PDA

View Full Version : Crooks & Liars labels Ron Paul as a "far-right extremist"

Cynanthrope
05-08-2010, 01:27 PM
Somewhat predictably, the professional fearmongers at Fox News have been hosting all kinds of segments about the currency riots in Greece suggesting that "America could be next!" (Of course, the corollary to this is "it's all Obama's fault".)

So of course the situation was ripe for Rep. Ron Paul to bring his own unique brand of wingnuttery to the airwaves, which he happily did Thursday for Megyn Kelly on Fox's America Live program:

Kelly: You know, it's really scary to see what can happen in a society when the overspending comes home to roost -- you know, when you see the consequences of years and years of overspending. Obviously people here are very worried about our debt and our deficit. Congressman Paul, could this kind of thing happen here? Could what we're seeing in Greece and California happen on a nationwide basis here?

Paul: Oh yeah. Absolutely. There's going to be anger, and there's going to be riots in the streets as well.

But this is all a consequence of the fact that why and how do governments spend like this? It's because they don't have sound money. When we run up deficits, we tax, but never enough. We can't tax, it would ruin the economy. Then we borrow, and we get away with that for a long time. But we rely on the printing presses from the Federal Reserve to create the money, and that's where the problem is.

This is why we have to look at the Federal Reserve, we have to get an audit of the Federal Reserve, we have to look at the monetary system and the dollar system, because you can't have fake money. This is counterfeit! And we've been operating like this since 1971. At no time in the history of the world has the whole world been on fiat money for so long -- building up these financial bubbles, distorting the economies and running up all this debt. And it has to be paid for.

Now, Paul manages to sound reasonable in all this, but this is really quite a display of far-right extremism: after all, he just called the American dollar counterfeit. And though he never utters the words "gold standard" here, that's what he's talking about: The United States removed the dollar from the gold standard in 1971.

This extremism is at the root of his advocacy for an audit of the Fed, and why he joined up with Alan Grayson in his efforts to get a bill requiring an audit of the Fed through Congress. It's also why he's so furious at the compromise hammered out by Grayson and Sen. Bernie Sanders to get answered the questions about some of its decisions after 2007 -- because it doesn't give Paul the broad perennial tool he sought for destroying the Fed altogether.

DDay had a powerfully insightful post on this:

Now I know Ron Paul and some libertarians are angered by this deal. But understand that Ron Paul doesn’t want an audit of the Federal Reserve. He wants to end the Federal Reserve. The best-selling book “End the Fed” that he wrote tipped me off to this. He wants to go back to hard-money policies and a return to the gold standard. Now, you can argue that this would end the cartel of central bankers scheming with their monetary policy, or that it would turn US monetary policy into the inflation-uber-alles laissez-faire mess we’re seeing in Europe that is threatening a global depression. The consequences for Paul’s favored end-state would be catastrophic if implemented in real time. This Fed is failing in different ways – and their actions should draw more scrutiny – but eliminating it would return us to the Stone Age.

And so you should probably know who you’re dealing with. There’s no good reason for the restrictions on this particular audit, but in its streamlined form, it seeks to answer one question – what did the Fed do on an emergency basis with two trillion dollars in taxpayer money. Not only does the Sanders amendment force an answer to that question, it opens it up to public scrutiny in ways that Paul-Grayson didn’t. As Baker says, this is a beginning and not an ending for transparency and accountability.

David Vitter may offer the original proposal for a vote and more power to him. But an audit really is just an audit. Ron Paul wanted to use an audit as a tool to destroy the Fed.

What Digby says:

Ron Paul, a fake libertarian, Goldbug John Bircher, has a very different agenda than progressives on almost everything and his support for auditing the Fed is based upon different goals. Therefore, when the legislation changed in ways that don't advance that goal he is unhappy.

Progressive economists call the compromise a "big victory." Paul's balking because the legislation no longer fits his agenda. That's fine. The senate came on board because of the changes and the conference will probably change it again. This is just plain old sausage making that benefits the progressive side for once. Unless one actually agrees with Ron Paul's kooky Fed obsession, there's no reason to care what he thinks about it.

