PDA

View Full Version : Marco Rubio, Florida Senate Candidate, Flip-Flops On Arizona Immigration Law

bobbyw24
05-06-2010, 10:28 AM
Just a week ago, GOP Florida Senate candidate Marco Rubio became one of a handful of conservatives to come out against the recent immigration law in Arizona.

From what I have read in news reports, I do have concerns about this legislation," Rubio said. "While I don't believe Arizona's policy was based on anything other than trying to get a handle on our broken borders, I think aspects of the law, especially that dealing with 'reasonable suspicion,' are going to put our law enforcement officers in an incredibly difficult position. It could also unreasonably single out people who are here legally, including many American citizens."

http://i.huffpost.com/gen/163805/thumbs/s-US-FLORIDA-SENATE-large.jpg

He went on to say, "Throughout American history and throughout this administration we have seen that when government is given an inch it takes a mile." While I don't know what the Obama administration has to do with a decision made by state officials in Arizona, the argument against government overreach is canonical conservatism.

But all that's changed apparently! Rubio, citing "changes" to the law that he clearly doesn't really understand, is now fine with the law, and is back marching in lockstep. Here's the key excerpt from an interview with Jason Mattera:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/05/06/marco-rubio-florida-senat_n_566075.html

MelissaWV
05-06-2010, 10:30 AM
*shrugs* That was the big point of the lawful contact clause being changed. It gave people a chance to change their minds, even though it didn't really change anything about the bill.

dannno
05-06-2010, 10:32 AM
*shrugs* That was the big point of the lawful contact clause being changed. It gave people a chance to change their minds, even though it didn't really change anything about the bill.

Exactly.. wtf.. people are such sheep, the media says it is suddenly ok cause a change was made.. don't bother to look at the bill for yourself..

MelissaWV
05-06-2010, 10:35 AM
His responses are pretty priceless...

JM: If you were in the Arizona state legislature, would you have voted for the law?

MR: The second one that passed hit the right note. Yes.

JM: The first time around, would you have?

MR: Well, I would have wanted to see changes like the ones that were made because I know that that's not the intent of the bill. We're always concerned. I mean no one is in favor of a bill that would force American citizens to have to interact with law enforcement in a way that wasn't appropriate. And the first bill I thought held that door open. Since then, the changes that have been made to the bill I think greatly improve it.

bobbyw24
05-06-2010, 10:48 AM
His responses are pretty priceless...

On the Hannity show a week or more ago, Rubio said he would have voted FOR the Ariz. law as originally written. They're almost all flip-floppers.

Wie schade

teamrican1
05-06-2010, 10:55 AM
I don't really see how you can criticize him for not being intimate with the particulars of Arizona legislation. He's running for Federal office in Florida. Not state office in Arizona. From what I gather from that interview, he didn't support the law the way it was originally reported in the MSM but now he's ok with it because of the way the MSM has described it as changed. Now, the reality may be that the law didn't actually change the way the MSM wants us to believe, and some of us might know that, but as he's not an Arizona politician, I don't really see why people expect him to be super informed on this issue. If he's smart, he'd be spending all his time studying up on Federal Offshore Drilling Laws, which are going to be a huge issue in Florida this election cycle, rather than spending his time researching a state law halfway across the country that has no relevance to his state or the job he's seeking.

driege
05-06-2010, 12:19 PM
What Rubio said seems pretty reasonable to me.

Elwar
05-06-2010, 01:44 PM
Listened to him on a local radio show the other day and he seems to have polished up his stance to:
"Well, I would rather work with the federal government to fix the borders. I can understand why Arizona passed their law since they're dealing with a crisis situation right now, but the key is working at the federal level to protect the borders"

or something along those lines

http://www.theronpaulteaparty.com/e107_images/banners/banner.jpg (http://www.TheRonPaulTeaParty.com)

Imperial
05-06-2010, 02:36 PM
What was the change in the law?