PDA

View Full Version : Kids Sent Home For Wearing American Flags on Cinco De Mayo

tjeffersonsghost
05-06-2010, 10:05 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/video/local-15749667/19585803

I didnt see this anywhere on the site. Anyways, WTF?

TC95
05-06-2010, 10:21 AM
Yeah, that's pretty ridiculous considering this is the United States of America. Students should be able to wear American flag shirts any day of the year, including Cinco de Mayo.

Also, you might wanna fix "kinds" to "kids" in your title.

Danke
05-06-2010, 10:31 AM
While Cinco de Mayo sees limited significance and celebration nationwide in Mexico, the date is observed nationwide in the United States and other locations around the world as a celebration of Mexican heritage and pride. Cinco de Mayo is not Mexico's Independence Day, the most important national patriotic holiday in Mexico

What's next, no American Flags to be displayed on Canada Day?

eOs
05-06-2010, 10:34 AM
This is getting...ridiculous..

DamianTV
05-06-2010, 10:51 AM
Because if they are not Pro Mexican they are Anti American?

And I am changing the name of Cinco de Mayo to Cholo de Mayonaise.

Pete_00
05-06-2010, 11:39 AM
A provocation but a good and brave provocation. Just giving the racist chauvinist "mexicans" a taste of their own medicine. Respect for the kids and their parents for being able to see thru the media and United States of Intertainment(tm) brainwashing.

Romulus
05-06-2010, 11:42 AM
One of the kids was even half Hispanic.

So... do they celebrate the 4th of July in Mexico? How would Americans be treated down there if they did?

osan
05-06-2010, 11:45 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/video/local-15749667/19585803 (http://news.yahoo.com/video/local-15749667/19585803)

Only in California.

I hope the parents sue them into the dust.

MelissaWV
05-06-2010, 11:50 AM

So... do they celebrate the 4th of July in Mexico? How would Americans be treated down there if they did?

What do the two have to do with one another? Cinco de Mayo is an Americanized holiday... Mexico honestly doesn't care much.

Paulitical Correctness
05-06-2010, 11:54 AM
Wtf. :mad:

Michael Landon
05-06-2010, 11:59 AM
I just read this on MSN and thought "fuck that." This is America and I'll be damned if someone is going to tell me not to wear and American flag t-shirt.

What has happened to this once great Country?

- ML

No1ButPaul08
05-06-2010, 12:08 PM
Did they remove all the American flags from the classrooms and replace them with Mexican flags? It would only make sense.

Brian4Liberty
05-06-2010, 12:30 PM
The most important thing to note in this story is that the guys wearing the flags are of mixed heritage. This isn't about race, it's about national identity. Mixed heritage people have been here a long time, and never considered themselves Mexicans or part of Mexico. That is a fallacy. Californios are proud to be American.

ssforronpaul
05-06-2010, 12:42 PM
Sad day for the United States of America.

YouTube - Students Sent Home for Wearing American Flag (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cM8IyEcEQfo)

ssforronpaul

extrmmxer
05-06-2010, 12:48 PM
I say we call the school and complain. Or send letters.

dean.engelhardt
05-06-2010, 01:11 PM
Im sad there are two stories of school principals instigating intolerance and divisions based on nationality and race. I'm also refering to the Blacks only field trip.

Romulus
05-06-2010, 01:37 PM
What do the two have to do with one another? Cinco de Mayo is an Americanized holiday... Mexico honestly doesn't care much.

Exactly... cultured raped, and PC gone amuck.

Roxi
05-06-2010, 01:58 PM
this is crap.... IF thats all there is to the story. I think it possible the kids were doing more than just wearing the shirts.... whoever complained may have had a grudge against them already or they may have been being assholes to the mexican kids who knows. In which case the principal should have sent them home for being assholes and not made it about the shirts.

I do know that my little brother is a racist asshole (I love him, I do, but I'm just stating facts, he will admit this himself) and he would totally wear anything that would piss off a minority, while getting really close to their face singing america the beautiful. (He did this to a very young mexican kid once) so I could see why the other kids would complain if this was the kind of behavior they were being subjected to.

Problem is the principal wasn't watching and doesn't know what really happened so I don't know the right answer here... I know that if the kids hadn't HURT anyone then this shouldn't be a big deal at all because we can't just be letting the schools make rules on things that might possibly hurt someone right? Its not a crime if there is no victim right?

Leviathan
05-06-2010, 02:16 PM

"Half Hispanic" doesn't exist, because Hispanics are not a racial group. They're an assortment of national groups from Spanish-speaking countries, and can be of any race.

