PDA

View Full Version : Cinco de Mayo - mostly invented by Corona beer

ChooseLiberty
05-06-2010, 11:45 AM
So we all know Cinco de Mayo marks a minor skirmish of the French and Mexicans (French won that war BTW) and isn't a Mexican national holiday and Mexican Independence day is Sept 16. -

http://open.salon.com/blog/ocularnervosa/2010/04/26/viva_cinco_de_mayo

So if Cinco de Mayo isn't a major holiday in Mexico how did it come to be celebrated in the U.S. ?

Ah, now here is a good question. In the 1980's foreign beer became trendy in the U.S. Go to any frat party and you would find guys slamming Moosehead, Fosters or even Grolsch lagers. Corona decided they wanted in on this so they started marketing themselves in America. But American beer companies worried about cheep suds coming North across the border and interfering with their grip on the market. So a distributor of Henieken started a rumor that the FDA found traces of human urine in Corona and spread false reports that Mexican workers had been observed peeing into the beer at the bottling plant, allegedly.

Corona's reputation had been badly damaged and even though they had proven the rumors to be outright lies and won a lawsuit they needed something to regain their losses in the beer market. They came up with a brilliant strategy, they needed a specific holiday in which people wouldn't want to drink Canadian, Australian, German, or even U.S. beers but only Mexican brew.

The logical choice was Mexico's independence day, September 16th, but there was a problem. It seemed that Seis de Septiembre was just too ethnic and hard to pronounce for most Americans and its official name Grito de Dolores was just too confusing and hard to explain. Corona decided to look around and soon found Cinco de Mayo, the very name just rolled off the tongue and didn't cause fear among U.S. beer drinkers, it sounded fun.

And so with a heavy marketing campaign Corona started promoting the Cinco de Mayo holiday around the U.S.. Americans, who are not shy about celebrating a holiday that involves dancing, eating and especially drinking, embraced the new holiday even though they had no idea what it was about. Spreading outward from the border states it now is a party all over America. People come out to celebrate Hispanic or Latino culture and nobody really cares about the actual origin as long as the beer keeps flowing.

MelissaWV
05-06-2010, 11:49 AM
The logical choice was Mexico's independence day, September 16th, but there was a problem. It seemed that Seis de Septiembre was just too ethnic and hard to pronounce for most Americans and its official name Grito de Dolores was just too confusing and hard to explain. Corona decided to look around and soon found Cinco de Mayo, the very name just rolled off the tongue and didn't cause fear among U.S. beer drinkers, it sounded fun.

Why would they have called it "September Sixth"?

constituent
05-06-2010, 11:51 AM

I'm pretty sure they're talking about 15 & 16 de Septiembre 1810(?). :confused:

Here's a quick summary:

http://gomexico.about.com/od/festivalsholidays/p/independence.htm

The largest Independence Day celebration takes place in Mexico City's Zocalo, which is decorated from the beginning of September with red, white and green lights and Mexican flags. On the 15th, at 11 pm the President of the Republic goes out onto the central balcony of the National Palace (Palacio Nacional), rings the bell (the same bell Hidalgo rang in 1810, brought to Mexico City in 1886) and cries to the people gathered in the square below, who enthusiastically respond "¡Viva!"

The words of the Grito may vary, but they go something like this:

¡Vivan los heroes que nos dieron patria! ¡Viva!
¡Viva Hidalgo! ¡Viva!
¡Viva Morelos! ¡Viva!
¡Viva Josefa Ortiz de Dominguez! ¡Viva!
¡Viva Allende! ¡Viva!
¡Vivan Aldama y Matamoros! ¡Viva!
¡Viva nuestra independencia! ¡Viva!
¡Viva Mexico! ¡Viva!
¡Viva Mexico! ¡Viva!
¡Viva Mexico! ¡Viva!
At the end of the third ¡Viva Mexico! the crowd goes wild waving flags, ringing noisemakers and spraying foam. Then fireworks light up the sky as the crowd cheers. Later the Mexican national anthem is sung.

Which sounds completely "foreign" right?

MelissaWV
05-06-2010, 11:53 AM
I'm pretty sure they're talking about 15 de Septiembre(?). :confused:

The article says the 16th then says Seis.

Grito de Dolores is not really an inspiringly happy name for a holiday, though, I agree.

ChooseLiberty
05-06-2010, 11:54 AM
Have you tried Ritalin?

furface
05-06-2010, 11:54 AM
My yard used to be littered with Corona beer bottle caps until a Mexican family (15 extended relatives and 8 cars) next door got foreclosed on. It's amazing that it appears to be a part of Mexican illegal immigrant culture. There's a billboard in my city that reads something like "Corona: nuestra cerveza nuestra cultura." It's hilarious.

MelissaWV
05-06-2010, 11:56 AM
Have you tried Ritalin?

What does this have to do with the fact the article you were citing has a basic factual error in it?

ChooseLiberty
05-06-2010, 11:57 AM
It means get over it. You a third grade Spanish teacher or something?

What does this have to do with the fact the article you were citing has a basic factual error in it?

constituent
05-06-2010, 12:00 PM
The article says the 16th then says Seis.

Grito de Dolores is not really an inspiringly happy name for a holiday, though, I agree.

It's a funny statement though about how advertisements and products spawn their own cultures, that's for sure.

cmasslibertarian
05-06-2010, 12:02 PM
someone is a little defensive....

MelissaWV
05-06-2010, 12:03 PM
It means get over it. You a third grade Spanish teacher or something?

No, I not a 3rd grade Spanish teacher. :rolleyes:

It's a commercialized holiday, yes, and it's stupid, and it's an excuse for the ignorant to say things like "It's Mexican Independence Day!" and other such nonsense. I just had never also heard of it as an excuse to put forth really moronic theories as to why it couldn't be held on other days. Apparently, the fact that people are too stupid to understand big numbers like "sixteen" is a factor, made only the more apparent by the author's error.

The article is generally pretty moronic, and I'm not shocked that people equate "Hispanic culture" with tacos and Corona, but it's pretty damned sad.

constituent
05-06-2010, 12:05 PM
The article is generally pretty moronic, and I'm not shocked that people equate "Hispanic culture" with tacos and Corona, but it's pretty damned sad.

What's wrong with tacos and Corona?

Next thing I know you're going to be badmouthing fruit cups and roasty corn...

Paulitical Correctness
05-06-2010, 12:11 PM
Noventa y nueve botellas de cerveza en la pared, noventa y nueve botellas de cerveza!

...I haven't practiced spanish in a few years. :(

ChooseLiberty
05-06-2010, 08:29 PM
The Frito Bandito strikes again!!!

YouTube - Frito Bandito Corn Chips Video Better Quality (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwCTiAQs8DU)

phill4paul
05-06-2010, 08:38 PM
Cinco de Mayo. Soon to be ANOTHER national holiday. Along with all the other bullshit national holidays.