PDA

View Full Version : I wish I could bring a RP2008 website flaw to their attention

jj111
10-11-2007, 09:24 AM
I wish I could bring a RP2008 website flaw to their attention.

I find that there is a serious flaw in the RP2008 website. I wish I could bring it to the campaigns' attention, but I don't know how to get in contact with them.

Here is the flaw.

On the main page, there are 9 main categories in red on the top.

Six of these categories have drop down menus associated with them.

Now the problem as I see it is that one of these drop down menus, in particular, the drop down menu labelled "Get involved", has two drop down items ("Downloads" and "Grass Roots Guidelines") which have NOTHING to do with giving any information whatsoever about Meetup Groups or how to get involved in a Meetup Group.

This means that if someone wants to "Get Involved" and clicks this, he/she sees a drop down menu with two items, neither of which, if clicked, have even a word to say about the Meetup Groups.

This is a major flaw! People who want to get involved may completely miss any information about Meetup Groups.

Now there is a trick, and I know the trick, but I don't believe that most people who see this drop down menu will know the trick like I do.

The trick is to click on the Menu Heading ("Get Involved"). That will get you to the page which is most useful about getting involved. However, it is not common to have a drop down menu where you can click on the "heading". This information about Meetup Groups should have its own "item" (or "subheading") in the drop down menu, just like there is an item for "Downloads" and "Grass Roots Guidelines." In other words, they need to create an item in the menu that will get you to the page that describes Meetup Groups.

I think this is a serious design flaw on the website.

A similar problem exists in the "About Ron" category. If you put the cursor on "About Ron," you get a drop down menu of items. However, to get to the best page in that category, called "About Ron", you have to click on the heading itself - and again many people will not think of clicking on the heading when they see a drop down menu.

I recommend that they add an item in the drop down menu called "About Ron" so that more people will know that they can click on that link and go to that page.

Please let me know if anybody understands what I am saying, if anybody agrees that this is a web design flaw, and what if anything, we can do as supporters to alert the campaign about this to get this assessed and improved upon.

Thank you for your comments.

goldstandard
10-11-2007, 09:30 AM
...this IS a flaw. Especially for new supporters who want to get to the main page of this category and click on the first item in the dropdown menu. It is a minor change for them but important for newcomers to this website.

ConstitutionGal
10-11-2007, 09:34 AM
...this IS a flaw. Especially for new supporters who want to get to the main page of this category and click on the first item in the dropdown menu. It is a minor change for them but important for newcomers to this website.
Actually, it's not a big change programming wise. It will just require inserting a few additional lines of code into the JavaScript to add a link/subcategory under each heading. Shouldn't take a good programmer more than 15 or 20 minutes.

TexMac
10-11-2007, 09:39 AM
I sent your post to Justine Lam. I'll let you know if she answers me.

Question_Authority
10-11-2007, 09:41 AM
Just call them. I call and I always get an answer. 703-248-9115

yes, the top button should be accessible from a drop down button, instead of having to click on the main button, you are right AND they should include all of the networking sites on the Get Involved page. They are listed on the home page, but people need info handed to them on a silver platter on the web. You cannot rely on people to make the connection.

Good luck!

Chester Copperpot
10-11-2007, 09:45 AM
I dont think its a flaw people.. I think its a way for the campaign to show its non-involvement with the grassroots.

goldstandard
10-11-2007, 09:50 AM
I dont think its a flaw people.. I think its a way for the campaign to show its non-involvement with the grassroots.

But you have the same under 'About Ron' and you get the main article clicking on the menu header.

Thor
10-11-2007, 09:57 AM
A bigger flaw is on IE7, when you roll over the menu items and the sub menus appear, they do not go away when you roll off them all the time. Works fine in Firefox, but not IE7. And IE7 has a large user base.

http://www.gc1.net/images/rollovers.jpg

Mani
10-11-2007, 09:58 AM
Call them.

Once I noticed a website glitch a couple months ago, I called them and they took care of it.

TexMac
10-11-2007, 10:00 AM
Just call them. I call and I always get an answer. 703-248-9115

yes, the top button should be accessible from a drop down button, instead of having to click on the main button, you are right AND they should include all of the networking sites on the Get Involved page. They are listed on the home page, but people need info handed to them on a silver platter on the web. You cannot rely on people to make the connection.

Good luck!
No, stop, don't call. Justine knows about it and she's already asked the designers to fix it. She just sent them a reminder email.

jj111
10-11-2007, 10:02 AM
I called 20 minutes ago and they said they would alert the programmers to fix it. I think we can stop calling them.

goldstandard
10-11-2007, 10:06 AM
Best campaign staff ever!:)

UtahApocalypse
10-11-2007, 10:09 AM
A bigger flaw is on IE7, when you roll over the menu items and the sub menus appear, they do not go away when you roll off them all the time. Works fine in Firefox, but not IE7. And IE7 has a large user base.

http://www.gc1.net/images/rollovers.jpg

The problem there is people using IE7

Thor
10-11-2007, 10:13 AM
The problem there is people using IE7

Agreed, however, that is not the point here....

speciallyblend
10-11-2007, 10:37 AM
some programmers use macs and some ie,but both seem to think many only use one or the other.I'm sure its a slip on their part,but my wife works with both and she tells me alot of programmers only think in terms of mac or the opposite ie they dont think of making it cross browser.

Its amazing how some programmers not all,seem to ignore that you use either mac or ie or even both.This is a very common problem with web designers and programmers.

My wife worked with 2 companies ,one always mac and the other always ie,but both companies ignored the others when doing there websites and when i visit sites made by them ,there are always flaws. If only some would think for the greater masses and just make the sites cross browser friendly but ooo welll.

I'm sure they will fix,but it can easily be solved by testing for both mac and ie browsers.

Good catch on the drop downs;)

people use ie7 and macs ,so make a site friendly to them all,but there are some programmers and web designers who do think they know all,but they ignore alarge amount of users when their egos get in the way(NOTE NOT SAYING THIS ABOUT RONS SITE JUST SAYING ITS A COMMON PROBLEM IN THE INTERNET WORLD. I see companies charging 50-70,000 dollars for a website with macs but then it doesnt even work on ie7 this is what i call companies scamming people on websites looks great but doesnt work across browsers,thats when i say a company screwed a client. its kinda of laughable,and many customers dont even know they have a problem till months later after they paid the company sad but true in many markets,and these are the same people who have degrees sigh,as my lady says its a man world sometimes and they screw it up as usual;)

ON THAT NOTE RON PAULS WEBSITE RULZ:)