PDA

View Full Version : Glen Bradley sign strategy

GunnyFreedom
05-08-2010, 08:56 PM
OK, so I've resolved on what to do for my sign strategy. I had 100 of these:

http://i41.tinypic.com/2lxghdt.gif

and about 25 to give out with 25ish left on hand.

they are being collected and can still appear in people's yards.

Starting July 01, have 500 of THESE:

http://i41.tinypic.com/14cferb.gif

for right-of-way and in people's yards. through October.

Starting October 1, use this one 50/50 with the flag just above:

http://i42.tinypic.com/2yy1b4g.gif

With less expense than you think, the signage can be used to tell a story... especially on a legislative district.

GunnyFreedom
05-08-2010, 09:10 PM
I also have an idea with the yellow one. Print the sign in one color, blue on yellow, and then use 2 color all-weather labels (bumper-stickers like) for the white-on-blue. That way the top message can be altered for breaking news, etc. or better yet, to do a burma-shave thing with 4 yellow signs in a row.....

GunnyFreedom
05-08-2010, 09:13 PM
PS: I am STILL removing "Glen" from the flag sign altogether.

also wrt red-white-and-blue, I am the only candidate in my district to use the colors. seriously. :)

runningdiz
05-08-2010, 09:19 PM
It is hard to read the first sign but I like the rest especially the blue and yellow, it stands out. I know many people running for local seats usually stick with catchy color schemes that stand out instead of the traditional red whit and blue. I know some local guy who has been in state senate for years his colors are black and orange for his signs which stands out even more around the Halloween time which is election time.

Just a couple questions:

Why would you put some signs out for just a day then recollect them?

What does the bottom of the first sign say I can't read it?

MozoVote
05-08-2010, 09:27 PM
Sorry Glen, I don't like the yellow sign at all. There is too much to read, and your website is at the bottom.

People don't need to be reminded they are in NC, or the day of the Halifax resolves. They need to notice there is this guy with a last name of BRADLEY running for something. (The casual motorist won't even remember it's a statehouse race. If they recognize your last name alone, the sign is accomplishing something.)

Experimenting with colors is OK, but keep it simple and to the point.

VOTE BRADLEY is the message.
BRADLEY STATEHOUSE 49 would be okay.

But don't make it more complex than that.

GunnyFreedom
05-08-2010, 09:28 PM
It is hard to read the first sign but I like the rest especially the blue and yellow, it stands out. I know many people running for local seats usually stick with catchy color schemes that stand out instead of the traditional red whit and blue. I know some local guy who has been in state senate for years his colors are black and orange for his signs which stands out even more around the Halloween time which is election time.

Just a couple questions:

Why would you put some signs out for just a day then recollect them?

What does the bottom of the first sign say I can't read it?

Yeah, sorry, that was done int he two-color inks that best go to the printer. lemme dig up a sharper copy:

http://i44.tinypic.com/260zss5.gif

the fine print is basically irrelevant, it was a message to DOT that the volunteer network maintains the signs. It did help a little, actually. :)

The short sign-bomb will be tailored for impact. May 20 is the day we are trying to recognize. if we do it 2 or three days, then they should be before May 20 not after. people have a short attention span, and if I am using this to recognize a date then I don't really want to start showing them until May 19th, so that people will be able to connect it.

Making sure the signs are back up after the event will enhance their impact later in the race when we explode in October with 500 of the eye-burners.

GunnyFreedom
05-08-2010, 09:33 PM
Sorry Glen, I don't like the yellow sign at all. There is too much to read, and your website is at the bottom.

People don't need to be reminded they are in NC, or the day of the Halifax resolves. They need to notice there is this guy with a last name of BRADLEY running for something. (The casual motorist won't even remember it's a statehouse race. If they recognize your last name alone, the sign is accomplishing something.)

Experimenting with colors is OK, but keep it simple and to the point.

VOTE BRADLEY is the message.

The yellow sign is not about me though. I am only secondary to its purpose. It's purpose is to move the people in the direction learning why our flag has those two dates. I answer the question at the top of my website.

You are thinking this sign is about name-recognition but it is not. It is about activism in a way that will connect me with a community.

I am not running just an educational campaign, I am running to win, but I do have a big educational component, and the yellow sign is a big part of that.

The more people who get drawn into the narrative of the birth of freedom, the larger my natural base grows. :cool:

GunnyFreedom
05-08-2010, 09:36 PM
You also have to remember that a large population sector where we usually do poorly lines around the spot that made April 12th famous....and I have already made HUGE gains there....

runningdiz
05-08-2010, 09:51 PM
I had to look up why May 20th was significant haha. I live in Mecklenburg county now and had no clue. I still don't understand why you would pull the signs. People are just going to see them there one day and gone the next and won't get what you are trying to do. More people will see the date may 20 1775 if you leave the signs out longer causing more people to possibly research it.

aclove
05-08-2010, 11:04 PM
I think I gotta go with Mozovote on this one, Glen. Education is important, no doubt about that, but I think you've got more and better opportunities for that after you get elected. And even if you were running purely an educational campaign (which I know you're not), I just don't know that people can read all that from a moving vehicle.

Just my 2 cents.

GunnyFreedom
05-08-2010, 11:50 PM
I think I gotta go with Mozovote on this one, Glen. Education is important, no doubt about that, but I think you've got more and better opportunities for that after you get elected. And even if you were running purely an educational campaign (which I know you're not), I just don't know that people can read all that from a moving vehicle.

Just my 2 cents.

all they will really see is Freedom, "some date" and glenbradley.net so they will go to glenbradley.net to look up "some date" since it was so all-fired important.

