PDA

View Full Version : Hayworth no more libertarian than McCain?

AbolishTheGovt
05-08-2010, 04:26 AM
I've heard a lot of hype about how JD Hayworth is a "conservative, Tea Partier" challenger to John McCain and how the fact that Ron Paulian candidate Chris Simcox dropped out and endorsed Hayworth gives Hayworth libertarian credentials.

However, I went to Hayworth's website, and whereas JD Hayworth claims he opposes bailouts, opposes cap-and-trade, and would have supported the Bush tax cuts (unlike McCain on those three counts), Hayworth supports torture, which John McCain opposes... Hayworth would not have been as tough on Bush's judical nominees as McCain was... Hayworth wants marriage to be a federal matter, whereas McCain wants it to be a state matter... and Hayworth wants Gitmo kept open, whereas McCain wants it closed.

It sounds like for every instance where Hayworth is more libertarian than McCain, there is another instance where McCain is more libertarian than Hayworth.

Which raises the question, why did Simcox endorse Hayworth, and is there any reason to have any hope that a Sen. Hayworth will be any better, on the whole, than a Sen. McCain?

Flash
05-08-2010, 07:07 AM
He must be doing something right, the establishment hates him:

http://thinkprogress.org/2010/05/06/hayworth-glenn-beck/

Bern
05-08-2010, 07:12 AM
He's a politician:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J._D._Hayworth

On the other hand, McCain is outright lobbying to enact laws specifically undermining the Constitution and civil liberties. He also has some seniority in the Senate. I don't think we can afford to keep him there and if he is defeated, it would be a *huge* political statement - former GOP candidate for POTUS loses Senate seat. Suck it neocons!

MozoVote
05-08-2010, 07:17 AM
Hayworth is a blowhard political crank. But McCain has been a duplicitous flip flopper since his first run against W.

If I lived in Arizona, I'd vote for Hayworth just to finally push McCain off the news headlines for his "quote-of-the-day".

erowe1
05-08-2010, 07:26 AM
why did Simcox endorse Hayworth

Probably immigration. It's the pet issue of both of them, and the one thing they both have as their biggest gripe against McCain.

I agree with you, overall, Hayworth's voting record is about on par with McCain's. Hayworth's vote for Medicare Part D, which McCain voted against (I think), is enough to wipe out any advantage he has in opposing amnesty IMHO.

I definitely wouldn't go along with putting Hayworth in the same category of any of the candidates who get support on this board for positive reasons (and not just not being the other guy). But at the same time, I think there's something to be said for following a "kick the bums out" philosophy, no matter who that means they're getting replaced with, just for the sake of making other elected officials feel a greater sense of fear of their constituents. Hayworth may end up being an equally bas senator as McCain (though not a worse one, at any rate). But he would also know that what happened to McCain could happen to him, and that would be good.