PDA

View Full Version : In case you forgot who's funding RussiaToday

WaltM
05-08-2010, 02:42 AM
ever wondered why Russia Today reads like a blogger?

Seems to know how to cater to young people, internet generation, and conspiracy theorists?

In case it's not obvious to you, RT is funded by the Russian government to plant anti-American seeds.
(their primary foreign languages are English & Arabic)

Look what they're celebrating!

http://rt.com/s/obj/staticpages/pics/944x54_pobeda.138.jpg

The victory of WW2 wasn't for freedom, at least not for these people!

The Patriot
05-08-2010, 02:50 AM
I haven't heard them say anything anti-american. I have heard them cover objectively, and give both sides of the story, and provide that alternative perspective which is often lacking in the MSM.

As for the celebration, what, are you calling them communists? Russia has always had a victory day parade, it is nothing new. It is an important day in Russian history. Why are you surprised the largest Russian news agency is covering an important holiday?

eproxy100
05-08-2010, 02:59 AM

Seems to know how to cater to young people, internet generation, and conspiracy theorists?

In case it's not obvious to you, RT is funded by the Russian government to plant anti-American seeds.

Excuse me, but you sound like a neo-con.

libertarian4321
05-08-2010, 03:30 AM

Unlike the USA, Russia was invaded during WW2- they fought a long and bloody war with the Axis powers, killing far more German soldiers than all the rest of the Allied nations combined.

So why would they not celebrate the defeat of a nation which invaded their country?

nandnor
05-08-2010, 05:53 AM
nvm

Stary Hickory
05-08-2010, 06:55 AM
I haven't heard them say anything anti-american. I have heard them cover objectively, and give both sides of the story, and provide that alternative perspective which is often lacking in the MSM.

As for the celebration, what, are you calling them communists? Russia has always had a victory day parade, it is nothing new. It is an important day in Russian history. Why are you surprised the largest Russian news agency is covering an important holiday?

No they do it all the time. They have latched on to the financial crisis and those politicians who most criticize American policy. They do this because it presents America in a very weak light. Watch some Russian TV for awhile and you will understand their mentality. They are very much sore and upset and in competition with the US.

The mentality is they lost the cold war and it is still in the psyche over there. They relish bad news concerning the US. It just so happens we do have a corrupt government and corrupt politicians, so there is plenty to report on. But do mot mistake the fact they picked up on some of the true problems in the US as a desire on their part to seek the truth, if all was rosey over here they would try and find something else.

Kludge
05-08-2010, 06:59 AM
I figured everyone already understood RT as advocacy journalism against American dominance.

I haven't watched news in a few months, but from what I would watch, RT only covered stories which paint the U.S. as crumbling and opposed by its citizens which is simply not the case. The U.S. government is stronger than it's ever been and it's abusing its power as much as could be expected.

It's not coincidence that they happen to cover fringe long-shot libertarian candidates like Peter Schiff so often. Perhaps it is coincidence, however, that their news is most sensible.... well, to me, anyway. Stary sounds right on.

jabf2006
05-08-2010, 07:13 AM

Any objectionable analysis of the United States will always be perceived as anti-american because the truth hurts.

Bern
05-08-2010, 07:17 AM
There is no "objective" media. All media are battling for ideas and minds. The trick is to sort through the shit to discern the truth about things. You can find nuggets of truth everywhere.

tmosley
05-08-2010, 07:19 AM
There can be no excuse for war. War is violence on civilians, it is murder. There is nothing to celebrate over one side's victory or other's, if you consider murder a crime. The only celebration can be over the end of the horrors.

lol, and what do you think this is? Hint: they aren't celebrating the start of WWII.

Lovecraftian4Paul
05-08-2010, 07:26 AM
Russians have every right to celebrate the hellish and hard won victory of that war. The average Russian was not fighting for Stalin or communism, they were fighting for their families and their homeland. The Nazis viewed Slavs as sub-human animals to be enslaved. They intended to wipe the Ukraine clear and take the land for Germans.

Also, I'm not sure Hitler would have went down without the massive losses on the Eastern Front, short of using nukes on Berlin and other German cities. Nations that had not been invaded like Russia would have been hard pressed to sacrifice as many men as the Soviet countries did.

Imaginos
05-08-2010, 07:28 AM
There is no "objective" media. All media are battling for ideas and minds. The trick is to sort through the shit to discern the truth about things. You can find nuggets of truth everywhere.
Agree.
Every media is biased one way or another.
Processing information and selectively digesting worthy substance is up to us.

Kludge
05-08-2010, 07:31 AM
They intended to wipe the Ukraine clear and take the land for Germans.

Like Stalin....?

ChaosControl
05-08-2010, 07:35 AM
I like RT, its one of the best news sources.

tpreitzel
05-08-2010, 09:56 AM

Yes, sources of funding should always be considered in evaluating motive, but funding sources aren't the whole story.

erowe1
05-08-2010, 10:04 AM

And by "anti-American" you mean "anti-federal government." Right?

To many of us, that distinction is important.

WaltM
05-08-2010, 10:29 AM

how can a person who calls himself a patriot not know that being objective and fair is ANTI-AMERICAN?

WaltM
05-08-2010, 10:31 AM
I figured everyone already understood RT as advocacy journalism against American dominance.

I haven't watched news in a few months, but from what I would watch, RT only covered stories which paint the U.S. as crumbling and opposed by its citizens which is simply not the case. The U.S. government is stronger than it's ever been and it's abusing its power as much as could be expected.

It's not coincidence that they happen to cover fringe long-shot libertarian candidates like Peter Schiff so often. Perhaps it is coincidence, however, that their news is most sensible.... well, to me, anyway. Stary sounds right on.

exactly what i meant to say.

aravoth
05-08-2010, 12:07 PM

World War Two was won at Stalingrad. Had it not been for the Russians, the allies would have got the holy living shit kicked out of them. They should celebrate.

paulitics
05-08-2010, 12:14 PM
RT is sort of like Rachel Maddow in the sense that she allies with us, to make the case that the Tea parties are fractured between neocons and libertarians.
And she is right, that there are fundamental differences between the two groups, but she still has an agenda.

Rt's agenda is to show that America is going to collapse from a corrupt shadowy government, not unlike their own country years before, from the same criminals. This serves two purposes. It helps to portray their own government as good guys, although largely untrue.
And there is also something else much bigger going on, that would take some more analysis.

How often does a media outlet show the shadowy cabal as the bad guys, and the people as good trying to fight back? You need to think real deep as to why they are doing this. There are no such things as coincidences in media, but only agendas.

WaltM
05-08-2010, 04:19 PM
RT is sort of like Rachel Maddow in the sense that she allies with us, to make the case that the Tea parties are fractured between neocons and libertarians.
And she is right, that there are fundamental differences between the two groups, but she still has an agenda.

Rt's agenda is to show that America is going to collapse from a corrupt shadowy government, not unlike their own country years before, from the same criminals. This serves two purposes. It helps to portray their own government as good guys, although largely untrue.
And there is also something else much bigger going on, that would take some more analysis.

How often does a media outlet show the shadowy cabal as the bad guys, and the people as good trying to fight back? You need to think real deep as to why they are doing this. There are no such things as coincidences in media, but only agendas.

I think you're right, there's such a thing as "counter bias" just like there is "reverse discrimination". When I watch RT, it all sounds too good to be true, hearing exactly what I wanted to hear.