PDA

View Full Version : Will the Growing Latino population Help Democrats

bobbyw24
05-08-2010, 11:18 AM
It is our job to see that this is not true-we need to spread our liberty message to the Latino and black communities

Growing Latino population will help Democrats
Froma Harrop - Creators Syndicate

It was over frozen lattes three blocks from the Alamo that Lydia Camarillo and I discussed the wave of Latino voters expected to change politics in Texas — and America. Camarillo is vice president of the Southwest Voter Registration Education Project, a group that signs up new Hispanic voters and spurs them to the polls.

Some Texans predict that the “Latino giant” won't fully flex its political might until 2012. Some say 2014. Others see the tough immigration law in Arizona moving the impact to this year. All agree that when Latinos arrive at the polls in huge numbers, the results won't please Republicans.

“I think they know that the day is coming,” Camarillo said. “That's why they are coming up with obstructions, such as voter ID laws.”

And there's not much Republicans can do about a surging Latino electorate in the short term. Even if they appeal to more Latino voters and Hispanic turnout stays weak, the raw numbers may overwhelm them.

As Rice University political analyst Bob Stein explains, over the past three decades, Latino support for Democrats in Texas has actually fallen from 75 percent to 60 percent. But as Democrats lost 15 percentage points, they almost doubled in the number of votes received because of the explosive growth in the Latino population.

“The Democrats can afford to lose a significant percentage of the vote and still gain on the base,” Stein said. “Elections are determined by how many votes you get.”

And the expansion of that base is extraordinary. Steve Murdock, former director of the U.S. Census and now a professor at Rice University, has the numbers.

In 1980, there were 3 million Hispanics in Texas. In 2008, the total nearly reached 9 million, and projections put it at almost 10 million this year.

“One national figure that sticks out is the change in the younger-than-20 population,” Murdock told me. Between 2000 and 2008, the number of 20-and-younger non-Hispanic whites fell by 2.6 million, while Latinos increased by 3.8 million.

“In many ways, the Texas of today is the U.S. of tomorrow,” he added.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/opinion/Growing_Latino_population_will_help_Democrats.html

erowe1
05-08-2010, 11:53 AM
I don't think that's the right way to frame the question.

In a two-party system like ours, there will never arise long-term one-party rule. Every time pundits look at some short term huge gain that one party gets, some blow hard brings up that idea, and every time they turn out to be wrong. What happens when the balance shifts overwhelmingly toward one party in the short term is that both parties shift in the direction of that party's base, until there's a new equilibrium either to the right or the left of where the old one was, or until the pendulum swings too far in response and then swings back the other way again.

In this case, if the growing hispanic population is overwhelmingly Democrat, it will help the Democrats in the short term, but the result will be that the far left base of the Democrat party will embrace the opportunity to move their party more to the left. Meanwhile, the Republican party will move more toward the center picking up disenchanted moderates who would have voted for the previous more moderate Democrats but not the more liberal recalibrated ones.

The never ending pendulum of the two party's will keep going without a hitch. But what will change will be the platforms of both parties.

Linus
05-08-2010, 12:01 PM
Hispanics are said to be more "culturally conservative," and so far that's true, but affluence has a way of eroding social mores, quickly and disturbingly.

Let's see, a culture based largely on machismo...will they be able to embrace a cultural worldview that includes a federal ban on monogamy, abortion-on-demand, and violence, violence, violence?

Gee, it's anybody's guess. My spidey-sense tells me we might have a sale.

MelissaWV
05-08-2010, 12:48 PM
I dunno, but every time I see one of these threads/articles, I wonder why I want to associate myself with people who'd rather dissect support by demographic than just work on polishing the message and getting it out to as many people as possible.

stu2002
05-09-2010, 12:29 PM
I dunno, but every time I see one of these threads/articles, I wonder why I want to associate myself with people who'd rather dissect support by demographic than just work on polishing the message and getting it out to as many people as possible.

It is pertinent since Latinos and blacks much more so than whites vote as blocs and vote on issues that help their groups; things like open borders, higher taxes and more government programs.

If you don't care to associate with RPF, please go over to the La Raza forums.

MelissaWV
05-09-2010, 01:14 PM
It is pertinent since Latinos and blacks much more so than whites vote as blocs and vote on issues that help their groups; things like open borders, higher taxes and more government programs.

If you don't care to associate with RPF, please go over to the La Raza forums.

Yes, unless I want to tailor "the message" to a certain race and attract "them" rather than just talk about what's actually important to the country... unless I believe "they" are somehow intellectually inferior and more likely to vote stupidly, so "they" are in need of someone smarter to dangle shiny objects in front of them... unless all of that is the case, I belong on the La Raza forums.

Right.

Will the Growing Ignorant Collectivist population Help the Two-Party System remain in power?

:rolleyes: