PDA

View Full Version : @#$% Census Workers

RCA
05-06-2010, 12:00 PM
So I filled out the Census and mailed it in about a week ago. I couldn't keep up with the "don't send it in yet" or "send it in by this date" rules. I just did it when I got around to it.

A day or so ago, I got a note on my front door saying that a Census worker missed me and to call them back. So, the next day I tried calling the number on the note and there was not an answer after calling several different times that were all within the "call between" times.

Today, I called again and someone finally answered. She asked if I could tell her a time this evening when she could call me back and ask me questions (like right then wasn't good enough). I told her that I had already completed the census form and mailed it in a week ago.

She said I STILL had to complete her survey regardless whether or not I mailed the census in or not. I told her I wasn't going to take her survey since I already filled out the census. I said, besides, there are 2 people living in my house and that's all you need to know and hung up.

The weird thing was that she was saying that the deadline to mail the census in was March 31st! I distinctly remember a notice from the Census saying not to mail it until sometime in April. So which is it? Are they just doing a bait-n-switch so they are FORCED to visit your home? I wish this shit wasn't in the damn Constitution.

Paulitical Correctness
05-06-2010, 12:03 PM
Just be thankful the census has created so many jobs during harsh economic times!

Brooklyn Red Leg
05-06-2010, 12:21 PM
Just be thankful the census has created so many jobs during harsh economic times!

Sounds more like the jobs created were filled by morons. I worked Census 2000 and it sounds like RCA got the run-around by an idiot.

sb10
05-06-2010, 12:25 PM
Michelle Malkin has devoted a series of postings to letters she has received from people who were hired for the census. It's like "true confessions."

Worth checking out:

Census Boondoggle (http://michellemalkin.com/category/census/)

Koz
05-06-2010, 12:30 PM
I mailed mine back immediately when it arrived. I answered 2 (number of people that live in my house) and left all of the other questions blank. I inclueded and excert from the constitution with it for good measure.

I got one of those slips on my door last week. I guessed since I left most of it blank they tried to get me to answer them, so when I was on the phone I said 2 was the answer and the guy had no clue what to do. He tried to go down the list of questions and I just kept saying that I wasn't going to answer any of the other questions. He really had no clue what to do, he finally thanked me and hung up.

RCA
05-06-2010, 12:38 PM
I mailed mine back immediately when it arrived. I answered 2 (number of people that live in my house) and left all of the other questions blank. I inclueded and excert from the constitution with it for good measure.

I got one of those slips on my door last week. I guessed since I left most of it blank they tried to get me to answer them, so when I was on the phone I said 2 was the answer and the guy had no clue what to do. He tried to go down the list of questions and I just kept saying that I wasn't going to answer any of the other questions. He really had no clue what to do, he finally thanked me and hung up.

lol

Brooklyn Red Leg
05-06-2010, 12:42 PM
I know we were told back in 2000 that if people refused to answer, we were to thank them and then leave their property. I know I had people threaten to sic their dogs on me, call the police etc, but I NEVER did anything but be nice and courteous. I also respected it if someone said they didn't want to answer. It was an awesome job, but thankless as well, but I'd do it again if I had the chance.

tremendoustie
05-06-2010, 12:47 PM

Hey, while we're at it, let's pay some people to dig ditches, and fill them in! Everyone can be employed! Prosperity here we come!! ;)

Krugerrand
05-06-2010, 12:56 PM
Hey, while we're at it, let's pay some people to dig ditches, and fill them in! Everyone can be employed! Prosperity here we come!! ;)

This is the digital age. Perhaps we can install and uninstall software. Or even just continuously reboot computers. That way our prosperity will be built on technology!

TCE
05-06-2010, 01:05 PM
Remember to be nice and cordial with the Census Workers. Most don't know the Constitution and if you are friendly with them and explain in a polite manner why you're only answering the first question and they might just look into it. This is what I used:

"It is nothing personal, I am just only going to answer the first question, the number of people in my house is 4. It's not anything you did, I am just following the Constitution, which only requires the number of people in my house. I hope you have a nice day." I said something very similar to that in a nice voice and he seemed to take it well enough.

If we are rude and act elitist, we are not advancing the cause of liberty.

Elwar
05-06-2010, 01:39 PM
I filled mine in early. Answered "2" and that was it.

A census guy came to my door Saturday and I was polite with him telling him that there were 2 people living here as of April 1st and told him to have a nice day and reached out to shake his hand.

He kinda stumbled with his papers and was like "well, I still have a lot of questions I have to ask".

So, I allowed him to do his job and ask me questions. He allowed me to refuse to answer each question. Even the "can I put down that you're a male?". My answer was always "there are 2 people living here". Or just..."2", or "I refuse to answer racist questions".

At the end he said that not only was the census information good for choosing representatives, it was good for funding projects that require knowing the population in different areas. I responded telling him, "well now you know that there are two people at this address". He kinda stumbled on that one and thanked me for my time and left.

http://www.theronpaulteaparty.com/e107_images/banners/banner.jpg (http://www.TheRonPaulTeaParty.com)

Stary Hickory
05-06-2010, 01:58 PM
Census worker to my door.....I say "one resident" and look at him like he was a moron....he then says..."we can stop there if you like".

That was that

SovereignMN
05-06-2010, 02:51 PM
THe census clearly stated "how many residents as of 4/1/2010" yet the media was running stories in March about how people should be sending them in already. Then on 4/2 I got a recorded call saying I was late. My wife was 8.5 months pregnant in March so I wasn't going to complete it before April 1 just in case.

JoshLowry
05-17-2010, 03:40 PM
Opened the door and he gave his introduction.

I started with "Well... the answer is two."

Actually had a good talk with the guy and ended it with a respectful handshake.

sevin
05-17-2010, 05:54 PM
If we are rude and act elitist, we are not advancing the cause of liberty.

Very true and very good advice. I have to remind myself of this sometimes.

Golding
05-17-2010, 07:21 PM
Had a census worker come by today. I'm living in a rented house right now, and just moved in.

Before he got too deep into his spiel, I simply said that I am renting the house and that I filled out my census form for my primary residence. He asked if I knew any information on the people living in the house April 1st. I said that I did not, but that I would suspect they were renters with primary residence elsewhere as well. I suggested that since the primary owners did not live in the house, that the number of heads per household is probably 0. He asked me my name for reference, and instead I told him that he can put the landlord's name down. Simple as that, for me.