bobbyw24
05-10-2010, 11:05 AM
British Prime Minister Gordon Brown announced today that he will ask the Labour Party to organize a leadership election so that he can be replaced. Brown said that he had no intention of staying "in position longer than is needed" and plans to step down by autumn. However he plans to try to remain as prime minster until then if possible, the Guardian notes.

Brown also said that Nick Clegg, the leader of the Liberal Democrats, had told him of his interest in moving forward with formal talks with the Labour Party regarding forming a government.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/05/10/gordon-brown-to-resign-as_n_570189.html

JohnEngland
05-10-2010, 11:09 AM
I'd prefer it if the Labour Party resigned from politics.

Still looks like the Conservatives and Liberals will be forming a government, though we'll have to wait and see. It's kinda like waiting for the white smoke from the Vatican.

NewFederalist
05-10-2010, 11:55 AM
I am not so sure a Tory-Lib Dem coalition is a done deal. The Tories have said they will agree to an all party committee to study the electoral reform issue whereas Labour has flat out said they would agree to a referendum on the topic. For the Lib Dems this is a once in a generation opportunity to change the existing system to give them the number of seats in Commons that more closely reflects the votes they poll. The next day or two should be interesting.

nate895
05-10-2010, 12:01 PM
I am not so sure a Tory-Lib Dem coalition is a done deal. The Tories have said they will agree to an all party committee to study the electoral reform issue whereas Labour has flat out said they would agree to a referendum on the topic. For the Lib Dems this is a once in a generation opportunity to change the existing system to give them the number of seats in Commons that more closely reflects the votes they poll. The next day or two should be interesting.

The Lib Dems, though, might be committing electoral suicide if they prop up a Labour Government. I think it will ultimately be a Tory Minority Government that will lead to another election by middle of next year at the latest.

NewFederalist
05-11-2010, 09:12 AM
The Tories caved in regarding a referendum on electoral reform but only if PR is NOT part of the choice.