Lord Xar
05-06-2010, 02:17 PM
This is how it starts.... the takeover of America is in full - swing. The loyalty of these "new immigrants' are tenuous at best. But hey, the libertarian dream.. this nation is just gonna be the toilet for the nations of the worlds poor.

Leviathan
05-06-2010, 02:19 PM
This is how it starts.... the takeover of America is in full - swing. The loyalty of these "new immigrants' are tenuous at best. But hey, the libertarian dream.. this nation is just gonna be the toilet for the nations of the worlds poor.

You're a "libertarian"? This is an espousal of jingoistic rhetoric.

JeNNiF00F00
05-06-2010, 02:53 PM

lol

News flash. Its been in the toilet. Not because of the Mexicans but because of what WE have elected into office.

BlackTerrel
05-06-2010, 03:56 PM
Ahhhh Northern California... you are idiots :rolleyes:

BTW anyone else pick up one of the mom's names was Julie Fagerstrom? Sounds like that kid probably has enough issues at school.

A provocation but a good and brave provocation. Just giving the racist chauvinist "mexicans" a taste of their own medicine. Respect for the kids and their parents for being able to see thru the media and United States of Intertainment(tm) brainwashing.

You're an idiot.

JustinTime
05-06-2010, 07:24 PM
this is crap.... IF thats all there is to the story. I think it possible the kids were doing more than just wearing the shirts.... whoever complained may have had a grudge against them already or they may have been being assholes to the mexican kids who knows. In which case the principal should have sent them home for being assholes and not made it about the shirts.

If they had done anything other than wear shirts, trust me, the media would be all over it.

I do know that my little brother is a racist asshole (I love him, I do, but I'm just stating facts, he will admit this himself) and he would totally wear anything that would piss off a minority, while getting really close to their face singing america the beautiful. (He did this to a very young mexican kid once) so I could see why the other kids would complain if this was the kind of behavior they were being subjected to.

Why should the Mexican kid be pissed over the US flag and America the Beautiful? Getting close to his face is one thing, but the rest should be something he would regard as totally innoffensive.

This is the standard line Im hearing about this incident "Those kids were trying to provoke the Mexican kids". Sorry, if the US flag provokes you, you're the one with the problem.

JustinTime
05-06-2010, 07:25 PM
Ahhhh Northern California... you are idiots :rolleyes:

BTW anyone else pick up one of the mom's names was Julie Fagerstrom? Sounds like that kid probably has enough issues at school.

What about the name?

phill4paul
05-06-2010, 08:00 PM
"Public" Government run child care. WTF else needs to be said. End it.

BlackTerrel
05-06-2010, 11:05 PM
What about the name?

YouTube - FAGERSTROM (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxGLy3i0JhI)

silentshout
05-07-2010, 01:17 AM
Very stupid..schools should just focus on education. Who cares about the clothes? (I don't wear clothes with the flag on them because I don't like nationalism, but geez this is America and they can't wear the flag of this country? wtf

Bman
05-07-2010, 01:30 AM

I wouldn't go your route and pick on libertarians. They feel ridding us of the welfare state would fix immigration problems, which I agree with. However, you do bring up an interesting point which I think carries some weight and should be thought about. Is it a good idea to let anyone and everyone come running to any location? History shows that it is not such a good idea.

JustinTime
05-07-2010, 05:07 AM
Very stupid..schools should just focus on education. Who cares about the clothes? (I don't wear clothes with the flag on them because I don't like nationalism, but geez this is America and they can't wear the flag of this country? wtf

Its the Mexican-American kids who were jingoists here.

adolescents
05-07-2010, 05:25 AM
Sing it everyone,

"Cinco de mayo is holliday time,
holiday time in mexico,

Cinco de mayo is holliday time,
holiday time in mehico."

Public schools are awesome, friends.

Roxi
05-07-2010, 07:17 PM
If they had done anything other than wear shirts, trust me, the media would be all over it.

Why should the Mexican kid be pissed over the US flag and America the Beautiful? Getting close to his face is one thing, but the rest should be something he would regard as totally innoffensive.