October will be a mix of both signs of course, not just the yellow only. and 500 signs if used right, can reach the entire district to include supporters yards.

the idea is to go beyond recognition, into attachment. I'm trying to leverage attachment from the sign coverage by applying a startling contrast. By using both of the signs in October (basically double the necessary coverage for the entire district) the one idea is attached to the other, at a deeper level. In the voting booth: "this guy really cares about North Carolina"

Typical commuter awareness will extend to "oh yeah that flag guy, and he seems to be attached to this freedom thing." and that level of awareness is fine by me.

I am aware that it is a more articulated sign strategy than campaigns generally engage, and maybe skip the May 20 bomb altogether for the October surprise. Capture attention and deliver a message. Message 1: Glen cares about America, Honors and obeys the Constitution. Message 2: Glen cares about North Carolina and freedom and history.

Almost every field in which signs are deployed (except maybe road signs) the primary purpose of the sign is a message. For 100 years, all political signs have been about a name and a name alone. Just because it's not normally done does not mean that I that I think messages should not be delivered on signs. Their use has to be calculated, however.

I depart with tradition because I believe that signs really can be used for messaging, and for some people, those signs will be the only contact they will ever have with the candidate. Without at least some messaging on signage, even with the name there would be nothing to draw on to make a decision. He only needs to hear from the other guy once to get his vote.

by incorporating messaging into signage, at least those who we may never reach have something to weigh in their decision.

Capture attention and deliver a message. That's what signage should be about.

Message 1: Glen cares about America, Honors and obeys the Constitution.
Message 2: Glen cares about North Carolina and about freedom and history.

Now you heard the other guy when the company held a labor meeting, and he just said the same thing they all did, but you didn't go anywhere to hear about Glen.

Now that's all you get, and now you are in a voting booth. so what do you do?

GunnyFreedom
05-08-2010, 11:58 PM
You have to remember that the most successful signage strategies in history have actually engaged the public. Examples are:

macrocosm: Burma-Shave and South Of The Border.

microcosm: Political signage has been largely ineffective specifically because they lack engagement. Tea party signs are all the rage, because they are engaging.

lynnf
05-09-2010, 04:19 AM
You have to remember that the most successful signage strategies in history have actually engaged the public. Examples are:

macrocosm: Burma-Shave and South Of The Border.

microcosm: Political signage has been largely ineffective specifically because they lack engagement. Tea party signs are all the rage, because they are engaging.

yeah, but did they use vague yellow/blue signs?

I don't like the yellow/blue sign. but use your best judgment since you think it will suit a particular area.

lynn

Southron
05-09-2010, 06:57 AM
I actually like the blue and yellow sign fwiw.

rancher89
05-09-2010, 07:33 AM
My 2 cents

I like your point of view on the usage of the signs, B U T I'm afraid that you may be losing the forest to get the trees, to mangle a phrase...

I like the color scheme of the yellow and blue signs, but I'm with Mozo on what you need to get across to the DRIVING BY public. Maybe have your

"Glen Bradley
State House 49" (or just "House 49")

in the yellow banner areas with just the "N * C" in the middle, make the website a little smaller maybe--just a little smaller, not unreadable...

Then in your website you can have a version of your roadside sign that has what you want on the sign now, and explain why it's there. That way when they see the signs on the road you are reinforcing the knowledge they glean from the lit or from the website if they are curious enough......

The number one thing I DON'T like about the yellow and blue sign is that you don't have the district on the sign. You really need to pin that down for those who have no idea what you are running for and believe me it makes a difference.

I know you are really invested in the "resolves" and with the gun bill getting introduced and passed, BUT this is YOUR ELECTION and you need to put that first, the education will come as you campaign......

Look at BJ's signs, simple, clear, to the point. Yet he's done an incredible job educating the electorate.

The signs don't educate, they are there to remind the driver to either:

1. Remember what they heard/read when they met you or a volunteer or read on your site

or
2. after seeing the sign for weeks they finally go to the website and read what you are all about....and why the quirky sign?

GunnyFreedom
05-10-2010, 10:46 AM
OK better still, the yellow and blue as a tea party type sign. on cardboard and mounted on a stick. Any GB supporters going to a tea party can carry a few lol. it works way better as a tea party sign anyway "First in Freedom"

rancher89
05-10-2010, 01:36 PM
LOL sounds good!

phill4paul
05-10-2010, 02:23 PM
Glenn I'm gonna go against the grain here and say I like your idea. I would recommend some point of graphic that ties the two signs together. Perhaps the Blue/Yellow .net graphic. Having two different signs I think is a good idea. Tieing education and campaign into one I think is a win/win. Good luck whichever you choose. Any money bombs coming up?

TCE
05-10-2010, 02:24 PM
Any money bombs coming up?

There is one preliminarily planned for early June, we shall see.

phill4paul
05-10-2010, 04:15 PM
There is one preliminarily planned for early June, we shall see.

Sounds good!:)

Cowlesy
05-27-2010, 06:04 PM
Campaign update????

zero
05-27-2010, 09:24 PM
I definitely like the ones you have posted out on Rt. 1, they look good and are easily readable. Let me know if you need some help putting signs up, I work in Youngsville but live in Greenville so it would be easy to put them on Hwy 96 on my way home.

invisible
05-27-2010, 11:03 PM
or better yet, to do a burma-shave thing with 4 yellow signs in a row.....

Freedom Fighter

invisible
05-27-2010, 11:03 PM

Not Turncoat

invisible
05-27-2010, 11:04 PM

Bradley Statehouse

invisible
05-27-2010, 11:05 PM

Come And Vote!