PDA

View Full Version : A fun political game: Who Said it?

Au-H2O
05-06-2010, 06:51 PM
Do you guys have some surprising quotes from prominent political figures? I'll start....guess who said this!

Regulation has gone astray. . . . Either because they have become captives of regulated industries or captains of outmoded administrative agencies, regulators all too often encourage or approve unreasonably high prices, inadequate service, and anticompetitive behavior. The cost of this regulation is always passed on to the consumer. And that cost is astronomical.

— Senator Edward Kennedy, opening remarks to the Subcommittee on Administrative Practice and Procedure, 6 February 1975.

In the absence of the gold standard, there is no way to protect savings from confiscation through inflation. There is no safe store of value.

Alan Greenspan

We might have done nothing. That would have been utter ruin. Instead we met the situation with proposals to private business and to Congress of the most gigantic program of economic defense and counterattack ever evolved in the history of the Republic.

- Herbert Hoover in 1932

We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work. And I have just one interest, and now if I am wrong somebody else can have my job. I want to see this country prosper. I want to see people get a job. I want to see people get enough to eat. We have never made good on our promises. I say after eight years of this administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started

Franklin Roosevelt's Treasury Secretary, Henry Morgenthau in 1939

TheBlackPeterSchiff
05-06-2010, 07:08 PM
wow

EN81
05-06-2010, 07:17 PM
Probably well-known to most of you, but still...

"I don't think our troops should be used for what's called nation building."

George W. Bush

Pericles
05-06-2010, 07:24 PM
.. By calling attention to a well-regulated militia for the security of the Nation, and the right of each citizen to keep and bear arms, our founding fathers recognized the essentially civilian nature of our economy. Although it is extremely unlikely that the fear of governmental tyranny, which gave rise to the 2nd amendment, will ever be a major danger to our Nation, the amendment still remains an important declaration of our basic military-civilian relationship, in which every citizen must be ready to participate in the defense of his country. For that reason I believe the 2nd Amendment will always be important.

John F. Kennedy

slothman
05-06-2010, 08:43 PM
Probably well-known to most of you, but still...
"George W. Bush"
When was this?

Au-H2O
05-06-2010, 08:48 PM
Here is another one...

The unnatural and increasingly rapid growth of the feeble-minded and insane classes, coupled as it is with a steady restriction among all the thrifty, energetic and superior stocks, constitutes a national and race danger which it is impossible to exaggerate... I feel that the source from which the stream of madness is fed should be cut off and sealed up before another year has passed.

Winston Churchill

cmasslibertarian
05-06-2010, 08:53 PM
"George W. Bush"
When was this?

He ran on a "humble" foreign policy in 2000. In part to pick up the Buchanan-type voters.

low preference guy
05-06-2010, 08:53 PM
"George W. Bush"
When was this?

YouTube - The George Bush You Forgot (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9SOVzMV2bc)

RforRevolution
05-06-2010, 09:00 PM
"The best way to destroy the capitalist system is to debauch the currency. By a continuing process of inflation, governments can confiscate, secretly and unobserved, an important part of the wealth of their citizens."

-John Maynard Keynes

Anti Federalist
05-06-2010, 09:42 PM
The Capitalists will sell us the rope with which we will hang them.

Lenin.

Well, the Russians didn't seem to learn this lesson.

But the Chinese sure as hell did.