This is the standard line Im hearing about this incident "Those kids were trying to provoke the Mexican kids". Sorry, if the US flag provokes you, you're the one with the problem.

sorry we sort of disagree... The mexican kid shouldn't be pissed over only that of course, its the action that he should pissed about. Haven't you ever had anyone purposely try to piss you off or invoke a fight? It can be really effing annoying. My brother also has waved a rebel flag in the face of a black kid singing some ridiculous song too, I consider that about the same thing (although I support the historical rebel flag and its true meaning, it has become a racist symbol and that is just a fact)

and I am not saying that they were trying to provoke the kids just by wearing flags, I am saying there might be more to it than that, like they may have been taunting the mexican kids in other ways.

and no I do NOT think the media would have been all over it... what media are you watching? If you haven't noticed our media isn't real friendly to our southern neighbors and if the white kids were harrassing the mexican kids I doubt they would have been so keen to tell everyone about it. Didn't you notice almost ALL of the media stories on the issue only told the side of the kids who got sent home? If you ask me those kids kinda looked like punks, but then again I have lots of experience with kids of that age, and a high percentage of them are pretty punky these days.

This is another one of those things similar to the mexicans singing the national anthem in spanish, which I could give a shit less about, if they want to be proud of being an american citizenship while sticking to their Mexican roots then so be it, and I also have more things to worry about than how Mexicans sing songs.

BUT I never said they were doing something other than wearing the clothes, I said it was possible. I am just not so quick to take the side of the boys when I don't have all the facts. IF the kids were doing nothing other than wearing the clothes then of course they shouldn't have been sent home.

I also think it is possible that the principal sent them home for their own safety, if they were being assholes then there is room for a violent action to happen.

AuH20
05-07-2010, 07:56 PM
lol

News flash. Its been in the toilet. Not because of the Mexicans but because of what WE have elected into office.

Yea, let's accelerate the transformation. Good idea. :confused:

BlackTerrel
05-09-2010, 01:10 PM
sorry we sort of disagree... The mexican kid shouldn't be pissed over only that of course, its the action that he should pissed about. Haven't you ever had anyone purposely try to piss you off or invoke a fight? It can be really effing annoying. My brother also has waved a rebel flag in the face of a black kid singing some ridiculous song too, I consider that about the same thing (although I support the historical rebel flag and its true meaning, it has become a racist symbol and that is just a fact)

There's a difference between waving a flag in someones face. And simply wearing a shit.

The fact that an American flag is deemed offensive and inappropriate in Nothern California is pretty absurd.

james1906
05-09-2010, 01:35 PM
If they were wearing French flag t-shirts, I can see it being offensive, but then it would have gone over everyone's head as Cinco de Mayo is just an excuse to shoot tequila during the week for most.

Roxi
05-11-2010, 11:34 AM
There's a difference between waving a flag in someones face. And simply wearing a shit.

The fact that an American flag is deemed offensive and inappropriate in Nothern California is pretty absurd.

uh yeah, I realize that which was my original point was MAYBE just MAYBE they were doing more than just wearing a shirt.

Have any of you been around young teens lately? THEY ARE ASSHOLES! (not saying young teenagers haven't been assholes for decades, I was one, you were one, don't deny it)

TC95
05-11-2010, 12:01 PM
uh yeah, I realize that which was my original point was MAYBE just MAYBE they were doing more than just wearing a shirt.

Have any of you been around young teens lately? THEY ARE ASSHOLES! (not saying young teenagers haven't been assholes for decades, I was one, you were one, don't deny it)

Maybe they were just doing it cuz it was cinco de Mayo, BUT as long as they weren't saying or doing nasty things to people I don't think we can try to be the motive police. How do we KNOW that's their motive? We don't. You can assume all you want, but just cuz it happens to be cinco de Mayo and someone happens to be wearing an American flag shirt, it doesn't mean they're doing it BECAUSE it's cinco de Mayo and they're just trying to irritate people.

I'm not saying that YOU necessarily are assuming anything. I'm just saying that the schools don't need to put themselves in a position where they are questioning people's motives as long as they're not hurting anyone. If the simple act of wearing an American flag shirt offends someone, then so be it. This is the United States of America and we can wear American flags around here whether it's cinco de Mayo, the 4th of July, or March 31st.

MelissaWV
05-11-2010, 12:06 PM

Wearing a shit is ill-advised.

Danke
05-11-2010, 12:11 PM
Wearing a shit is ill-advised.

Ya, it makes you look like a turd.

angelatc
05-11-2010, 12:26 PM
Very stupid..schools should just focus on education. Who cares about the clothes? (I don't wear clothes with the flag on them because I don't like nationalism....,

Then you should wear clothes with flags on them, to piss the nationalists off. The flag code says
(d) The flag should never be used as wearing apparel, bedding, or drapery

Leviathan
05-11-2010, 02:54 PM
Meaning an actual flag. You can see how consistently that particular provision is applied, though.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_pTBUHkqyshM/SahZ_ZjTmQI/AAAAAAAAAPQ/4T3lBCeYiRg/s400/Coffins.jpg