I've written a great deal over the years about Ron Paul and his deep background as a far-right extremist, including his fetish about the Federal Reserve:

hXXp://crooksandliars.com/david-neiwert/ron-pauls-inner-far-right-extremist

Anti Federalist
05-08-2010, 01:35 PM
Fuck a bunch of left wing hypocrite sluts.

Where the fuck were you people on the anniversary of the start of the Iraq war?

Huh?

Half a million people show up in protest in 2007.

8,000 show up in 2010.

Home, worshiping your version of the state god, Obama, just like the idiots that worshiped their version of the state god, Bush.

Fuck you people, you're as bad as the neo cons.

RonPaulwillWin
05-08-2010, 01:36 PM
^^ post of the week?

lester1/2jr
05-08-2010, 01:38 PM
The best-selling book “End the Fed” that he wrote tipped me off to this.

holy crap dude, scotland yard should hire you, you are the next sherlock holmes.

that article shows zero understanding of the bill. grayson and saunders are liberals, they caved therefore crooks and donkeys agrees with their selling out EVEN THOUGH THEY DON"T UNDERSTAND IT

scary left wing groupthinkers SHOW YOUR WORK why is ron paul wrong?

Mini-Me
05-08-2010, 01:45 PM
At least we're in the "then they fight you" stage...or is this still "then they laugh at you?" Hrm.

Lovecraftian4Paul
05-08-2010, 01:47 PM
Leftists are stupid shits. I do not think they know what the Federal Reserve is.

Brooklyn Red Leg
05-08-2010, 01:50 PM
Now, you can argue that this would end the cartel of central bankers scheming with their monetary policy, or that it would turn US monetary policy into the inflation-uber-alles laissez-faire mess we’re seeing in Europe that is threatening a global depression. The consequences for Paul’s favored end-state would be catastrophic if implemented in real time. This Fed is failing in different ways – and their actions should draw more scrutiny – but eliminating it would return us to the Stone Age.

Fucking morons! We're GOING to end up in the Dark Ages if we don't loosen the death-grip The Federal Reserve has on our money. Jesus Christ, do these people NOT understand what brought down the Roman Empire? Inflation is going to kill us (its pretty well got us beyond life-support at this point) and the people who are going to be hurt the most are the poor. The Middle-Class will cease to exist. Then we'll be living in the Dystopian Corporatist nightmare people like William Gibson wrote about.

Freedom 4 all
05-08-2010, 01:52 PM
scary left wing groupthinkers SHOW YOUR WORK why is ron paul wrong?

Because he is a Republican from a Red State.

Fox McCloud
05-08-2010, 01:54 PM
crooks and liar is a leftist blog, so what do you expect? What I think is rather humorous is they think that by automatically labeling someone "right-wing extremist" makes them incorrect, flawed, and wrong (same goes with labeling someone a left-wing extremist)--there's really no reasoning or logic behind the statements at all.

The guy really shows he has absolutely no idea what he's talking about by posting this:

or that it would turn US monetary policy into the inflation-uber-alles laissez-faire mess we’re seeing in Europe that is threatening a global depression.

sorry, but gold standard doesn't lead to price inflation; it leads to price deflation---and to characterize Europe as Laissez-faire is laughable, at best, intellectually dishonest, at worst.

Sadly, people will read stuff like this, not research any of the facts and instantly dismiss Paul because he was labeled by a blogger as a "right-wing extremist", yet the blogger provides zero evidences for his policies being good or bad.

lynnf
05-08-2010, 01:59 PM
maybe at least they didn't say he was a libertarian!

lynn

RM918
05-08-2010, 03:38 PM
And again, they perpetuate the 'Wants to return to the gold standard' thing rather than the truth of him just wanting competing currencies.

erowe1
05-08-2010, 04:03 PM
I just wish he would get called that during the Republican primaries.

catdd
05-08-2010, 04:12 PM
The neocons call him a rino and the left calls him a right wing extremist.
What is it about RP that makes him such an enigma to those fools?

fletcher
05-08-2010, 04:37 PM
Coming from the retards at crooks & liars that is quite a complement. I find it amusing how they expose their ignorance in articles like that. Who knew Europe is laissez-faire? LOL.

Lovecraftian4Paul
05-08-2010, 04:38 PM
I'm not totally sure, but it seems like this site was sold to the idiot mainstream left? I swear I remember an earlier incarnation of Crooks and Liars that actually had stuff about Clinton and Democrats on there. Now, they read like your run of the mill Republican bashing blog.

libertybrewcity
05-08-2010, 05:22 PM
these lefties are ridiculous. they will be sorry when the currency crisis hits and they are homeless with no gold and silver :)

silentshout
05-08-2010, 05:28 PM
Fuck a bunch of left wing hypocrite sluts.

Half a million people show up in protest in 2007.

8,000 show up in 2010.

Home, worshiping your version of the state god, Obama, just like the idiots that worshiped their version of the state god, Bush.

Fuck you people, you're as bad as the neo cons.

^^ Love this post!

NYgs23
05-08-2010, 05:42 PM
Did I miss something? When did Grayson cave in?

fj45lvr
05-08-2010, 08:52 PM
"back to the stone age"??

when the "STATE" wasn't all-powerful and the people were not merely slaves to those that OWN it??

When there wasn't "legal tender" law FORCING the cavemen to use worthless "money"??

This guy is a joke. If he believes in "freedom" or "the land of the free" then lets see COMPETING currency and do away with "legal tender"

all we need is the repeal of "legal tender" and we wouldn't have to worry anymore about "control".

Vessol
05-08-2010, 08:55 PM
Ron Paul has been repeating this well into the Bush years, god damn fucking hypocrites.

They don't give a shit now that their man is in office.

And mark my words, the moment another NeoCon gets in office or they take Congress, watch the Tea Party fall apart.

Vessol
05-08-2010, 09:11 PM
I wrote this email to the editor.

"I used to read Crooks and Liars and enjoy it. Now it's turned into a partisan joke.

I thought you guys were better. I thought you guys knew better.

It appears I was wrong, and I've seen how wrong I was.

Being a classical liberal myself, I've always been against war and for the free market.

I thought that the more mainstream liberals were on my side for the past years, they were against the expansion of the state and the foreign wars abroad.

And then 2008 rolled on by and I was proven wrong. I learned just how much the mainstream liberals actually care about their beliefs and their values.

In 2007 half a million people showed up on the anniversary of the Iraq War to protest it. In 2010 only 8,000 people showed up.

And now the right is doing the same thing, attaching themselves to the anti-war and the anti-state movement. And you know what? When they get their man in office and get a majority in the House, they'll just face-heel turn.

That's what the mainstream right and the mainstream left do. You guys are the real crooks and liars."

BuddyRey
05-08-2010, 10:26 PM
What I find most astounding about this site is the sheer volume of ad hominem and heedless vitriol in the comments section. The whole damn thing reads like someone just handed out laptops to Frank Booth and Travis Bickle and said, "let's paint the blogosphere red, boys!"

BuddyRey
05-09-2010, 01:08 AM
Ron Paul has been repeating this well into the Bush years, god damn fucking hypocrites.

They don't give a shit now that their man is in office.

And mark my words, the moment another NeoCon gets in office or they take Congress, watch the Tea Party fall apart.

Sadly, I think you're right on the money here. Soon, we'll go from being "right-wing extremists" in the eyes of the media back to "left-wing radical America-haters." Libertarians are the only political players to whom no objective frame of reference ever seems to be applied. :(

jsu718
05-09-2010, 01:19 AM
Sadly, I think you're right on the money here. Soon, we'll go from being "right-wing extremists" in the eyes of the media back to "left-wing radical America-haters." Libertarians are the only political players to whom no objective frame of reference ever seems to be applied. :(

Well we still need to do better work on adding the proper dimension. People seem to get left and right, so libertarian should be the head and statist should be the ass. Maybe that will catch on.

BuddyRey
05-09-2010, 02:28 AM
Well we still need to do better work on adding the proper dimension. People seem to get left and right, so libertarian should be the head and statist should be the ass. Maybe that will catch on.

That would be a refreshing departure from business-as-usual. :D Let's hope we can spark a paradigm shift so that people can begin to make those distinctions.